Beautiful new Polaris-Indian engine has WRONG name on it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beautiful new Polaris-Indian engine has WRONG name on it

Admittedly, the new Polaris-Indian engine is not an antique nor a real Indian. Still, as seen on the cover of the latest Cycle World mag, I think it has the "right" look and has good features too.

The fact that it's NOT water-cooled, is a double, and has a gear primary drive gives it classic simplicity like a real Indian--even if it's overhead with faked flathead styling. It reminds me of the S&S X-Wedge engine which I thought when it came out would make a better retro-style "Indian" engine than an H-D clone motor. To me an FL engine looks ridiculous riding around in an post-'40 Indian-fender chassis. Almost like it's screaming: "Get out me out here!"

But I have a small criticism of this new Polaris-Indian engine. Call it nit-picking but it bothers me and I'm not even a die-hard Indian guy.

On the cover of Cycle World there's a beautiful photo of this new Polaris-Indian job. Beautiful! And on the cam-cover of this beautiful engine there's even a nice logo of an Indian warrior wearing a war-bonnet with the following words wrapped around the image in a circle: "Indian Motorcycle 1901."

What? Here's a billion dollar company that put countless millions into whipping this new engine into shape with Indian mystique and they couldn't even get the name right? Indian, of course, is correct and so is 1901. But "Motorcycle" spelled with an "r"? Shouldn't it be: "Indian Motocycle 1901" without the letter "r"? The way they have it jumps out as wrong, jarring and even stupid.

In my opinion they should change that fast. To spend all that money and brainstorming to get that Indian look and then brand it in a manner that is historically incorrect and totally un-Indian? IMHO, somebody royally screwed up.

So what do you guys think? Not just how they've named it, but the prospects of this Polaris-Indian job in general.
    Last edited by HarleyCreation; 04-02-2013, 02:04 PM.
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

I'll bet the marketing people at Polaris were aware of the Hendee spelling of "Motocycle", but I would believe their market research would show that modern motorcyclists would think that spelling was odd, if not laughable. Americans today, more than I've seen for years, have become blissfully ignorant of history.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Who has time for history when you have to be constantly updating Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Tumblr, etc, etc... I work on a college campus and the number of kids walking around paying no attention to anything but their phone is staggering. Case and point, yesterday I went into one of the bathrooms on campus and there was a student using the urinal while text messaging with both hands. Unbelievable.
      1964 FLH
      1972 R75/5
      1996 XL1200C
      2001 R1200C
      2007 FXSTB
      Blog: Riding Vintage
      Check out Riding Vintage on Facebook

Comment

Eric,

You're probably right. It's hard to believe Polaris would have overlooked or missed the original correct spelling of the Indian brand in all their pow-wows.

Still, had they used the original-Indian term "motocycle" it would probably have drawn puzzled comments and questions. However, then Polaris could have used that little mystery as a gateway into the entire universe of real-Indian history. Right back to the beginning when Hendee branded Indian as a "motocycle" for good reason and then explain why he did it that way. Because now we know that the words "motocycle" and "motorcycle" do not mean the same thing.

On the other hand, giving Polaris a clue to real-Indian history might not be a good idea. Esp. considering how another big name has used corrupted forms of its history for advertising purposes. Maybe real-Indian history belongs to original-Indian enthusiasts and not to a big corp even though it now owns the name and cool Indianhead logo.

Panhead Jim,

Sort of like that old commercial: "Look Ma, no hands!"

If Polaris had used "motocycle" it would be faster to Twitter--another reason to adopt it.
        Last edited by HarleyCreation; 04-02-2013, 04:10 PM.
        Herbert Wagner
        AMCA 4634
        =======

Comment

I think we can hope that Polaris will hit a home run with the Indian and perhaps that will segway into a new interest in American motorcycles. I like to think that in the future, we will rediscover things like hand-made art, music made by instruments other than a guitar, and home cooking.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

If you research it, I think you'll find that even the ("real") Springfield Indian Company relented and started putting an "R" in its name in the middle 1930s. Around the time that DuPont bought it, I think. Might have been in The Harley-Davidson and Indian Wars that I read that. But the later ads have "motorcycle" all through them.
            Here, as recently unearthed by Panhead_Jim who posted above:

Gerry Lyons #607
            http://www.37ul.com/
            http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
              I'll bet the marketing people at Polaris were aware of the Hendee spelling of "Motocycle", but I would believe their market research would show that modern motorcyclists would think that spelling was odd, if not laughable. Americans today, more than I've seen for years, have become blissfully ignorant of history.
              I recall the piggy-backing efforts of the Excelsior MoCo in the 90's. They shouldn't have used the Henderson name if they weren't going to make a 4-cyl, and even using the "Super-x" name was cheap. Why can't these manufacturers acknowledge that manufacturing rights and name-use were their primary goals, not some high-falootin' glory-to-the-past gimmick? Who's buying that?
              Okay, I'd endorse just the war-bonnet logo. That's enough.

Comment

Sarge,

Thanks for the informative reply.

There are probably countless examples of the Indian being called a "motorcycle." And why not? In 2-wheel form they were motorcycles just as your ads show. Although the farther back in time you go and especially in the early years, Indian's use of "motocycle" becomes more and more common. For Indian, "motocycle" was always the preferred term, although "motorcycle" was also sometimes used.

But that's not quite the same thing as the brand name. In fact, the term "motocycle" was formally adopted by Indian in 1923 when the firm changed its name from "Hendee Manufacturing Co." to "Indian Motocycle Co." As late as 1951 Indian was still "Indian Motocycle Co." Of course by then nobody knew anymore what a "motocycle" actually was. To make things even more confusing, some Indian ads included both the words "motorcycle" and "Indian Motocycle Co." at the same time.

Because Polaris put "1901" on their engine they reached back to Indian's origin when "motocycle" was still a word that people (including Mr. Hendee) knew and understood. For that reason I think they should also have adopted the preferred and correct Indian brand terminology which was "motocycle" from 1901 to around 1951--exactly 100 years and almost the entire run of original-Indian itself. But that's only my take. Others may feel differently.

Thanks again for your post.
                Last edited by HarleyCreation; 04-02-2013, 05:40 PM.
                Herbert Wagner
                AMCA 4634
                =======

Comment

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
                  Why can't these manufacturers acknowledge that manufacturing rights and name-use were their primary goals, not some high-falootin' glory-to-the-past gimmick?
                  That is exactly what Polaris is trying to accomplish with this new gorgeous motor, and my point being that they failed to get the "glory-to-the-past gimmick" right in a fundamental and important way.
                  Herbert Wagner
                  AMCA 4634
                  =======

Comment

I feel as you guys do, I naturally think in historical perspective. But, I think Panhead Jim might have touched on the real reason. If they called the new bike a "motocycle", when this generation spreads the good word their I-phones will make an automatic spell correction to "motorcycle".
                    But then again, few know how to spell these days. I can't believe the misspelled signage I see.
                    Bob

Comment

I hear what you are saying Herb. A good friend of mine always says, "There's no R in Motocycle!!" I'm all for seeing a business succeed but it would be refreshing to see something new and original with perhaps a vintage feel. 1953 was the last year of the once great company. Anything built since just taints the name. That's my take on it anyway.
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                        I hear what you are saying Herb. A good friend of mine always says, "There's no R in Motocycle!!" I'm all for seeing a business succeed but it would be refreshing to see something new and original with perhaps a vintage feel. 1953 was the last year of the once great company. Anything built since just taints the name. That's my take on it anyway.
                        " Anything built since just taints the name." ditto Cory, ditto!
                        Marketers are a funny lot, thinking they know what will lure in the buyers, know how they think, etc. gimme a break.

Comment

Yep, I agree - keep the r out as Indian did back in the good ol days. I wrote em and ask em to make a mid size machine with good power and that will handle well. Like the Scout's of the past, lets see another 101, or a Sports Scout! I don't like the trend of always gitting bigger and heavier, bring on a high reving Indian Scout :-)

Comment

that old lady who used to run the indian museum in springfield mass would not allow the indians made after 53 on the grounds on indian day .indian mc 1901-1953 period. all those wannabees bikes are just that . paul bergeron minot maine 7989

Comment

Dear Herbert, I don't know much about early Indian history but see you endorsed their 1901 start date. Are you satisfied with this given your work on Harley-Davidson?

Comment

Working...
                              X