Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modern Motorcycle Mechanics, 2nd Edition Has Been Reprinted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Motorcycle Mechanics, 2nd Edition Has Been Reprinted!

This is a shameless plug, but I think it's of interest to many of us here, covering Harleys, Indians and also old British Bikes equally:

I want to express my thanks to Greg Williams for re-issuing Modern Motorcycle Mechanics and Speed Tuning by J.B. Nicholson, Second Edition!

I case you're not familiar with it, J.B. (Bernie) Nicholson was a Canadian who wrote and published Modern Motorcycle Mechanics in the early 1940s. He knew his stuff, and collected the "how-to" on all the popular motorcycles of his day.

Though a lot of Brit bikes are covered, what's interesting here is that in the early editions (he went through seven editions in his lifetime) is info on Harleys and Indians in the "American" sections going back to JDs and VLs, that is still invaluable to restorers today of the earlier American bikes.

As we know, the Harley-Davidson Motor Co. did not publish a shop manual until 1941, for the U-model Flatheads and Knuckleheads and those earlier models were not covered. Also, the Indian section goes into details not usually seen in Indian's piecemeal pubications. That's what makes this new issuance of MMM 2nd worth its weight in gold. It's a limited edition, only about 500 copies will be printed, and it's only about fifty eight bucks. Beat-up original copies of Second Edition are getting more than that today on Ebay and the like. It's worth that much to VL and JD guys who know what's in it.

Originally published in 1945, this Modern Motorcycle Mechanics 2nd Edition, is an indispensable guide for owners of JD and VL models Harleys and Indians. The second edition of MMM and ST is the best source for present-day restorers and riders of early American Harleys and Indians. Later editions of the book left out earlier models to make room for more recent bikes and the Speed Tuning section was also taken out.

You can order it directly from Greg Williams, biographer of Bernie Nicholson and the story of MMM, who went to this trouble to publish it as an aid to today's JD and VL restorers, at: www.modernmotorcyclemechanics.com
    Last edited by Sargehere; 01-21-2013, 04:07 PM.
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Greg is a great guy and writes some great stories. I've had my original copy since 1970. Always have a copy on my workbench. MMM sold over 100,000 copies making Bernie probably the best selling Canadian author. Not bad for a motorcycle book.
    Ross

Comment

Thanks for the info Sarge, and I've just ordered my copy.

Comment

Thank Sarge, I just ordered mine as well.
        Bob Selph
        1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
        1940 Sport Scout
        AMCA#15215

Comment

Another Thanks Sarge, just ordered mine too. Had to get a bunch of other goodies from the site while I was at it!
          Eric Olson
          Membership #18488

Comment

More thanks Sarge, mines on the way as well.

Comment

And another, thanks for the heads up Sarge! (I know you didn't mention it for profits sake... but maybe a T-shirt should be coming your way from Greg! )
              Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thanks for the info Sarge. I received my copy today (22/540). The quality is great. So many reprints lose definition but this one is good. I hope Mr. Williams sells them all and wish we had more reprints of the classic restoration/mechanical service books.
                Larry

Comment

Still waiting on mine
                  Bob Selph
                  1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
                  1940 Sport Scout
                  AMCA#15215

Comment

You might want to think about chasing that up Bob. I ordered mine the day after you and it arrived yesterday. I'm in Spain, a lot further from Canada than you.

Comment

It came yesterday.
                      Bob Selph
                      1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
                      1940 Sport Scout
                      AMCA#15215

Comment

Working...
                      X