Motorcyclepedia Museum Open June 14 for Rhinebeck meet visitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcyclepedia Museum Open June 14 for Rhinebeck meet visitors

The Motorcylepedia is usually open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

This year it will also open on Thursday, June 13 to accomodate people coming out to Rhinebeck meet.

Special admission rate of only $8 for the AMCA membership

85,000 square feet with 450 bikes from 1800 and up, not to mention the 1901-1953 Indian collection.

The museum is about 35 miles from the Rhinebeck meet fairgrounds, around a 1 hour ride.

Find the museum at:
    250 Lake Street
    Newburgh NY 12550
    845-569-9065
    www.motorcylepediamuseum.org
    Last edited by DanM; 03-29-2013, 08:19 PM. Reason: changed june 14 to 13
    Dan Margolien
    Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
    Www.yankeechapter.org
    Pocketvalve@gmail.com

hey dan we rode down last year went down one side of hudson river and back on the other nice ride from rhinebeck great museum maby 50 miles there was a whole room full of indians i think one for each year plus some sidecar rigs also many other brands + some choppers and trikes. can't wait to start riding season here in maine see you in oley paul g bergeron minot maine 7989

Comment

Thanks Paul. The museum also has a section of very early bikes, some are quite unusual. But the Daddy Rat Fink stuff is incredible that they could collect it all. and it really took a creative mind to conceive it and then build it- like the Arlen Ness early stuff. Really, the museum looks like a dream come alive! They even have a wall of death INSIDE- the G force must be incredible.
      Dan Margolien
      Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
      Www.yankeechapter.org
      Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

G'day Dan,
        is there any chance that they have or would do a dvd of the collection so those of us who can't get there might have a chance to view it at home. I would like to see those Indians let alone the whole thing, collections that size are rare and make for a great chance to pick up on what you are missing from your own bike if they are of correct finish.

Regards Bluebeard.

Comment

Originally posted by treasure View Post
          G'day Dan,
          is there any chance that they have or would do a dvd of the collection so those of us who can't get there might have a chance to view it at home. I would like to see those Indians let alone the whole thing, collections that size are rare and make for a great chance to pick up on what you are missing from your own bike if they are of correct finish.

Regards Bluebeard.
          Novel idea, Bluebeard! Darned few of our local chapter will get to New York in their lifetime, but a cd as a teaser could put it on their bucket list. And as the museum has been funded by the amca it would seem proper to produce a "benefit" that we can share.
          I wouldn't expect it free of charge, btw. But between the library and the museum I'd expect our chapter could gain a much larger appreciation for the grand view of antique motorcycles that is otherwise limited to the magazine, and a few meets that are tough on a working man's schedule (and funds).

Comment

Phil,
            The AMCA did not fund the Motorcyledpedia Museum in Newburgh NY. This is a private museum operated by the Doering family. The Antique Motorcycle Foundation (AMF) utilizes a portion of the museum to display antique motorcycles and promote the sport/hobby. I think the idea of producing a DVD and making it available to the general public is an excellent idea. This request is best directed to the AMF and/or Ted Doering at the museum.
            Richard
            Richard Spagnolli
            AMCA #6153

Comment

Originally posted by Spag View Post
              Phil,
              The AMCA did not fund the Motorcyledpedia Museum in Newburgh NY. This is a private museum operated by the Doering family. The Antique Motorcycle Foundation (AMF) utilizes a portion of the museum to display antique motorcycles and promote the sport/hobby. I think the idea of producing a DVD and making it available to the general public is an excellent idea. This request is best directed to the AMF and/or Ted Doering at the museum.
              Richard
              Please excuse the mistake, Richard, but it seems to me that the AMF is us as well. I'm aware of whom the landlord is, and that the "deal" is widely regarded as good for the club, and I'm good with that. I'm aware also, that the club has some possessions (DR Patt's exp 4 for ex) in exhibit there. But I don't know much more, try as I might to glean info from our magazine. Is there an info site I can go to, to save people the chore of explaining it to me? I am otherwise confused as to whether the AMF is still, somehow a part of us, and whether we fund AMF somehow, and whether "supporting the sport/hobby" would include us as beneficiaries.
              I'm glad you like the idea, too. I will attempt to write Mr Craig about it as you suggest. .. and thanks for "hanging out" here.

