anyone know of Mr Donnelly 36 chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone know of Mr Donnelly 36 chief

Hello just want to check if anyone on this site knew of a Mr Donnelly who pasted away 9 months ago he owned a red 36 chief lived in Alsip Il ,trying to verified the owner and bike ?cheers Rob.

Rob,

Can't say that I know the owner, but there was a red 36 for sale a while back on ebay that was from Alsip or that area. I tried to contact the seller to see if I could come and take some pictures of it, but I got no response.

AFAIK, it sold. I think I have the ebay pics of it saved and maybe the listing - let me know if that would help you at all.
    AMCA #10930

Comment

Knotthed ,i too saw add have found the person selling it ,very nice bike ,has move country ,will not talk on the phone only wants to talk by computer ,so i ask for a photo of a current bill with name and address to be place on the seat of the bike to show they are real ,just received photo of his bills with current address but no photo of it on the bike ? Rob

Comment

Are you saying it is listed for sale again outside of the USA or possibly a fake listing for sale outside of the USA?
        AMCA #10930

Comment

I saw it on craigslist Chicago ,sent an email ,heard nothing for 2 weeks then got an email from the wife, moved back home and taken the bike with her, i just sent an email saying if you do not show what i asked for ,my peace of mine we do not have a deal , so the we will see who is telling the truth.. Rob

Comment

I will look tonight to see if I still have the ebay listing, all sounds kind of fishy to me. Did the craigslist add have detailed information or just generic? i remember the ebay ad being very detailed.
            AMCA #10930

Comment

Should have added this the engine # CCF 1259 BY , is this someone bike locally in the USA ,i am wounding if they have taken an old add and using it as a selling point ? did notice the title engine # CCF 1250 ? close but ... it states that it has 9600 miles or there about on the speedo surely someone in the area would know of this bike with those miles on it .

Comment

This is the photo of the bike, anyone know it?11.jpg

Comment

Part 1 due to 10000 character limit

Here is the info from ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=320951245991

Seller: beechkitty
                  Buyer: f***v (1188)
                  Sold July 30th 2012

OFFERING:

The 1930’s Chiefs, although not produced in large numbers, are quite popular with both collectors and restorers. Their rigid frames and open-style fenders gave them a “looks fast even when standing still” style that never fails to attract attention wherever they are parked. Their low center of gravity, eighteen-inch wheels and leaf spring front forks give them an easy handling feel that makes their ride an enjoyable and unforgettable experience. –Buzz Kanter, Indian Motorcycles

In 1936, a grand total of only 5,028 Indians were manufactured at the “Wigwam” located at 837 State Street in Springfield, Mass. In 1936, the Chief had new valanced fenders, the “Y” motor was introduced, a new battery ignition featured an Auto-Lite distributor, new “T” oil lines added to improve valve guide lubrication, fuel tanks were restyled, and a new taillight and brake light switch were added.

The 1936 Indian Chief "74" with Optional Y-Motor is a rare commodity indeed. Here is such a machine, attractively finished in DuPont DuLux Indian Red w/Gold pin striping with a three-speed transmission and presented in excellent, period correct condition throughout.

HISTORY:

This accurately preserved piece of history came from the late "Charles F. Davis" collection. My father purchased this motorcycle and another late-production 1946 Indian Chief w/Sidecar from an Illinois Indian dealer in the 1980's. The bike was found in ALL ORIGINAL condition and everything was still intact except for the taillight and leather seat cover. Since "Chuck" was already one of the world’s foremost authorities on Harry A. Miller Indy race cars, he decided to turn his knowledge and enthusiasm for restoration of historic machines to his 1936 Indian Chief. All of the work was painstakingly accomplished by vintage race car restorer, Dave Hentschel, who already had the honor of watching Chuck's 1929 V16 Perfect Circle Miller receive the AACA's highest award for race cars, the Past Presidents Racing Cup!

No stone was left un-turned, no detail too small, and no part was neglected as the COMPLETE restoration of the 1936 Indian Chief was achieved in 1993. Since then, this piece of "functional art" sat on display amongst Chuck's private collection of race cars, vintage cars, motorcycles, and memorabilia. Currently, the speedometer reads 9665; however, ONLY 8 miles have been lovingly put on the machine since 1993!

