Anyone Collect Spark Plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Collect Spark Plugs?

I was watching American Pickers the other night and saw what looked to be a framed collection of spark plugs at one of the places they visited. They never got a clear shot of it, but it got me thinking. Would be neat to have a collection of plugs in a shadow box to hang on the wall. Question is, how many different plugs were used between 1903 and 1965? More importantly, are vintage plugs easy to come by? I saw a few on eBay but not a whole lot...

-Jim
    1964 FLH
    1972 R75/5
    1996 XL1200C
    2001 R1200C
    2007 FXSTB
    Blog: Riding Vintage
    Check out Riding Vintage on Facebook

Jim,

Not impossible and a few NOS HD/Champions show up but they go for what I consider big money. Some NOS ones just sold for $350 for the pair. Some of the older ones are even more. I have about 12 for VL's and early knuckles but that's it.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA # 12766

Comment

Originally posted by panhead_jim View Post
      I was watching American Pickers the other night and saw what looked to be a framed collection of spark plugs at one of the places they visited. They never got a clear shot of it, but it got me thinking. Would be neat to have a collection of plugs in a shadow box to hang on the wall. Question is, how many different plugs were used between 1903 and 1965? More importantly, are vintage plugs easy to come by? I saw a few on eBay but not a whole lot...

-Jim
      There's a senior fella and his son who bring their collection to D-port, set up inside a building just west of the "lunch hall". Deep knowledge of anything collectible from those two. ......... can't remember the name, Cleo? Clark, Clarence?

Comment

Figures, another aspect of vintage motorcycles that's expensive. Maybe I should look into collecting vintage valve stems, although they might not look as cool hanging on the wall...
        1964 FLH
        1972 R75/5
        1996 XL1200C
        2001 R1200C
        2007 FXSTB
        Blog: Riding Vintage
        Check out Riding Vintage on Facebook

Comment

Wait till you see the prices of Shrader valve stems!
          Bob Selph
          1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
          1940 Sport Scout
          AMCA#15215

Comment

pickins

Well when it comes to pickin you can always pick plugs for a hobby.But if you pick nose plugs,Then you can,t be a nose picker.If you don,t live in the U.S.A. than you can never be a real american picker of noses but you can still pick a peck of pickled pockets.

Comment

I save them when I run across them, but current prices take the fun out of it!
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Spark plug collecting is like license plate collecting...

Seems arcane, but there are serious collectors out there who can pay big (and I mean really-big-into-the-thousands of dollars) for specific plugs.

http://www.spcoa.net/

The guy who runs Big Dog Garage for Jay Leno is a spark plug fanatic. I have heard that if you ever want a tour of Jay's garage... find the crew chief a rare plug that he doesn't have.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

There are some spark plug collector sites on the internet. Google the subject.
                  Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Working...
                  X