Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't know poverty like I do.
    (I usually call it "disenfranchised".)
    At your age you just blew it. Your smart and talented. You blew the gravy train when it was there to be grasped. So don't lay that guilt on me or any body else. Your the one responsible for your own destiny.
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Fillibuster!
      (and Bob...)

That would be honestly funny if anyone ever named their child "Poverty". Except to Poverty herself, of course.

(After my first two choices of "Bela" for a boy, or "Polly Ester" for a girl, I was sensibly dissuaded.)

My point, if I can convey one to this community, is that I was drawn to motorcycling long ago, when it was the best option for limited means.
      That's back when, in the Midwest anyway, anyone on an obsolete American-made motorcycle was also "profiled" as trash.

It became a necessary, but bad "career choice", with no 'safety net' or family resources to fall back upon.

Times have changed, and I am greatfull for that, but in all honesty, my youthfull choice of "lifestyle" (which was diametrically different from the new "lifestylers" that rule web communities and the streets today), has compromised my chances of ever enjoying the sport, the way Cannonball contestants are able.

My only gratification is that some who have succeeded are gratefull that I contributed, in my minor manner.

The "Cannonball" not only revives History, but it stokes the dying fires.
      And not a minute too soon for me.

....Cotten
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-10-2013, 05:48 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Tom, I was thinking of when we could only feed the cat by means of the dog .... back in those tough times, ya know.
        I spent a few bucks of my bale-throwing money to buy black spray paint for the old 4-door's wheels (no chromes or mags for me). Got chewed out for it too.

Reckon my lifestyle choices limited my earlier opportunities too, like marriage and parenthood. But the best thing for me would have been to hear of the AMCA!

Comment

Tom, put down the Boonsfarm. It's time for bed.
          AMCA #3149
          http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

got to say, there are all walks of life enjoying 2 wheels. pretty sure some folks doing the Cannonball are doing it on a shoe string and doing without in order to pull it off. pretty neat to think of all the history crossing this once Great Country and all the folks that it does make smile..
            gww57.com

Comment

Sorry Bob,

I already have a bed partner. But a little apple wine suddenly sounds good.

Many of us "blew it" many times; We are all our own worst enemy, however, my choices that made me bank-account poor also made me rich in experiences that most can only fantasize.

No doubt I would have made much, much more money if I didn't spend so much time on my motorcycle.
              Glad I did it while I could.

Back to topic, I am tremendously greatful for the 'trickle-down' from the Cannonball!

....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

At some point in the future (near, I hope) I plan to do my own long distance tour on a vintage bike. I have a 16 Ex, and a '16 H-D and one of those will get the nod. I agree with Bob that the bike should be pure; no disk brakes, or drop center rims. For me, such a trip is about trying to go back in time and reproduce the experience of an early motorcycle. I also do not want to beat myself, or the motorcycle into the ground trying to keep some rat-race schedule. The great thing about old bikes is the slower pace, taking the time to meet people, and seeing the sights. And like Tom, I'll have to do it on a beer budget which I believe will give a much better return.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Eric
                  Go for it Eric, it's a wonderful feeling being out there on an old motorcycle. Doing it on a beer budget I'm sure will make it all the more worth while. Do it at your speed too. Despite the mod cons ( some only because nos is not available) on my bike it still only wants to go 45/50 mph on a good flat road. I like that, sometimes bicycles pass me going down hill, they have better brakes, that's ok with me, I wave them on.
                  I felt like your comments described my style of rides on the 14 Harley. It's true that the bike is being tested up to and past it's limits. That in itself raises the question, are we destroying are history? I've thought about it quite a lot and come to the conclusion that there are many wonderful restorers and restored bikes of the same era in museums etc. and the odd person like myself seeming intent on destroying the bike in the end will not make much difference.
                  I think you would be amazed at the damage done to some pre-16 bikes on our laid back 3 day runs and we perhaps ride a total of 200 miles. It's not the pace it seems, but the preparation of the bike. Also after 30 years of clinchers and one fast ride at ground level down the Cleveland turnpike I decided at 70 it was time to wear some modern tires, but that is an individual choice.
                  Recreating the past is difficult, I'm not too knowledgeable but I'm guessing, back then dirt roads was the norm once you got out of town. If that is accurate I think you might find it quite a challenge recreating the past, one way or another.
                  Perhaps we could have a cup of coffee in the middle of the country when you decide to go. Dodge City is pretty central. I'll give you a two week start on the meet date.
                  Just a little different point of view. Just get that bike in good running condition and go.
                  All the best victor

Whoops. I forgot to say. Will be posting some interesting pics and video of the wear to my bike after about 7000miles of hard riding.
                  Last edited by 10E; 09-11-2013, 08:28 PM.

Comment

The Cannonball I would imagine is a bit of an undertaking and I still think that Lonnie did a great thing by making this event happen. I'm sure the whole deal is one huge rush! Like Mr. Lovejoy, I too enjoy following along and living out the run vicariously through the internet. Having said all that, I want to make a trip like you describe Eric. The bike will be how it was during it's day and while I like to tally up the miles I won't be pushing it like the Cannonball. I hope to head east and cross Canada and head south and come back west through the US.

Victor sir, you are one huge inspiration and modern day proof that it can be done as a solo effort. I for one will not be hassling you for "modern" tires. You've earned them!
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Great reading guys. I have a teens project too, give me a couple of years - I am in, where do we meet for coffee ? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
                        Riding a 36 EL will present absolutely no challenge. They might as well ride late model bikes but more power to them I guess. Jerry
                        Someone please sell me your 36EL and I will ride it proudly!

Signed;
                        Deprived Collector
                        Steve Klein
                        Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
                        American Pre-teens - 1965
                        AMCA Member 12176
                        Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
                        www.CherokeeAMCA.org
                        Steve@SteveKlein.com
                        Georgetown, TX USA

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Lovejoy View Post
                          Great reading guys. I have a teens project too, give me a couple of years - I am in, where do we meet for coffee ? :-)
                          I'm gonna need a couple years too Tom. We've got plenty of time to figure out that spot for coffee....
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

Congrats to Lonnie and his team on putting together yet another (#3) Motorcycle Cannonball coast to coast endurance ride. Not sure 1936 and down would have been my decision, but those are the rules for this nearly 4,200 mile endurance (bike AND ride) event. I met some amazing people and learned a lot about myself and my motorcycles on the first two rides and look forward to the next one too.
                            Buzz Kanter
                            Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
                            [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
                            [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

Working...
                            X