Color images from the Daytona 200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color images from the Daytona 200

Collection of 10 color photos taken during the Daytona 200. Nice shots of individual bikes coming down the beach. Any ideas what year these were taken? My guess is the late 50's as it looks like there are some British bikes in the mix.

Racing on the Beach at Daytona
    1964 FLH
    1972 R75/5
    1996 XL1200C
    2001 R1200C
    2007 FXSTB
    Blog: Riding Vintage
    Check out Riding Vintage on Facebook

Dear Jim, number 166 with the chrome and red tank looks like an Ariel. I'd guess maybe 5-10 years earlier than you, but we must have members who know for sure.

Comment

I believe it is from 1948. I have the race program for that year. Number 166 is listed as Howard Hardy from Chattanooga, Tenn. on an Aerial. Tom

Comment

Not sure if it's a clue, but the pictures that show bikes with the 'distorted' wheels are quite typical of images taken with "Graflex" and similar-type cameras. The way the shutter moved caused the image to 'spread' on the film thus the wheels came out oblong in the pictures. It's very common on cars I'd have to do more camera history research, but I know that Graflex cameras were very popular into the 1950's when they started going out in favor of the Leica's... to be replaced by SLR's in the 1970's.

If I have some time later, I'll can look up the complete Life magazine database. I am working on a masters degree right now and have access to the LIFE archives through school library network. I'll see if I can ID an issue if you think that might be an approach?

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

What is interesting is that Time covered the Daytona 200 in 1948, with photo credit given to Joseph Scherschel. These pictures are credited to Frank Scherschel. Maybe Time messed up the names and Joseph took some color shots in 1948 which ended up labeled incorrectly...
          1964 FLH
          1972 R75/5
          1996 XL1200C
          2001 R1200C
          2007 FXSTB
          Blog: Riding Vintage
          Check out Riding Vintage on Facebook

Comment

Gee Sirhr..... bikes, cars and cameras too??? You're a pretty well rounded dude....

Great pics Jim... thanks for sharing them.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

CO... just scratches the surface. It's why my better half calls me Rainman...

Kmart sucks... Beanies weenies on tuesday. Good driver good driver...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Hear I thought "Rainman" would only wear underwear from Kmart.... Too funny Sirhr... keep on educating those of less informed. It would be the "Rainman" thing to do....
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                X