Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this an early vintage title search source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this an early vintage title search source?

I have read all the post on this and other boards about verifying early type VIN numbers are not from stolen bikes. I ran across this site on another vintage scooter board

https://mvscusa.com/products/nmvtis/

This site will search pre late model type vins for $2.00. I put vin number in for my 1956 Harley Servicar and it gave me a correct report showing the bike is titled, year titled, state titled in, and not stolen, etc. This appears to be a government affiliated web site, is this the site law enforcement uses to search early titles to verify if stolen. I have a set of VL cases I need to verify that are not stolen and law enforcement in my area has not been accomodating as far as checking title status for me. The site shows the states which use this search prior to title registration. Does law enforcement use a different data base. Thanks!!

Your local LEO will tell you if they are stolen or not for free.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I just ran my 39EL and it only showed the 2 recent title changes in the past 2 years. Nothing previous and this was a recovered stolen motorcycle that I purchased from the owner to which the motorcyle was returned to by local law enforcement after 10 years missing.

Bob

Comment

It's definitely NOT the website law enforcement uses, you and I cannot access NCIC from our home computer.
        ...Been there, done that for 26 years...
        Rich
        Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Thanks, I guess I need to find a local law enforcement officer that is more cooperative. I have had the cases for approx 4 years and just want to be sure they are clean numbers before I build a motor with them. Titles are fairly easy to get in Alabama, if no stolen history.

Comment

Buster, depending on the age, Alabama will register the cases, you'll need a bill of sale, but doesn't issue titles on older vintage bikes or engines. Not sure what the cutoff year is. I've registered my Harley 1921 Model J engine along with my 56 Harley KH engine. By the way, as retired law enforcement, officers coming into contact with NCIC reported stolen bikes, or engines. have to take custody of them. Their department has to account for clearing the hit from the system by recovering the item, and contacting the agency that entered the item as stolen.
            Last edited by dlm32; 01-04-2013, 07:03 AM.
            David Morrill
            Sylacauga, AL. USA.
            AMCA #15284

Deadly Dave's Blog
            Sharing the Lost Stories of Early American Motorcycling.

http://dlmracing.blogspot.com/

1921 Harley-Davidson Model J Racer

It will break a hundred, if you drop it from a plane!

Comment

I believe the cutoff date is 1973 or 1974.

Comment

DLM32, you said you are a retired law officer. Can I take my motor cases into any police station in Alabama and get them to run the numbers on them or where do I go? Is this the policy in Alabama? If so that is what I will do. I have seen two of your bike at Barber's, very nice. Thanks.

Comment

Also ret L.E.- DON'T take the cases unless you're sure they're not hot. Just write down the numbers and take them. If they ask, tell them you're thinking of buying on line or whatever. If they want to confiscate the written-down numbers, no big deal...
                  Rich
                  Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Buster, I did 26 years with the Orlando, FL. Police Department, and moved up here after I retired, so I'm still figuring things out here in Bama. It's much easier to register old stuff here! When I registered my antique motors here, I had a bill of sale on each. Bought both projects off fleaBay. I never had the VINs checked. Unless you suspect they are hot, and you have a bill of sale, I'd just go to your local DMV and register them. Make sure you take the cases with you, as they now verify the VIN on the cases with the VIN listed bill of sale. You can also get a form from the DMV and have the local police verify the VIN. Not sure if they will run the VIN, but they may. Like I said, if they do run them, and get a hit on the VIN, then they will confiscate them! You should be safe as long as you have a proper bill of sale showing you purchsed them, rather than stole them.

When I registerd my 56, I just took them the bill of sale. A year later, when I did the 1921, they made me bring it down to check the VIN. I had to show the clerk the engine #, cause she had never seen anything that old. Don't think they'll take a written down VIN for verification anymore, but they didn't run the VIN, so who knows???

Glad you like the bikes.
                    David Morrill
                    Sylacauga, AL. USA.
                    AMCA #15284

Deadly Dave's Blog
                    Sharing the Lost Stories of Early American Motorcycling.

http://dlmracing.blogspot.com/

1921 Harley-Davidson Model J Racer

It will break a hundred, if you drop it from a plane!

Comment

Working...
                    X