1st project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st project

Wanted an old bike for years. Ride an 03 Heritage Springer cause it looks old and runs new. Enjoy restoring old cars so I know my way around the garage and metalworking old tin. Dad had an Army surplus 45 Flathead when he got out of the service. I just purchased a 1942 WLA as a project. Engine & trans rebuilt. Frame engine and trans are said to be original. I have no idea how to verify. I was given a 1942 license plate in excellent condition and was told this was the original plate. Front end springer is a repo as are the handlebars. Repo tanks and fenders for U as well as military fenders. Tins are painted , frame powder coated. and several boxes of parts and hardware.
    Just want a nice old bike to ride so plan to just build it as I see fit, but try to keep it period correct.
    Decision is to try to do full resto and make it correct... But don't want a static museum piece.
    or make it a nice bike I can ride and not worry about. Looking for ideas or opinions.

After a couple of restorations, I wish I'd just put time and effort into the motor, and just rebuild the carbs, distributor, oil-pump, and generator. Not put so much money and time into powdercoat, chrome (way expensive), and fancy paint job (took forever to get back from painter-million phone calls). Now, I just want it to run good, and get me out and back; don't care what it looks like.

Comment

I have had lots of restored bikes, but I must say the unrestored are much more fun, this unrestored 36 knucklehead is a blast to ride and I dont have to worry about getting it dirty, just my opinion, thanks, Larry

Comment

1st project

I have had lots of restored bikes, but I must say the unrestored are much more fun, this unrestored 36 knucklehead is a blast to ride and I dont have to worry about getting it dirty, just my opinion, thanks, Larry

Comment

Love the knuckle! and the honest opinions. I agree with you on getting it dirty cause I enjoy riding what I own. I guess the biggest decision at this point is if I should go back to the original Army look? or custom Civilian version.
          I already have a beautiful painted set of tins ready to install so the paintwork is done if I go custom. I have army fenders but they screwed up the color and clear coated the OD Green so they would need to be redone.
          I have the correct numbered heads for it but they painted them black? Same for the timing cover and engine cases. While it looks like a good start I still need a lot of parts and all the correct hardware.
          Anyone going to the Swap Meet in Syracuse NY ?

Comment

couple pics

I'll try to upload some pics. Doesn't look like much and a lot of it is in boxes yet. DSCN0026.jpgDSCN0030.jpg
            Last edited by SWit; 01-20-2013, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Many WLAs had black heads, it depends on where they were in the production timeline. And your frame is not '42. It has features that did not exist until the late '40s (coil mounting blocks). Also no '42 WLAs had 16" rims. Looks like custom is the way to go. it appears you have a nice pile of mismatched parts.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Congrat's hope you have lots of fun with it!

Comment

Nice project... Do you have an 18" front wheel assy in your parts pile? The machine will handle better that way, and you can ditch the modern "space" tires for an older look. Aluminum heads look good bead blasted. There is nothing wrong with a mild custom, especially since you have a multi year project.
                  VPH-D

Comment

You have to remember that the 1942 WLA models were produced during 1942, 1943, 1944, and 1945. There were seven different models in the series. You have to tell us your engine number to determine which one you have.
                    Now with this in mind you have to realize that what you have shown us in your pictures is a customized machine and not a true WLA model as built for the war effort. WLA's, without exception, were painted Olive Drab. This is how it would be if restored to period correct condition. Anything else is customizing. After the war most of the surviving WLA models in this country were customized.
                    Early production WLA's did have license plates. They were originally painted red. But many commands repainted the plates Olive Drab. Very few 1942 models had license plates.
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
                      Many WLAs had black heads, it depends on where they were in the production timeline. And your frame is not '42. It has features that did not exist until the late '40s (coil mounting blocks). Also no '42 WLAs had 16" rims. Looks like custom is the way to go. it appears you have a nice pile of mismatched parts.
                      Yup that's pretty much what I thought going in. As a first project my best hope was a learning curve building it and some fun afternoons on back roads.
                      I knew it should have 18" rims but the guy I got it from said these were easier to find so he put the 16's on. My question is what this will do to the gear ratios running smaller rims? If the original gearing is already low I'll make it worse with smaller rims ... Right?

The reason I joined was for the knowledge and help getting it together so I appreciate your feedback.

The engine case # 42WLA26734
                      The casting? # 112-392

The steering neck of the frame has ZE 35T, with 16 or 18 below that as well as a small "A" in a box.

I would like to know exactly what I have ( mismatched parts wise) so I can tell the person who buys it what he is getting. DSCN0037.jpgDSCN0039.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X