AMCA Europe Meet 2013 - Geldrop, the Netherlands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMCA Europe Meet 2013 - Geldrop, the Netherlands

I don’t post often, but I thought it might be of interest to provide an overview of the AMCA Europe Meet held April 19th to 21st.

I recently relocated from Phoenixville, PA to Nürnberg, Germany, so after attending several AMCA meets in America, this was my first European Meet.

The meet was in Geldrop, the Netherlands, which is just across the border from Germany - about 550 kilometers from Nürnberg.

I took my two Triumphs (’68 Bonneville and ’68 TR6C). The Bonneville was judged and received 99-3/4 points (it was judged at 99 points at Jefferson, PA meet last Oct.), which is pretty fabulous (thanks to a lot of help from David Schostkewitz of Classic Cycles Ltd.). The TR6C was not judged, but did take home a 1st place trophy for Period Modified. So at the end of the day I was a happy guy.

A total of 24 bikes were judged. The age range was 1912 to 1968. The European Chapter is very heavily into American bikes, mostly H-D's. There were a couple of Excelsior's as well. The quality of the bikes was really excellent. Not a dog in the bunch, plus several original and unmolested bikes that were super. Amazing to see so many fabulous vintage Harley-Davidsons in Europe.

The vendor scene was pretty small unfortunately, but this is really a very small meet with a narrow focus, so I guess this is to be expected.

I think England, Germany and Holland were the countries with biggest representation, along with 2 or 3 folks from France. There was a modest spectator turnout, and several of the spectators rode in on some great bikes.

The venue itself was a real nice park - outside of Geldrop in some farm & horse country. Very pretty.

The highlight for me was a trio of "Attic Find" bikes brought by a gentleman from the Netherlands. If I understood the story correctly, he was given a hint that there were some old motorcycles in the attic of a Dutch farmhouse. He went to the farmhouse to find out and what he found was pretty amazing - four motorcycles had been hidden in 1939 behind a brick wall to keep the Nazi's from confiscating them. They had been behind the brick wall up until just a few months ago when Garret (do not recall his last name) retrieved them. There were two Harley-Davidsons (a circa 1920 V-Twin (20 J?) and a circa 1919 Model W Sport 584 cc Flat Twin Engine), a circa 1927 MB1 Motobecane and a very rare Eysink (manufactured in the Netherlands). The Eysink went to a museum, but the other three were at the meet.

I have attached a link to photos of an overview of the meet. Double click the thumbnails and you’ll get a larger picture with captions (you might need to click on "More" in the lower right to see the entire caption).
    http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/di...02013%20Europe
    Password: amca2013

Hope you enjoy.
    Dennis O'Dell
    Nürnberg Germany
    AMCA # 20841

Photo's are password protected?
    Bob Selph
    1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
    1940 Sport Scout
    AMCA#15215

Comment

NICE photos, thanks for posting! ... Almost missed the password...thumbs up 4.jpg
      Rich
      Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

I did miss it!!!!
        Bob Selph
        1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
        1940 Sport Scout
        AMCA#15215

Comment

Dennis very nice photos ,really like those 3 unrestored barn find bikes ,Rob

Comment

Thank you, very nice!

Comment

Thank-you kindly for the photos Dennis! I hit the slideshow option and sat back and enjoyed!
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Too cool. Thanks for posting. Brooklyn Chevrolet is still in business at the same Pearl road location in Cleveland, Ohio. Once lived around the corner from there. Wonder how that Servi made it's way to Europe?
                  Congratulations to Steve Slocombe and new European Assistant Chief Judge Pete Reeves on a job well done.
                  Fred Davis AMCA #9176

Comment

Can only confirm what Dennis said: Small, but very nice gathering of the European AMCA Members. For me most impressing was the original 1925 Indian Taxi. Was running in Palermo. If i understood Osvaldo right, he has another original Paint Harley Taxi rig and a Reading Standard taxi hack.

I have put a little story in my >>Blog<< (but in german - Google Translator is your friend !).
                    The direct links to the pics are

>>Web Album AMCA Meet Geldrop 2013<<
                    >>Indian Taxi<<
                    >>Barnfresh<<

Thomas - Super X 97,5 pts ;-)
                    AMCA Member #16550
                    My Blog

Comment

flh75, nice pictures!
                      Bob Selph
                      1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
                      1940 Sport Scout
                      AMCA#15215

Comment

Mucho thanks Thomas! After a little translating it appears as though you enjoyed the meet! The "Taxi" has my vote as well and congrats on your Junior First! That Super X is a beauty!
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

The Google-translation of my writing is funny but hope it brings out the main idea behind my stories. Thks for the flowers for my Super X ! But the honour has to go to Jeff Roth, from whom i purchased the bike some time ago and who has restored the bike to this perfection. The 97,5 pts were even more surprising for me, as i ride the bike regulary for abt 500 miles each year. So this is the proof tt not only "Show bikes" can earn good points. But lets see what the judges will say next year...

Thomas
                          AMCA Member #16550
                          My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by frichie68 View Post
                            NICE photos, thanks for posting! ... Almost missed the password...[ATTACH=CONFIG]10922[/ATTACH]
                            Rich
                            Sorry about the password -should have made it more obvious. But glad you and Bob S. found it.
                            Dennis O'Dell
                            Nürnberg Germany
                            AMCA # 20841

Comment

Originally posted by flh75 View Post
                              Can only confirm what Dennis said: Small, but very nice gathering of the European AMCA Members. For me most impressing was the original 1925 Indian Taxi. Was running in Palermo. If i understood Osvaldo right, he has another original Paint Harley Taxi rig and a Reading Standard taxi hack.

I have put a little story in my >>Blog<< (but in german - Google Translator is your friend !).
                              The direct links to the pics are

>>Web Album AMCA Meet Geldrop 2013<<
                              >>Indian Taxi<<
                              >>Barnfresh<<

Thomas - Super X 97,5 pts ;-)
                              Yes, have to agree the Indian Taxi was very cool and in amazing condition. Osvaldo was great looking in his taxi uniform as well.
                              Dennis O'Dell
                              Nürnberg Germany
                              AMCA # 20841

Comment

Working...
                              X