Spring restoration... a few tips and photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring restoration... a few tips and photos

Since there isn't a section for frame/chassis restoration... and since this fits more than the Chief/Scout/Four, I thought I would post this here.

This weekend, I started working on restoration of the spring pack of my '38 Chief. It was all shiny nice with spiffy paint on it. But was fused together like it was forged from a single billet. No surprise there... many vintage vehicles have spring packs like that. And people accept that old cars ride like buckboards... when, in fact, the early leaf springs were generally very supple and comfortable. If maintained.

First, a couple of factoids. First, springs slide on each other. They need to have a lubrication film between them. They don't bounce... they slide. If they are not lubricated, they will gall and lock quickly. Second, paint on leaf springs... necessary, yes. But don't put the spring pack together dry as a bone then paint, hoping that all that paint will stay pretty on the outside. It won't. Because it will act like glue and stick the springs together nicely. Then crack as the leaves slide. Third, and most important, is the most basic fact of rust:

Rust is 9 times thicker than the metal it replaces. In other words, for every .001" that rust 'eats' into metal, iron oxide (rust) "grows" outwards by .009". So if you are rusting just .003" into the spring (the thickness of a sheet of typing paper) the rust that is packing between your spring leaves is .027" thick. The thickness of 9 pieces of typing paper. Consider how thick that is... in between each spring leaf. And consider that rust is a wonderful abrasive! Especially when put between sliding surfaces. The phenomena, by the way, is called "Rust Smacking" and you see it in old springs that have 'grown' apart visibly. Also on those federally-funded bridges that are falling down.

So what to do about it?

The only answer is to take the spring pack apart, degrease, clean, bead blast and linear grind the surfaces until they are smooth. Then there are some tips for painting them and lubricating them... but that will be in the next installment.

Here I'll just show some pictures from my Chief spring pack as I worked on it this weekend.

This is a typical leaf. It is rusted, completely dry and had paint holding it together... keeping moisture in and lubrication out. It had likely never been oiled. There was no trace of grease oil... I mean, that would make the paint not stick, right? Don't oil it. You can also see the remnants of the slag on the outside of the leaf from when it was made/hot rolled. This is awful stuff inside a spring. It galls and it's rough. Why it was not removed when 'new' I have no idea. If it was a repro spring pack, it was a bad one. But I don't think it was... I suspect that it was simply put together to a price and it was assumed that lubrication would cure all

This shows the galling at the end of the leaves. Note how the striations run along the spring. Also note how the nose of one leaf is digging into the other one. That will cause a ridge, eventually, that will act like a slide stop with bad effects on your spring. We'll look at how to prevent that (besides good lubrication.) Again notice that it was dry and you can see the galling that was taking place between the leaves.

Here we see the beginning of repairing the springs. From left to right...First spring is as-removed. Note galled areas, red rust, dark rust and the area where the nose of one spring dug into another

Second from left is a spring that has been bead blasted over half its length. Use glass and not heavy sand. You want to remove the rust, not work-harden the surface. Bead until the pits are clean. You can't just wire brush them. The rust is a lot harder than the 'wire' on your wire brush. All you do is plate the rust with a layer of metal wiped off your wire brush. Looks good... but not cleaned of rust. You must abrasive blast to properly clean a spring. Also, on these springs, all the slag from hot-rolling was blasted off, taking the metal to pure white blasted finish.

Third spring has been linear ground on a big belt sander. Cut ONLY along the length of the spring, never across the leaf. Cross sanding will put in scratches that can turn into breaks. You must grind only along the length of the spring. Grind the edges as well. You do not need to grind every pit out. Pits will hold oil and springs will slide on the high points. And you don't want to thin the springs too much. More than 20 percent, BTW, and you need to scrap the spring. But some pits are ok at this stage.

Last spring is after burnishing with a wire brush. This lays down the metal raised by both belt sanding and by blasting and will give you a burnished smooth finish. The leaves, at this point, will slide over each other like glass -- even without lube. You will have NO roughness or binding at this stage. This is what you are shooting for.

Here is a closer view of springs showing that some pits remain and showing the shiny/burnished finish of the leaves.

