Early Motorcycle Racing Legend Jim Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Motorcycle Racing Legend Jim Davis

Thought you guys might enjoy this article I put together on Jim Davis. His career spanned 1915 - 1936, riding for both Harley and Indian.

Jim Davis
    1964 FLH
    1972 R75/5
    1996 XL1200C
    2001 R1200C
    2007 FXSTB
    Blog: Riding Vintage
    Check out Riding Vintage on Facebook

That was a great tribute to the gentleman racer. He was definitely a contrast to some of the other rough and tumble types of the era!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Good reading, I was lucky enough to git to meet Jim and talk with him abit. Though he looked in poor shape, he was in good spirrits and he seemed very sharp mentally - I was amazed. I thought he had probably passed away long ago. I think he was in his late 90's at that time, I was thrilled to meet him + even got his signature. He seemed to enjoy telling stories of the old days, Dee Cameron took him around the track in his teen's HD with sidehack. He had a great smile on his face, waving to the crowd and they loved it. I also got to meet the last Indian wrecking crew at that time, it was quite cool !!

Comment

Wow Tom! You were lucky! I bet his stories were something else!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

When I place the cursor on the page, I get a "default" note. So I'm missing the goods. But, didn't the AMC mag do a Jim Davis article? back in the 90's? And didn't they do a Don Johns article also? Where else could I have read them? .... I knew of these riders from reading the Iron Redskin by Sucher, but the article was more comprehensive.

Is there supposed to be a "subject index" accessibility on the magazine on this web site? or is this not developed yet?

Comment

Phil

I'm not sure why you would be get a "default" note, but maybe try just going to the main page of the of the blog instead of directly to the article: Riding Vintage
            1964 FLH
            1972 R75/5
            1996 XL1200C
            2001 R1200C
            2007 FXSTB
            Blog: Riding Vintage
            Check out Riding Vintage on Facebook

Comment

Phil.... Jerry Hatfield had an interview with Jim Davis and an article ran in a two or three part run in the club mag.. maybe in the 80's??? I'd have to dig it up. There was also a two part article by Jim Earp in 1991 on "The Fabulous Don Johns". As for a "subject index".... The only thing I know about is the CD(s) that covered all the mags from the beginning. It's not offered anymore..... I shoulda grabbed a copy when they were!!!!!
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by panhead_jim View Post
                Phil

I'm not sure why you would be get a "default" note, but maybe try just going to the main page of the of the blog instead of directly to the article: Riding Vintage
                Yeah, it works tonight, thanks!
                And Cory, yes the Davis article was in the 90's (I knew I wasn't hallucinating!). .. and the Johns article, kudos!

and now, for how to share some of that most interesting reading with "prospect" members: .. actually, I want to share it with me, again! My collection of the amc mags is in dis-array, so there won't be an easy effortless way to find those articles. But my little lady has graciously parked my literature in a quarter of her book case.

Comment

Phil... The article was a three part series titled "Bench Racing with Jim Davis" by Jerry Hatfield. The first part ran in the Summer 1986 issue. It had a single cylinder Sears on the cover. The second was the Fall issue and had a stunning 1914 Feilbach Limited on the cover. The final part ran in the Winter issue which had the classic artistic piece with the young guy and gal approaching the top of a hill on their Sport Scouts. Hopefully this makes your search a little easier! As for sharing it with folks that may not have those issues.... if Jerry gave permission I would gladly post it.
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                  X