Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration Project for competent Amateur

Hi All,
    I know this is a controversial subject, but I am going to ask anyway. I am a long time biker who is semi competent with a wrench, but I do not have access to a machine shop, etc. The oldest bikes that I have fiddled with were a 48 Nimbus and a 55 Norton single. I bought these in one lump, not a pile. So, these were not restoration projects, just minor make over/maintenance projects. I want to do one ground up restoration (preferably an american bike) that I will do as a keeper, but I do want to ride it a few times a year. What would you suggest on a limited budget.
    Criteria:
    I want to do most of the work
    Want to do a fairly correct restoration
    Cost $15K or less
    Most parts must be obtainable
    Semi reliable rider
    prefer older rigs(pre50's)

Thanx for any suggestions or advice,
    Clay

Clay -

The budget that you gave put you in a good position to pick just about any project that you want. Do you want a Big Twin? Or, smaller twin? Harley-Davidson? Indian? Other? If you want something fun and not too big, get a H-D 45 and do a correct civillian model or military model. All parts are available is some form and price. Just an idea.

Jack

Comment

I would recommend a 45" flathead H-D as a safe project that doesn't pose too many money risks.

The parts for these bikes are readily available and often reasonable in price. It's a genuine antique that you'll be proud to ride.

I don't see it as a good freeway bike, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

Good luck!

Comment

Bob -

I hope that you are wrong about the freeway cruiser. I plan to take my WLA on Route 66, in the Summer of 2005. I'll be leaving from N. Carolina.

Jack

Comment

Jack, I didn't mean Route 66, I meant more like the big interstates!

I hope your trip is loads of fun and you tell us all about it. Your WLA should be a real blue chip, a trusty mount.

Comment

45s

Hi Bob and Jack,
            Thanx for the responses.......on the 45's do you know how common engine parts are between the early 30' bikes and the later post war 45's?? Also, do you think a 45 will run at sustained speeds higher than 60mph??

Thanx,
            Clay

Comment

Bob -

I've been running numbers for the sprockets available for this machine. I will be running a 17T transmission sprocket, and the rear wheel is a fixed 41T. Clutch is a fixed 59T. So, my variables will be the engine sprocket and the RPMs. I will break it in with a 27T engine. I have a 30T, 31T, 32T, and a 33T engine sprocket. I'm planning a max speed of 65 mph, and not taching too high. I wrote a small computer program to run the ratios, and save the data to a .HTM file. But, none of it means anything until it hits the road. I will run some Interstate highways, and a lot of backroads. I have next Spring to iron out the bugs.

Jack

Comment

Clay -

I have built 45 H-D's for many years, and mostly war models to late ServiCars. Never run into a shortage of parts. And now, 45 Parts Depot is providing some high quality repro parts that I will use when a NOS part is not available. Or, if their price is cheaper, as the NOS parts are getting higher.

I plan to make my WLA a highway machine to run on any road. I've set my road speed max at 65.

Jack

Comment

45 project ?

throttle masters in chicago has a 34 tooth motor sprocket for the 45, just picked 1 up for my19 45,45

Comment

FltHead -

I'm tending towards a 32T as the max, until I can try it. Running the numbers puts this at an engine speed that leaves me enough torque to pull most shallow grade hills. I believe that the 34T might be too tall for mountain climbing on the Interstates, although it may work well in second gear. Thanks for the source. I'll pick one up to put with the rest of them, and give it a try when the time comes.

Jack

Comment

I have a 34 tooth motor sprocket on my 49WL and it criuses comfortably in the 60-65mph range. It won't pull the steeper hills in our area in 3rd. A WL is not a good choice for interstate highway use, but it sure is a pleasure to ride backroads all day. Once properly assembled you won't find yourself looking for parts as they are incredibly reliable. When riding with friends on modern machinery the 45 tends to slow the whole group down so it has been nicknamed "the governer", but in the coarse of a days riding everyone takes a turn on it. Sometimes I have trouble getting it back.

Comment

Working...
                      X