This close-up shows the finish of the spring as finished and after blasting, grinding and wire brushing. Note that all the scratches run lengthwise, that the edges are smooth and that some pits are fine. The spring will ride on its high spots.

This is how you keep springs from digging into each other. As they come from the factory, the 'tips' are sharp and show that they were simply 'cleved' off by a cutter. That sharp edge acts as a cutting tool, especially when combined with some rust and dry surfaces. By gently chamfering the edges, the spring won't 'plow' into the other spring, but will ride along its mating surfaces. And as spring does wear (you won't prevent wear entirely) the gentle chamfer will prevent the worn area from becoming so distinct or deep.

Later this week, we'll be prepping these for painting, installing the spring eye bush (and pin honing it) and then assembling the pack and I'll take some pictures and post those steps. There are some really simple tricks for painting, involving a handful of pennies and some masking tape.

FYI, these are techniques we've been using on antique cars for decades. Putting a new engine in a chassis that rides like a buckboard... is a waste of time and energy. Old cars (like old bikes) deserve the suspension the factory intended them to have.

BTW, along with this, all the front fork rocker bushes, bearings, pins, etc on the Chief are being 100 percent replaced. No point in having a nice bouncy spring pack... and rattle-trap suspension parts. So far, gotten parts from Greers and am very happy with the quality.

Cheers and feel free to ask any questions... and I'll be glad to answer or post some additional pictures.

Sirhr

Very cool, keep it coming. I have done a couple set's, on Indians and model T's. On my Indian, I was a little dissapointed. I have some chipping going on - dang.

Comment

Sirhrmechanic

I am a little confused , are we working on a motorcycle suspension or a dump truck,,, Leaf springs???

joe

(just a little jab for you Indian guys, relax)

Comment

Bout choked on my coffee, good one Joe.

Comment

Tech stuff... awesome!!! I'll be sitting near the front of the class for this one! I've got a leaf pack to deal with eventually (you didn't just read that Joe...) and it's good to be aware of all the ins and outs. Thanks for taking us along with the repair.
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Wish I had read this before I restored the leaf spring on my 66 Corvette. I saw everything that is described, but I didn't know how to deal with it correctly. Now I do!

Thanks,
            Rick L.

Comment

Good info! I've had a few spring ideas that I haven't tried. One is to use teflon liners between the spring leafs to reduce friction. Maybe this might make the fork too bouncy with zero friction. Another is to paint the spring as an assembly so the friction surfaces have no paint. Then disassemble and grease the non- painted surfaces.

Comment

Harley Toprock:

The teflon liners that are sold by places like restoration supply company are pretty much useless. Love the folks at RSC. But this is one product they sell that is kind of snake oil. The liners ultimately just end up coming apart, slipping or doing all kinds of silly things. There is no substitute for properly finished (and lubricated!) metal!

As far as the painting/lubing... that's the ticket! And will be the next installment when I paint these springs in a few days. You have to keep paint off the friction surfaces!!!!

After paint is cured... assemble with the faces lubed. We use a mixture of 600wt oil and Never-seez. 50-50 mix. Very persistent.

More to come!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

This is the concise, well researched, type of information that sets this forum apart from the others.
                  I don't collect Indians and don't imagine I ever will, but I have an interest in cycle cars, and they have leaf spring suspension.
                  I appreciate the effort you have taken to post good, focused, pictures, and also the time that it takes to sit at a keyboard and type a factual, concise, coherent phrase, that explains the work and the process involved, without it sounding like a ramble. This information will sit here for many people to come back and use as a reference/guide in their efforts to repair or restore the leaf spring in their project.
                  Regards Steve
                  Steve Little
                  Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
                  Australia.
                  AMCA member 1950

Comment

I also appreciate the information as i'm ready to tackle my leafs for my 38 chief.
                    Thank you, Len.
                    AMCA #765

Comment

Len:

Glad to hear there is another '38 owner out there. Favor to ask... can you send me a picture of your spring pack before you take it apart? I think my pack may be from a Four. Too many leaves, I think. But there doesn't seem to be a 'specific' number or spec. out there. I'd like to see what yours is. Thanks and cheers, Sirhr.

