Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sturgis Judges Needed

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED

American Iron Magazine is putting on a FREE Classic American Iron Sturgis Rally across from the Full Throttle Saloon on Tuesday, August 10, during the Sturgis rally.

Normally I go out to coordinate the field events and bike judging, but because I am still recovering from rotator cuff surgery (run over while testing a bike in Daytona by a bonehead kid in a SUV) it is tough for me to travel.

Therefore we are looking for some knowledgable enthusiasts to help out with the judging.

Ideally you know your way around a Chief, Knuck and Shovel, but you do not need to be an AMCA judge as we want the judging to be more popular than nit-picking.

Anyone interested in helping us out?

Reply here or email StephenB@AmericanIronMag.com.

Thanks,

Buzz Kanter
    Publisher/Editor-in-Chief, American Iron Magazine
    (and long time AMCA member)

sturgis judging

Buzz
    please be careful with your wording, I think you meant to say
    "more popular then correct" not "nit-picking"
    any of my judges are capable of picking a nicely assembled and painted "chopper" as opposed to a correctly "restored" bike
    I personally just judged a car/bike show to benefit Make-A-Wish and picked bikes not by correctness but by workmanship, fit,finish and overall apperance. there were 12 awards handed out and only 2 were for correctly "restored" bikes. my judges are a very dedicated group of people and work hard at a thankless job, so when someone implies that they are "nit-picking" I get very defensive.
    Kevin Valentine
    Chief Judge AMCA

Comment

I was not taking a shot at your judges at all.

In fact I recognized how tough it is to judge a long time ago and personally withdrew myself from it all together.

And yes, I did mean nit picking, because that is what it often comes down to in choosing one wonderful machine over another for a trophy or award.

This Classic American Iron Sturgis Rally is free and has many terrific trophies that need to be won, so we really do need a couple of knowledgable judges to fill out our staff there.

Thanks,

Buzz Kanter

Comment

sturgis judging

Buzz
        you have been out of the loop(judging) for a long time!
        we have not judged one bike against another since 1991, thanks to a system introduced by Peter Heintz the bikes are judged on a 100 point basics. every bike could possibly leave with a trophy if they meet the base requirement of 85 or more points.
        this past weekend at Waueson we handed out
        2 junior second
        10 junior first
        7 senior and
        19 winners circle
        and also 2 Century medallion's for bikes over 100 years old
        Kevin Valentine
        Chief Judge AMCA

Comment

AMCA can and does hand put an unlimited number of trophies based on the merits of a bike, but we have to work within a trophy budget. So, unlike AMCA, we need to judge one bike against another to determine which get the trophies and which do not.

We are still looking for a few more judges to help us at Sturgis for this FREE classic American Iron Sturgis Rally.

Thanks,

Buzz Kanter

Comment

Our Classic American Iron Sturgis Rally was so well attended and fun last year,we have been invited back again in 2005.

Same place - the Thunder Dome in Sturgis, between Glencoe Campgrounds and the Full Throttle Saloon. Dates still to be determined. But it will be free again, and some of the bikes will be photographed and featured in upcoming issues of American Iron Magazine.

And we can always use a few more bikes (original, restored, or customized) and judges.

Buzz Kanter

Comment

did I miss it?

Hey Buzz
              I've been looking for an article in American Iron about the Sturgis show. I was hoping to see some pics and comments about the winning bikes. I have yet to find anything. Have I missed an issue? I was the winner of the Period Modified class with my 38EL at Davenport in 2003 so I am very interested in your cointest.

Dennis Rousseau
              AMCA #11302

Comment

sturgis show

hi buzz , i tried to email you but ,was not successful. i have a pre 1916 resto shop in sturgis.i've been building bikes for over 20 years,from 1902 thru 2002. let me know if you need help judging at the show.i'd love to give you a tour of our shop when your in town.thanks lonnie

Comment

Working...
                X