NOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS

What is the definition of NOS? I allways thought I knew, but more and more I see it used to decribe used parts.
    Kerry
    Kerry AMCA # 15911

New Old Stock. An unused new part from back in the day.

Rich

Comment

That's what I allways thought. I see so many obviously used parts listed as NOS on fleabay that I wanted reassurance the meaning hasn't changed. I saw a part listed the other day that made me laugh, the listing said "almost NOS". I guess that means it's not exactly new but pretty close to being new.

Kerry
      Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

NOS is ALSO misused to mean "Old, unsold, aftermarket / 'junk we had laying around' parts." NOS used to mean old unused off-the-shelf OEM parts (Original Equipment of the Manufacturer) Now, it's caveat emptor, buyer beware, and no definitions can be "assumed."
        Last edited by Sargehere; 12-07-2012, 08:17 PM. Reason: typo "D" for "S"
        Gerry Lyons #607
        http://www.37ul.com/
        http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

yep, I also thought "made in the usa" meant what it said. But it really means made in Japan or china
          AMCA 26656

47EL
          47WL

Comment

HELLO /n.o.s. real unused harley-ford-case-desoto,etc. original parts,not later repo /japan/china/bangladesh knock off junk. as sarge said buyer beware

Comment

The term NORS used to be pretty common as well, NEW OLD REPLACEMENT STOCK, meaning aftermarket or later OEM that interchanged. You never see it used much these days.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

It means if I can get you to pay more for those 3 letters I will. Unfortunatly, it means look real close because nowadays it means nothing.
                D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Working...
                X