BSA Sloper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSA Sloper

Ran across some cool pics of a BSA parked in a field with a blimp in the background. I believe it to be a Sloper model. Can anyone confirm this guess?

A Blimp and a BSA
    1964 FLH
    1972 R75/5
    1996 XL1200C
    2001 R1200C
    2007 FXSTB
    Blog: Riding Vintage
    Check out Riding Vintage on Facebook

It appears to be a rigid air ship, rather than a blimp.

Bob Turek

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyt View Post
      It appears to be a rigid air ship, rather than a blimp.

Bob Turek
      That may be the case, I didn't research the airship...
      1964 FLH
      1972 R75/5
      1996 XL1200C
      2001 R1200C
      2007 FXSTB
      Blog: Riding Vintage
      Check out Riding Vintage on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by panhead_jim View Post
        Ran across some cool pics of a BSA parked in a field with a blimp in the background. I believe it to be a Sloper model. Can anyone confirm this guess?

A Blimp and a BSA
        The motorcycle is a 1930 BSA model S30-13 493cc "Sloper". The picture was taken in the period from August 1 to August 12, 1930. The location is the airport at St. Hubert, near Montreal), Quebec, Canada. (The BSA has a Quebec license plate.)

The airship is the British Vickers-built R100 designed by Barnes Wallis (later famous for the "Dam Buster" skip bomb in WWII). The R100 airship made a crossing of the Atlantic from England to Canada in late July, 1930, arriving on August 1 at St. Hubert where a mooring mast had been prepared. While stationed at St. Hubert it made demonstration flights over Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and Niagara Falls, returning to St. Hubert after each flight. On Aug. 13, 1930 it began the return flight to England, returning to its home base at Cardington, Northampton in about 58 hours. Due to the fatal crash of the British Airship R101 - a quite different design - in October, 1930 in France while on its maiden voyage to Egypt and India - Britain abandoned airship development and the successful R100 never flew again.

Al Johnson

Comment

Working...
        X