Comment

I will count the leaves on my 40 four and post here Monday.. Upper count and lower. I don't know if it is the correct amount but is the right front-end for a 40 indian.
                        Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 05-11-2013, 08:05 AM.
                        D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Originally posted by sirhrmechanic View Post
                          Len:

Glad to hear there is another '38 owner out there. Favor to ask... can you send me a picture of your spring pack before you take it apart? I think my pack may be from a Four. Too many leaves, I think. But there doesn't seem to be a 'specific' number or spec. out there. I'd like to see what yours is. Thanks and cheers, Sirhr.
                          Thanks for the post.I enjoy tech write ups.Hatfields says 10 leafs for 38.1939 added an extra rebound leaf to top for three total instead of two.
                          My 34 and 35 have 8 leafs.I think the change to 10 was in 37 with the larger axle and interchanable wheels.The pack I have for my 38 has 11 so this is probably from a later model.
                          Looking forward to the next installment.
                          I usually have to make a new pin to hold the pack together but think the trickiest part is if the lower rocker holes are waddled.Welding the holes no problem.Relocating holes a little harder.With out frame table and jigs I have relied on more backyard methods.Put fork on frame,rear axle in and level,locate lower fork holes parallel and level to rear axle.
                          Have Fun,
                          Tom

Comment

Ok, was out riding the 40 four yesterday in the nice cool weather and at a stop checked the count. Total 11. 8 on top cluster and 3 on bottom cluster. Ran great by the way, put about 125 miles on it.
                            D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

When last we left our spring project... they were all cleaned up and ready for paint. But I had cautioned about painting the leaves as a 'pack' to avoid 'gluing' the leaves together with paint. So here's the painting process. FYI, these are being done with Imron epoxy enamel.

This is the spring pack being painted. After just warning you not to paint the springs as a pack... you're probably thinking I've been inhaling too many paint fumes. But if we look at the next picture, we see the secret to painting spring packs:

What we have done is taken thick, nickel-sized washers along the bolt that is temporarily holding the pack together. This keeps the leaves from touching and prevents paint from getting 'sucked' between the leaves via capillary action and prevents 'bridging' of paint between the leaves. These 'bridges will glue the leaves together or will chip off as soon as the springs are flexed. On longer leaves, take washers (or pennies) and tape them at the tips of the leaves to create spaces at the ends as well. Your goal is to keep the leaves from touching... but to keep them as close together as possible.

Ah, but do the springs not get paint on them when they are spaced out? Yes and no, grasshoppa. Generally, the air turbulence from the gun keeps much paint from getting between the leaves, but typically a small amount does get on the flats of the leaves, generally only going in 1/8" or so. This, however, can be gently wet-sanded off when the pack is dismantled for final lubrication and assembly.

This photo shows how little paint actually gets between the leaves while the edges are very nicely painted. The small amount of overspray that gets between the leaves is easily wet sanded off.

The result is a spring pack that looks like this:

The final steps, after the paint cures, will be to gently dismantle the spring pack. I put a mixture of 600 Wt oil and graphite (Never-seez) in between leaves before assembling. A good grade of grease works well, but mix in some graphite for persistence. Note, too, that the bushing was replaced and pin-honed (not reamed) before priming and painting. The pin hone gives a much better finish than a reamer and is very controllable.

This same process works for sidecar springs or any elliptical or semi-elliptical springs that need to be painted. One last tip... a leather gaiter is a wonderful investment for a leaf spring or set of leaf springs. Rudys Gaiters in Cleveland can make you a single gaiter for an Indian spring. 800 248 Rudy. He will send you measurement instructions. The gaiters were a period accessory, look great and keep all the dust and dirt out of your spring... all the oil in. A win win. I put them on everything with leaf springs. For an Indian, you are looking at probably about $50 for a custom-made, lace-on gaiter. Worth every penny.

Here is a picture of some gaiters on a car spring. Just visible, but gives you the idea.

Cheers and hope this helps some folks out!

Sirhr
                              Last edited by sirhrmechanic; 07-08-2013, 03:43 PM. Reason: swap photos

Comment

Working...
                              X