Vintage Snow Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Snow Machines

For those of you who have snow on the ground, here are some ideas for how to get out and ride...

Vintage Snow Machines
    1964 FLH
    1972 R75/5
    1996 XL1200C
    2001 R1200C
    2007 FXSTB
    Blog: Riding Vintage
    Check out Riding Vintage on Facebook

Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Great pictures, three of those machines are 1915 HD's.

Comment

www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Copied off face book.
          Attached Files

Comment

Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

I really am enjoying these, thanks! (Full disclosure, I import and distribute snowmobiles!)
              Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

An interesting note on the NKL -and one which ties into my old stomping grounds back in Michigan's U.P.- is that there is some evidence that the Soviets obtained plans for "air sleighs" as early as 1924 from one Chester B. Wing, an aviator, automobile dealer and former mayor of St. Ignace, Michigan, U.S.A. He had built practical aerosleds to run across the ice between St. Ignace and Mackinac Island: the Spring 1943 issue of the magazine Science and Mechanics states that "from his aerosleds the Russians developed their present battle sled", although that claim has to be viewed in the context of a picture of an Igor Sikorsky machine in Kiev pre-WWI. Multiple designs of the propeller driven snow machine were used during WWII, including a an ASD-400 heavy assault sled.

Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Chrysler Sno-Runner/Rabbit Still some around. Rode one once, awful.
                  Rich
                  Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Originally posted by frichie68 View Post
                    Chrysler Sno-Runner/Rabbit Still some around. Rode one once, awful.
                    Rich
                    A friend of mine about killed himself on one of these things. Another friend of mine bought one about 3 years ago. Awful things to ride.

Jerry

Comment

If anyone is interested, there is a vintage snow machine meet over in Tuckermans Ravine (NH) in Jan or Feb. each year. They bring out a lot of the wierd old Model T conversions, motorcycles, cats, etc. I've not been, but a friend who has a '20s Cadillac with a snow conversion goes and says it's a blast.

One of these years I'll get out to it. I am sure there is a web site somewhere.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Working...
                      X