No announcement yet.

Harley XA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, Rub. You are right on. I meant Hummer... and see I had that too. I had not yet consumed any coffee when I wrote that. My excuse for controversial remarks. You are also right about the K, which could rightly be called the proto-sportster. But they did have the spirit of the Brit bike in mind when they created the K and sportster. The Hummer/Topper were likely aimed more to get the baby boomers started earlier (and cheaper) than they could with big twins and sportsters. "Hummer... the Gateway Harley." I like it.

And didn't Toad on American Graffiti ride a Topper?

Cheers and thanks for the corrections, Rub!

Sirhr

Comment

The H-D lightweights started in '48 as the model S "125". The Hummer did not exist until '55 and was a specific low budget model. By that time Indian was in full control of Brockhouse and the whole Indian Sales Company distribution system of British Imports and re-badged machines.
      Harley knew that a 30.50 military machine would not work and refused to build one. Indian had a military 45 incher but did not push it, instead going ahead with the 741. But Indian was already on the ropes. Where H-D had invested back into the company during the depression, indian continued to pay dividends to stockholders. For several years in the worst of it the H-d founders took no salary, getting paid $1 dollar a year. All the while Indians shareholders standing around with their hands out. Greed was killing Indian much faster than mis-management.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

About Indian and WW2 - somewhere I have or have read a document stating that the major reason Indian did not get the WW2 contract was that the US Government was totally unimpressed with Indian manufacturing facilites and had reason to believe they were not capable of meeting production numbers needed to supply the requirements of the contract. There was a third bid also submitted and that was by the Crosley Car Company and their bid was rejected also due to inexperience in motorcycle manufacturing.

As consolation the US steered certain British Crown and European country's to Indian. I believe New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, France and Norway all bought some Indians.

In the late 70's a friend of mine had 2 XA's - one that ran and one that did not - and I was totally not impressed by them. All the old timers around at the time said they had head gasket issues and a crankcase prone to cracking. I think he sold them both for $4000 and thought he hit a home run.

The 841 Indian on the other hand by all accounts was a very solid bike.

Jerry
        Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 01-30-2013, 08:18 PM.

Comment

That's interesting stuff Jerry, and I'm sure the government's appraisal of Indian's manufacturing capability (or lack of) had a lot to do with Indian getting the short end of the stick. I also wonder if it was common knowledge that E. Paul duPont was looking to get out of the Indian company? I've always thought it was unfortunate that duPont gave his heart and soul to Indian during the worst of economic conditions. It would have been interesting to see what he could have done with more money, and a healthy market.

As for the XA; I don't believe it would have succeeded after the war, had it been brought into the domestic market. I say this with all due respect to people who like the XA, but I think it is butt ugly and I don't believe it could have been made attractive enough to sell. Also, considering the competition of verticals from the U.K. and America's love of the big V-twin, I think it's market would have been too small to justify it's production.
          Last edited by exeric; 01-31-2013, 02:18 PM.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Jim,
            All you need to do is search past topics on this board. The life and times of the XA has been dicussed with great detail. Or you could simply read what is written about it in Palmer's Military book.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by panhead_jim View Post
              If all they wanted was a shaft drive, why didn't Harley just design a new transmission for the WLA? I've read that the R71 design was copied because they wanted shaft drive and the cooler running flat-twin for desert use. I don't imagine that the WLA's would have had any cooling issues farther north in Europe. Any thoughts?
              Because Uncle Sam gave them a BMW and said this is what we want and you have six weeks to deliver it. So H-D copied it. Indian used an industral engine they had on hand a copied the tranny and shaft drive.
              Be sure to visit;

Comment

Reading the thread this evening and see a picture of my XA in Rhinebeck. It wasn't for sale though, I brought it to show, got it up and running and was "exercising it" around the fairgrounds. The last time I rode the bike on the road was a few years ago, but remember the smooth, comfortable, easy to ride features. In addition to the opposed twin motor, the bike has rear suspension (16 years earlier than the duo-glide) and foot shift with a hand clutch. It was designed for the Military, but it certainly had some great innovations that Harley put to use years later. Too bad they didn't make it a production bike back then. XA left side.jpg

Comment

Hi Guy:

That explains why I couldn't pin down an asking price... and why noone was buying ;-) Thanks for bringing it, though. It was a treat to see!

Seriously gorgeous machine, old paint, rust, warts and all. As I mentioned above, I lusted after it from the moment I saw it, which is why I took the pictures.

Can you tell us anything about the history or how/where/when you got it? The civilian histories of those bikes must be fascinating, because it would take a special person to ride/own/support the machine back in the day when there was probably nil for dealer support or parts. Still takes a special person today, really. While everyone goes after the V-Twin, there are the chosen few who can get something different!

BTW, I have MT500 Serial number 9. Someday it would be fun to get a WW1 J, a WLA, an XA and an MT together in one place. Heck of a family tree!

Thanks and cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

I think Bruce Palmer III may have an XA for sale.
                    Be sure to visit;

Comment

Working...
                    X