Rear brake arbor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear brake arbor

Hi. Over the years I have bought an insane amount of Harley stuff on ebay.
    The joy of clicking the (Buy Now) button, seldom balanced out the disapointment of the junk that arrived in the blue and white box.
    I have a few rear brake drums, that looked great in the blurry, unfocused, pictures that the sellers supplied on ebay.
    I've repaired broken dowels, removed welds from the back of sprokets, and even pressed the bolting face down to be parallel to the brake surface.

I fitted a drum to one of my bikes and keyed the brake shoes to the drum.
    When I apply my rear brake at low speed (15-20 mph) the bike jerks back and forth and makes it impossible for me to look cool.

I need an arbor to round up the brake surface.
    Years ago I remeber seeing a company selling a tool for turning out brake drums. The tool was an arbor that fitted in a lathe chuck. The other end was set up like a star hub. The drum was bolted to the arbor and then the drum could be turned out and made round.
    Any leads on this tool?
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Steve, With all the beautiful frame work you showed in another thread, and the equipment you have, why don't you just make an arbor? Pictures are of one I made. I made the center piece, with holes to locate on the pins and countersunk holes to accept original bolts, with a ID bored concentric. I made a boss on the extensions to center on the bored hole in the middle piece. One extension has male threads and the other female, or you could tap both and use threaded rod to connect the 3 pieces together. And centers were put in the extensions at the same time I turned them for concentricity reasons. If you want dimensions I can supply, I know I lock-tited the halves together so I would have to guess at the dimensions inside the middle piece, but that can be whatever you want it to be. The flats on the ends of the extensions are for a wrench when screwing the 3 pieces together. Bob AMCA# 6738
    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Don't know if it will help but HD pt.# is 97280-60A
      Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

That is beautiful work Bob. Every time I work on H-D drums, I tell myself I'm going to make a holding fixture for the future. Obviously I don't listen to myself.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Hi Bob and Kerry.
          Thanks for the input and suggestions and nice job on the arbor Bob.
          As you,ve suggested, i have the ability and machinery to manufacture it. Money I got, time I don't.
          I would guesstimate there is 2 days in making that tool and in the mad rush to get the frame orders out the door, before we close for Christmas/Summer holidays, that time doesn't exist.
          Some people might pose the question "Whats wrong with the hours between 11pm and 6 am" they are perfectly good hours.
          I know!! I,m bone lazy.

Hoping to find one of the ready made tools, for sale.
          I wonder if I saw it in a Jammer magazine years ago.
          Regards Steve
          Steve Little
          Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
          Australia.
          AMCA member 1950

Comment

Steve, Who knows what the quality will be, V-Twin #16-0122. You are most fortunate, I have no money or time and you get an hour more sleep than me.

Thanks Eric, you accomplish building alot more bikes than I do, I just build alot of tools it seems like. Someone will have some nice tools when I'm gone. Bob, AMCA#6738

Another thing looking at the arbor again. Memory failed for a while, made this tool about 10 years ago. Anyway, on one of the extensions the step diameter closest to the middle flange is approx. 2.095 to fit mechanical rear and front drums and early hydraulic rear, (basically the same diameter as the locator boss on a star hub). The step on the other extension fits 67-72 mid-year hubs, approx. 1.575. (Just unscrew and turn the middle plate the opposite direction) I made this to fit all the drums for the bikes I have, you could also do the same. It kinda helps insure concentricity instead of just relying on the studs. Remember if you make your own the bolt angle is 60* included not a 82* or 90* standard countersink. If you don't want V-Twins, PM me and I can price making one for you. My time frame would be about 3-4 weeks. Bob
            Last edited by BigLakeBob; 11-26-2012, 03:48 PM. Reason: additional info
            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Here's one for 72 bucks...http://www.lawbrotherscycles.com/Onl...ake/tool/tools

Comment

You are too modest Bob; I've seen your work and I think you are one of the most talented machinists I've known.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

I purchase one from Tedd a couple of years ago and it was totally unacceptable - the brake drum ran eccentrically. I returned it immediately. I was informed that this problem was corrected and I ordered one again. The new one is obviously different from the first. It now has a black Oxy finish and the machine work is obviously superior to the previous one. This one runs fully concentric. You do have to be careful and check very carefully when ordering these tools from V-Twin.
                  Bill Pedalino
                  Huntington, New York
                  AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                  X