Cannonball III????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannonball III????

Anybody heard any rumours about a Cannonball III in 2014?

I'd love to see a coast-to-coast ride on pre war (1942 or earlier) bikes. Tighten up the schedule, allow for only owner or other rider repairs, no machine shops on wheels, etc. Taking only what you could carry. Maybe make it a round-trip ride. Would be interesting.
    Lonnie Campbell #9908
    South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

no machine shops, carry your own tools and parts, love it! I know the original Baker use to sleep beside his bike, I could do that a few times but too old and a nice bed off the ground would be prefered. grin.
    Bob Beatty
    AMCA 19209

Comment

How about a ride that ends where it starts? Would be cheaper for the common man, wouldn't have to go coast to coast to coast, saving gas and time. Not everyone has a spare 3-4 weeks and $10,000. I know it wouldn't be a true cannonball like the one's a hundred years ago, but none of them are. Attested by some of those support rigs I saw at this years event. Just some ideas.
      Louie
      FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
      Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
      YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

As I sip my morning coffee and search for post Cannonball II therapy support groups. I can't help wonder when will we first hear of the next cannonball III and model years involved. Does anyone know how long it took them to make the announcement of the Cannonball II run for 2012?
        AMCA 26656

47EL
        47WL

Comment

I too am hoping there will be a III. Not to participate but as a spectator. So is there any prize money for the winners/finishers or is the reward simply personal achievemnt?

I'm just finding out about this event so I don't know much about it but it is very intriging. It appears participants with deeper pockets who can afford a fully equipped and staffed support van could have a significant advantage so it'd be good to try and even out the playing field where having more money doesn't give too much of an advantage.
          Jason Zerbini
          Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
          Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LouieMCman View Post
            How about a ride that ends where it starts? Would be cheaper for the common man, wouldn't have to go coast to coast to coast, saving gas and time. Not everyone has a spare 3-4 weeks and $10,000. I know it wouldn't be a true cannonball like the one's a hundred years ago, but none of them are. Attested by some of those support rigs I saw at this years event. Just some ideas.
            Maybe in recogination of the past winner, twice over. A big X, starting in Michigan crossing to New Mexico up to Montana then crossing to Alabama then back up to Michigan. Bob
            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by Skirted View Post
              It appears participants with deeper pockets who can afford a fully equipped and staffed support van could have a significant advantage so it'd be good to try and even out the playing field where having more money doesn't give too much of an advantage.
              Skirt,

The winner of Cannonball one and two, Brad Wilmarth had a friend (CB I) or nephew (CBII) and a pickup truck with a cap on the back, not even a trailer. Second place finisher myself parried up with another rider and shared expenses. I built , rode and maintained my bike alone, without a pit crew. Jim Denny, like Brad ran a truck with cap, his girlfriend Chris was his support crew , just to mention a few who did not over staff.

The way out of bringing a machine shop and several staff members is to use care in selecting your ride and pay attention to details in preparation.

joe
              Last edited by Slojo; 09-28-2012, 09:00 PM.

Comment

I would love to see it for maybe 40 and down or maybe even a Knuckleheads across america run, then maybe I would be able to attend, thanks, Larry

Comment

if anybody would like a specific run, just plan it and promote it. don't sit back and wait for one
                  rob ronky #10507
                  www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

National Road Runs occur all season long. Create a challenge for yourself and ride to and from a couple along with the run, you will put on a lot of miles right away! Ask Bruce Lindsay what it is like. One year he rode to every national meet and road run on the same prewar knucklehead! Why do you need an event when you can just create one! Jim Brehio regularly rides across the country on his knuckle, so does Stanley Miller.
                    Robbie
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Slojo View Post
                      Skirt,

The winner of Cannonball one and two, Brad Wilmarth had his a friend (CB I) or nephew (CBII) and a pickup truck with a cap on the back, not even a trailer. Second place finisher myself parried up with another rider and shared expenses. I built , rode and maintained my bike alone, without a pit crew. Jim Denny, like Brad ran a truck with cap, his girlfriend Chris was his support crew , just to mention a few who did not over staff.

The way out of bringing a machine shop and several staff members is to use care in selecting your ride and pay attention to details in preparation.

joe
                      Joe - So you were bike #14 then. A 1914 HD? Congratulations on the perfect score and #2 finish!!!! It would be a privledge to meet you and shake your hand. Guess thats you on the motorcyclecannonball.com home page working on your machine. Thanks for the first hand feedback. I kind of wondered if knowledge and experience could supercede a fancy support van.

I don't mean to be pesky but what was the most difficult and easiest part of the run for you? Would you rather run the northern cooler route vs the hotter southern route in 2010?
                      Jason Zerbini
                      Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                      Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Jason

Yes #14 1914 HD

The most difficult challenge of the event for me were the elements mother nature threw at us. North, South routes both have their challenges , tough call. The easiest part of the run was the No Cal riding it was possibly the most enjoyable, BIG WOODS !

joe

Comment

Hats off to those without a major support crew! Job well done.

What would the rough lowend cost to participate in this event be? for the sake of the question - let's say no support vehicle, just start to finish travel expenses and any entry fees if applicable.
                          AMCA #10930

Comment

Robbie is right, we just need to ride more often on our own, thanks, Larry

Comment

Just Do It!! My friend and I, me on a 1937 Chief and him on a 1946, did 8500 miles one summer by ourselves with NO trucks, cars, shops, etc. We had the trip of a Lifetime and took 2 months to do it! All the way across the Country and Back!! I think it cost me about $2500. We camped all the way, met tons of great people and HAD A BLAST! The personal satisfaction is worth every bit as much as the recognition of doing a Event Ride. I have done many cross Country rides on a Pan as well. the Cannonball is AWESOME, but don't let the Lack of a Cannonball that suits your needs keep you from Flogging your Old iron across the Good Ole USA!!!
                              http://laughingindian.com/
                              http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
                              A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

Working...
                              X