Comment

The AMF is a separate entity from the AMCA. The AMF has a Board of Directors separate from the AMCA Board. However, both organizations cooperate to promote the antique motorcycle sport/hobby to the extent possible. The AMCA and AMF are currently cooperating to promote the history of Japanese motorcycles at all AMCA National Meets this year. The AMF is promoting the Kaizen theme from the early days of Japanese motorcycle production and sales in the United States. The AMF has a display at the Motorcylepedia Museum which explains and promotes the theme. I haven't seen it but I understand it is worth a visit, particularly for those attending the AMCA Rhinebeck National Meet this year.
                Richard
                Richard Spagnolli
                AMCA #6153

Comment

Thanks Fillibuster and Richard for your replies. I would like to know who to contact in the AMF to put the idea forward to see if there is any intrest from their side that is if you guys haven't done so yet. As I live in australia that would be my only hope of looking at their displays, I can not see myself getting back over there for many years to come.

Treasure.

Comment

I will drop a note to the Doerings about a DVD. I'll be back to the group witht he feedback.
                    Dan Margolien
                    Www.yankeechapter.org
                    Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks mate much appreciated

Treasure.

Comment

The museum directors will need a few days to go through the idea and get back to us.
                        Dan
                        Dan Margolien
                        Www.yankeechapter.org
                        Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

G'day Dan,
                          thanks for doing that and let's hope they can see that there is a good chance to make some money aswell as advertising for the museum if handled properly. We have a dvd out over here called The spirit of speed of which there are two, disc 1 is about early bike racing up to about 1960 and disc 2 is a continuation from that. It talks about and to the riders who have survived and lived to tell the tales of times gone by and their time racing the different tracks etc, in fact a very good mate of mine was interviewed and spends time on both disc's. His mane is Ray Owen and as he say's if it a motor and he could get it to run he would race it. He has titles trophies for all sorts of bike racing as he spread himself around the many styles there was at the time including flat track,grass,sidecar,scrambles and road racing ( he still has his Manx Norton he campained also a 350 Triumph which he was extremely compotent on and a home built Bultaco streamliner that he and his friend and best mate Bert Flood set a land speed record back in I think it was the 60's.) Anyway I will leave it at that and fingers crossedfor a good outcome.

Treasure.

Comment

Hi all! I received the following reply from the Museum regarding videos (anyone can get on the newsletter with an email request to coordinator@motorcyclepediamuseums.com):
                            "Hello Dan,
                            Thank you for your input regarding the production of a video for use by club members. Currently we are developing a team and are in the beginning stages of a video archive project for Motorcyclepedia.Once we are up and running, it is our goal to ultimately produce informational videos about the museum that will include in a “virtual museum” on our website.As we finish segments of the museum video, they will be posted in the form of a link. We do not have a specific time frame as to when any segments or video clips will be posted, but we will be letting everyone know via our monthly newsletter. With your permission, we will gladly put you on our newsletter email list.Thank you for your support."
                            Dan Margolien
                            Www.yankeechapter.org
                            Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by DanM View Post
                              Hi all! I received the following reply from the Museum regarding videos (anyone can get on the newsletter with an email request to coordinator@motorcyclepediamuseums.com):
                              "Hello Dan,
                              Thank you for your input regarding the production of a video for use by club members. Currently we are developing a team and are in the beginning stages of a video archive project for Motorcyclepedia.Once we are up and running, it is our goal to ultimately produce informational videos about the museum that will include in a “virtual museum” on our website.As we finish segments of the museum video, they will be posted in the form of a link. We do not have a specific time frame as to when any segments or video clips will be posted, but we will be letting everyone know via our monthly newsletter. With your permission, we will gladly put you on our newsletter email list.Thank you for your support."
                              link won't receive my message, something to do with my password. Anybody else?

Comment

Working...
                              X