1917 Ackerman Spring Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1917 Ackerman Spring Wheel

Here's something from a long lost corner of motorcycle history, the Ackerman Spring Wheel. The idea was to replace the spokes with sprung steel straps so that the wheel itself acted as the suspension.

Ackerman Spring Wheel
    1964 FLH
    1972 R75/5
    1996 XL1200C
    2001 R1200C
    2007 FXSTB
    Blog: Riding Vintage
    Check out Riding Vintage on Facebook

I have seen pictures of those and I think I posted one from Floyd Clymer's Motor Scrapbook a year or so ago.

So here's the million dollar question: Has anyone actually ever SEEN one of those things? Were they really ever built? Or were they an advertising or 'promoted' item that never made it past the pages of some magazines? Do they exist? Has anyone seen them on a motorcycle (outside old publicity photos?)

I'd love to know how (if) it worked. Because knowing a bit about suspension dynamic and harmonics... my hunch is that it would be one terrifying ride!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

What comes to my mind is Leaping Lena at WTT. The ride may be better than Lena but imagine going into that first corner at about 50 MPH knowing the wheel is going to flex in some direction or other....
      Louie
      FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
      Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
      YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Folks,

There is a simple reason why such things are not practical.

Your machine hangs from the spokes, rather than to sit upon them.

Or at least it should.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Now I'm going to lay in bed tonight trying to figure out how the bike is being held up by the spokes and not setting on them. Thanks alot Tom.
          ------------
          Steve
          AMCA #7300

Comment

Steve!

Imagine you have a machine sitting upright, and a bolt-cutter.

What happens if you cut away only the bottom half of the spokes?
            It can remain hanging under tension.

What happens if you cut away only the top half of the spokes?
            The bottom spokes will fold under the weight.

...Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

a little more about Ackerman spring wheels

Hello Sirhr. I have seen such wheels, but not on a motorbike. There was a set at the WAAAM museum a few years ago. And I've seen bicycles with modified versions of those wheels, and modern cars and SUVs too. I don't know if they'll ever replace spokes or solid wheels, but there are multiple companies around the world who are working on them. Youtube has several videos.

If you want to read more than what that website posted, I have some photos and stories here from a couple of years ago: http://occhiolungo.wordpress.com/201...spring-wheels/ And that reminds me that I should be watermarking the images I put on my website, as they are appearing verbatim on other sites a year or two later...

regards,
              Pete

Originally posted by sirhrmechanic View Post
              I have seen pictures of those and I think I posted one from Floyd Clymer's Motor Scrapbook a year or so ago.

So here's the million dollar question: Has anyone actually ever SEEN one of those things? Were they really ever built? Or were they an advertising or 'promoted' item that never made it past the pages of some magazines? Do they exist? Has anyone seen them on a motorcycle (outside old publicity photos?)

I'd love to know how (if) it worked. Because knowing a bit about suspension dynamic and harmonics... my hunch is that it would be one terrifying ride!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Working...
              X