Parkinson's and Motorcycling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parkinson's and Motorcycling

I've been diagnosed as having Parkinson's Disease. Has anyone out there dealt with the disease or know of a motorcyclist who has dealt with it? The progression rate varies, but I would still like to know what few (I assume) riders have had to quit riding, and how long after diagnosis they were able to keep riding.
    Jerry Hatfield

Originally posted by Jerry Hatfield View Post
    I've been diagnosed as having Parkinson's Disease. Has anyone out there dealt with the disease or know of a motorcyclist who has dealt with it? The progression rate varies, but I would still like to know what few (I assume) riders have had to quit riding, and how long after diagnosis they were able to keep riding.
    Jerry, sorry to hear that.
    "Keep moving", is what I've heard them say. An uncle was diagnosed 2 years ago, and he's still golfing, with a vengeance.
    You may want to think trike, or those "training wheels" that allow you to lean into the turns, and keep you upright when stopping.
    But I'm betting that that would be a while from now, we hope, huh?

Comment

Sorry to hear, Jerry! Keep fighting.Good advice, to "keep moving." You can lessen the rate of progression, I understand.

A sidecar's another option to consider when the shakes become severe. My sense of balance has been pretty much shot since 1976, and a sidecar's been my lifesaver.
      Gerry Lyons #607
      http://www.37ul.com/
      http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Jerry,

That sucks to hear but keep your spirits up and never say never. I too have heard that staying active and moving is helpful. Never give up an be willing to try anything as long as it doesn't create more harm. I have one of my best friends who works/worked for the MOCO and was diagnosed with a rare degenerative neorological disease. No real treatment available. Basically a death sentence. They put him out to pasture on long term disability after 25 years but he is keeping busy in his shop at home and since the doctor told him no more two wheels (equilibrium issues) he put a trike kit on his 77 Super Glide with the help of Brent Thompson of the MOCO and is going to be riding for the 110th. Good Luck and God Speed!!!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
        AMCA # 12766

Comment

Wow Jerry. That has to be tough. I got that kind of news on my birthday 5 years ago regarding cancer. All of a sudden, everything is irrelevant and your life is different. The good thing is; humans are ever resilient and roll with the punches. I just read about some promising treatment for Parkinsons, and I'm sure you will be on top of the latest medical developments. Personally, I want to thank you for all you have done for us antique motorcycle lovers. I know that you and Bruce Palmer made your books out of your love for old bikes because there couldn't have been that much money in it. I speak for many of us Indian lovers and thank you deeply for the work you did. I also loved your book about Harleys because it was the best book to date about the J era H-Ds. Keep us posted on what's going on with you and know that you have a world of friends that care about you.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

My wife and I are caring for a family member on a daily basis for the last few years with Parkinsons and they have good and bad days, however, every case is a different, and different people respond in different ways. Jerry, our prayers are with you and keep mobile, active, and enjoy your family and hobbies every opportunity you can.
            D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Jerry, I am sorry to hear that. Though we have never met, I have read your HD book many times, and still use it as a go-to reference on the J era. We never know what curves are going to be thrown at us, but hopefully you can make the most of every day and live life to the fullest. It is hard to understand why some have to go through a trial such as the one you are facing, but I wish you nothing but the best.
              Jim

Comment

Jerry, think I have all your books :-) hang tough and good luck, one of your many fans!

Comment

Dear Jerry, sorry to hear that, but this is a diagnosis relatively late in life so you should expect the disease to progress only slowly and erratically. I'm sure every case is different and that your own motivation is an important part of how things go for you. I was diagnosed with bowel cancer late in 2010, got my will up to date and put my business affairs in order, then had a successful resection with a reversal six months later, and have been passing the twice yearly checkups since then. I finally realised that I wasn't going to live forever, and decided whatever years I had left would be lived with the pedal to the metal. Hence my 'Legacy Project', five 1936 VLH Police Harley flatheads cranked up to 100 mph, plus a Playmate of the Month in the AMCA calendar and a cover picture on our magazine. How much better can it get for an AMCA member?

On the medical side, I found the Internet more informative than my doctors, and that I had a 75% chance of five year survival. You can do a lot in five years. One day you may have to decide between Servicar, sidecar, or modern three wheeler, but make sure you have plenty of fun until then. I remember fondly your UK visit and stay over here, so keep piling on those happy memories. Safe riding and best regards.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Hatfield View Post
                    I asked my buddy in the office who is dealing with a father in law with Parkinsons and is an avid motorcyclist.
                    He has been riding for 16 years with it. I know he changed to a trike in the later stages but still rode VERY spirited even on it.
                    He is not riding as of this year but it is due to other problems not related (fell and hurt his back).
                    I'm seeing 2 wheels until your not comfortable then a very cool side car rig. After that check back and we will come up with another plan
                    Good luck

Comment

Jerry,
                      Just to reiterate what has already been stated, every case is different and progression of the disease is impossible to predict. Several members of my family have or had Parkinson's and most have had many years of good life. As a former medical researcher and provider, I can assure you there are some excellent treatment options, although again, everyone responds differently. It is important to remain active and seek the advice of a good neurologist. I wish you the very best in your treatment and hope for many more years on two or even three wheels.
                      Larry Sain, Ph.D., PA-C, retired after 8 spine surgeries but still riding....never give up.

Comment

Jerry you were one of the first people I got a chance to have a chat with on my Davenport '07 trip. It was a great opportunity for me to meet one of my favorite historical authors. Thanks for all you've done for our community regarding knowledge and I wish you many more two-wheel miles! I also believe Eric is on the money with us humans "rolling with the punches" and if it comes to it I hear three wheels is a pretty cool way to go!
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

Jerry
                          I have a friend that they started to treat for the same thing about 10 years ago. He is still very active , driving and always playing golf. He will be 74 in a couple of months. I think that you still have a lot of good miles ahead. Thanks for all of the great books.
                          Jim
                          Jim D

Comment

Originally posted by jim d View Post
                            Jerry
                            I have a friend that they started to treat for the same thing about 10 years ago. He is still very active , driving and always playing golf. He will be 74 in a couple of months. I think that you still have a lot of good miles ahead. Thanks for all of the great books.
                            Jim
                            Wow, Jerry! Lot of reason to hope, huh? These guys brought lot of proof.
                            I have your autographed "Majic in the word Indian" also, from the early 90's, and read it often. Got your autograph at D-port in the early 90's.
                            I don't know how much late Chief/sidecar practice you've acquired, but it is an acquired taste" that gets better with time. Fight (not much) the little wobble at about 20 mph, and away you go! Set up the tow-in properly, maybe think 80 inches and short legs, maybe the 4-speed with shorter legs, and an elec start!
                            If you really like kick-starting just show up at a meet and ask somebody for permission! You'll get plenty of offers.

Comment

Working...
                            X