Mike Terry & Hurricane Sandy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Terry & Hurricane Sandy

I spoke to Mike Terry this evening (Nov. 2) and he asked me to relay a message to all his friends in the club. Mike's home was hit by the hurricane this week and his "man cave" flooded with about 5 feet of sea water. His Corvette and Chevy Nomad plus many of his motorcycles got rather wet. He did manage to get some of the machines on higher platforms but most everything was submerged.

Mike is OK, surviving the 100 mph winds and water that hit his home. His spirits are good and his outlook on the situation is also good. He has had the help of several of his friends, getting the bikes cleaned up and running again. It's tough as he doesn't have any fresh water or electricity yet. He'll get through this tragedy fine. He told me that he will be accepting donations in the form of Reading Standard parts.

Doug Strange

thanks for the update doug

aka HAWG
    1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
    1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
    1940 indian chief military
    1965 sportster xlch
    1969 sportster xlch bobber
    1971 bsa A65 chopper
    1969 harley ss350 sprint
    1960 harley topper
    1963 harley topper
    H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
    H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
    1949 harley model 125 bobber project
    1959 harley model 165
    1960 harley super 10
    1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
    EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

Ha! Reading Standard parts eh? He sounds like he's in good spirits!
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Mike is in good spirits. I went down to his place in Jersey today and spent the day helping him revitalize a bunch of machinery. What a day!

Comment

mike terry here member #756

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
          Mike is in good spirits. I went down to his place in Jersey today and spent the day helping him revitalize a bunch of machinery. What a day!
          Hello out there, Still no electric yet.. here guarding my home,,,Thank all my amc friends for their moral support. joe oz took me in to his home and so many also helped . I would like to mention that joe , Jeff baer,AKA hollywood , Dave minervia, came here,,helped clean my bikes,, and countless others offered their help, Our amc friends and all motorheads are wonderful people , Thankyou all . Check knucklebuster1939 for progress .. Mike.

Comment

Mike, I'll get some pictures up on the Blog tonight. Glad I could help!

http://knucklebuster1939.blogspot.com/

Comment

Wrote this in the other thread about hurricane sandy & if you want to get the salt off your gear: http://www.saltawayproducts.com/

Not here to sell the stuff but if you have sea water problems and can get potable water, rinse with Salt Away at a dilution of 1:520 for immersing, or use a Weed sprayer set at 3 table spoons per gallon. THis is slightly higher concentrate than what the mixer they sell works at, but considering the volume of gear head things one has to do, the weed spray tool works the best. THis is the same tool used for fertilizers and insecticides that has the teaspoon/tablespoon indicator. Rinse with the solution until your gear drips, then let dry or blow off.

Sat Away has a flash rust protection inhibitor that lasts up to 30 days or if your gear gets wet again, the rust inhibitor rinses from the surface as it is water soluable.

Don't forget to apply good rust inhbitors as soon as you can.

If you cannot get to fresh water, apply the rust inhbitors, a high quality inhibitor product will work even when chlorides are present. Once things settle down, you should still work to remove the chlorides and what ever you do, don't paint any surfaces or begin surface prep until the chlorides are removed.

If the chlorides are trapped, this will allow moisture to be held at the substrate, which in turn causes blistering and when the paint lifts the rust starts in earnest.

After working around sea water environment for years with various metals, salt/chlorides are one of the most critical chemicals to insure removing or for the metal, it will forever have corrosion issues.
              Last edited by ricmoran; 11-05-2012, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Hey Mike, I posted those horrifying pictures at:

http://knucklebuster1939.blogspot.com/

Here's one...

DSCN0857a.jpg

Comment

Those photos are indeed horrific!!! Mother nature has no mercy. So did the lift spare that awesome little baby Cleveland or was the water line higher at one point?
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

I think the baby's gonna be OK.....

Comment

Those pictures are horrifying! I can't imagine the feeling of seeing that much water in the room with handlebars sticking out. Good luck with the clean up Mike. Louie and Rose
                      Louie
                      FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                      Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                      YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                        I think the baby's gonna be OK.....
                        I'm glad to hear it!
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

Glad to hear you are ok Mike, thought about you when the Frankenstorm was on the news here. The Thor engine is nice and dry here in Perth, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                          X