Vintage bike camping in Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage bike camping in Florida

Now that it is 2013, and people are going to start to think about what they are doing concerning bike week in Daytona, I thought it would be a good time to mention this camping venue.

We have some rustic camping spots available for the weeks of "Antique Week" Sunday 3-3-13 to Sunday 3-10-13, and the following week of official "Bike Week" Sunday 3-10-13 to Sunday 3-17-13.

Camping is at the River Forest Campground in Deland Fl. 1/2 mile off 44 about 12 miles west of the Sunshine Chapter meet, and 35 miles east of the Eustis VMA meet. The grounds are part of the south end of the Ocala National forest, and the St Johns river runs through it. It's a great family campground where you can sit on the bank of the St Johns and watch manatees swimming. They finished building a new screened in picnic pavilion, showers and bathrooms last year. There are no electric hookups, so it is rustic camping, there is electric in the bathrooms for shaving or charging a phone

We would like to offer sites for either week to AMCA members for a special price of 100.00 for the whole week per camping rig......whatever size it may be. We can also accomodate people who only want a few days, $25 a day, $40 for two, $60 for three, $80 for four or 5 days to a week $100 bucks. You wont find camping this reasonable in Florida ...anywhere.

We are hoping to have a fun, safe, family oriented place to gather and enjoy vintage motorcyling, and riding on the back roads of Florida for those who want to escape some cold weather. A lot of AMCA members like to avoid the hype of bike week, and this is the perfect enclave to gather, do some riding, and share some stories around the campfire. Also the perfect staging area to enjoy both antique meets.

There is only 35-40 spots at this location, so we need to hear from people early to finish getting it filled.
    Call Tom Faber at 616-293-4811, or email tfaber@fabercycle.com for questions or to make a reservation.

This is an activity that is good for vintage motorcycles, and the people that love them.

Thanks,
    Tom Faber @
    Faber Cycle and Machine

Bike Week in the middle of a big city. Traffic and cops everywhere. Parking at a premium. Inflated prices. The best swap meet on the East cost closed. I won't be going back Daytona again.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris, we wish you were.....and those things you mentioned are just why a few of us are getting together away from all the busy BS, and enjoying some warm weather riding out in the Florida countryside. It's still close enough for those that want to go to the city, but far enough away to not be bothered by it all.

Comment

State Route 44 rums in a direct line from Eustis to New Smyrna between those TWO best swap meets in the East. The "Silver Sands" location is out in the boonies adjacent to the Cabbage Patch; Eustis is still where it has been for 17 years previously.

For most of the ride between them, traffic is only the usual: light, every day citizens, cops are no more than usual. But you have to have been there to speak with any authority on conditions.
        Gerry Lyons #607
        http://www.37ul.com/
        http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Just don't try to leave Silver Sands and pass the Cabbage Patch on your way to Eustis, traffic will hold you up an uncomfortable amount of time. Head the other way for a much longer trip and get held up at the other event up the road... in other words grid lock. Also watch out for tickets crazy cops issuing tickets for being ugly in a no ugly zone.

Silver Sands is a nice venue for horses at a time other than bike week. It offers little pavement and we have few dirt bikes to put into the mud holes. The club can do better.
          joe

Comment

Originally posted by fabercycle View Post
            Chris, we wish you were.....and those things you mentioned are just why a few of us are getting together away from all the busy BS, and enjoying some warm weather riding out in the Florida countryside. It's still close enough for those that want to go to the city, but far enough away to not be bothered by it all.
            Hello Chris, Several of your friends and fellow enthusists would hope you will change your mind and come to Florida, I personally remember the last time we were together at Dixie in Ohio with a mutual friend who will be at Eustis, A lot of this is about spending time with old friends and sharing the memories.

Tom Faber is going the extra mile with the camping and social setting for "Antique Bike Week" and with two venues for people looking for parts, have a choice of locations. We never know when it will be the last time to share stories with old friends instead of just remembering the last chance missed by staying home. My surgery this last summer opened my eyes to how quick things can change and what is important to me. With Respect, Shelby

Comment

Just a note that I have stayed at the campground that Tom Faber is offering (before it was remolded). It's a peacefu,l quiet, shady and right on the river but is very close to all the major
              bike events during bike week..Never had any problems with other campers, food and treats are close by I would suggest you reserve a spot.......you will be thankful you did.

Comment

Chris, I agree with everything you have said...and I would not be going back, either, except that I have retired, sold my business and house in NY, and moved here to the sunshine state permanently...so maybe I'll see you in Rhinebeck or Davenport...Rick "thesportsterguy"

Comment

The list of North Texas area people heading for Daytona is growing. For many years (37) I have made the trip to Daytona for the JamOn Swap meet in Volusia county, and when ever possible the Antique events in the area. For many years Eustis has been on my list of things to do and will remain one of the best I attend/vend at. We have always camped in the National or state parks to enjoy the early spring weather, and Tom Faber has picked one of the best campgrounds in that part of Florida. It is close to everything while being just inside of Lake County at the St. Johns River. What could be better with a bunch of AMCA members sharing good times?

I think Denton Farms is starting to be my second best Spring meet. Shelby

Comment

Shelby and others,, thanks for your endorsement, we will see you down there.

Comment

Originally posted by hd44knuck View Post
                      Just a note that I have stayed at the campground that Tom Faber is offering (before it was remolded). It's a peacefu,l quiet, shady and right on the river but is very close to all the major
                      bike events during bike week..Never had any problems with other campers, food and treats are close by I would suggest you reserve a spot.......you will be thankful you did.
                      Tom has rented the entire campground so the only people that will be there are the antique motorcycle enthusists, AMCA members from Chapters going to Eustis and vendors who get there early and need somewhere to stay. Looking forward to visiting with long time friends and meeting new ones. The campground is easy to get in and out of, far enough off the road to be quiet. There is a central firepit for evening visiting. Lets hope we do not need it to be warm. Shelby

Comment

Slojo, you are right on the money about leaving silver sands. I had to make the right turn and then got caught up in all the traffic at the other end, My last trip to silver sands," EUSTIS FOREVER," thanks, Larry

Comment

Working...
                        X