SPECIFICS:

Sharing the 1936 models’ headlines was the new standard battery powered Auto-Lite distributor ignition system for the twins, which replaced the “wasted-spark” setup of 1932-1934. Harley-Davidson continued to claim their wasted-spark battery ignition was more reliable because they didn’t utilize a distributor. The Brown distributor cap is correct; it was standard on new battery ignition Indians from 1936-1953. (Note: Picture #14 in this auction clearly shows the correct Brown distributor cap).

The Y-Motors, a.k.a the Ricardo or "trench" heads, were improved engines specifically designed to produce higher Low & Midrange torque. These motors had a myriad of upgraded components over the standard motor: (1) Larger Nickel-Plated Cylinders (2) Larger Aluminum (un-plated) Cylinder Heads (3) Increased Cylinder Head Height (4) Different Valve Guides (5) 13 Cooling Fins instead of 12 (6) Cooling Fins angled into the airstream. (Letters following the Model Numbers signify: B, Distributer; Y, Large Cylinders as seen in picture #6 of the auction showing the engine serial #CCF1259BY).

Year and model……………………………………………..……………..………….............…… …1936 Chief

Engine……………………………………………………………….…................…. side-valve 42 degree V-twin

Bore and stroke…………………………………………………………....……............…..… ….3 1/4x4 7/16 in.

Displacement………...………………………………………………………………………..... ..……..…73.62 ci

Bhp……………..……………………………………………………………………………………….….40(e st.)

Lubrication……………………………………………………………………………..……...... ...…….dry sump

Ignition………………………………………………………………………………………….....……… ..battery

Gearbox………………………………………………………….............three-speed; hand-actuated; sliding gear

Clutch……………………………………………………..……………………………………………………we t

Primary drive……….........................................e ndless four-row chain, oil bathed, in cast aluminum oil bath case

Wheelbase……………………………………….........……..………………………………… ………….61 ½ in.

Wheels and tires………………………………………............……………18 in. drop-center rims, 18x4.00 tires

Suspension……………………………………………....................... ………….rear, none; front, leaf spring fork

Weight………………………………………………………………………........……………………… ..481 dry

Seat height……………………………………………….……………………………..…........... ...…..solo, 29 in.

Mpg…………………………………………………………………..………………………..………..……35-45

Top speed……………………………………………………………...……………………….........… …..85 mph

You will be hard pressed to locate another 1936 Indian Chief in as excellent, period correct condition that has:

-Original metal

-6 Volt System

- Correct 1936 engine and frame numbers (CCF1259 BY) & (3361250)

-8 miles put on bike since total restoration

-New Pistons, New Bearings, New Crankshaft and New Rings

- Cylinders Bored

- Transmission Overhauled with New bearings and New seal kit

- Carbuerator Overhauled

-Rebuilt Ignition, New Switch

-New Wiring Harness

-Rebuilt Speedometer

-New Clutch

-Rebuilt Cables

-New Exhuast

- New tires and tubes

- Wheels Respoked/Trued with New Stainless Steel Spokes

- New brake shoes

-New Seat

-New Battery & Box

Full Disclosure:

-Corbin Speedometer has a crack in the glass cover.

-Rear bike stand has some paint chipping on bottom.
                  AMCA #10930

Comment

Part 2 due to 10000 character limit

SELLER:

I have been a member of eBay since 8/16/01 and have 100% feedback. I have sold everything from a 2004 Jeep Rubicon to a 2000 Triton Trailer to designer jewelry/sunglasses. I take buying and selling items on eBay very seriously. Please don’t bid on this 1936 Indian Chief if you don’t plan on buying.

I will be more than happy to provide more photos, information, schedule a viewing, or discuss why Indians are better than Harley’s. Just ask and I will respond promptly.

Good luck and Happy bidding!!!

Question & Answer Answered On

Q: Hi, When was the last time the bike was running? How are the bottoms of the gas tanks? Any bubbles in the paint or post-restoration issues? Thanks Mark Jul-29-12
                    A: Thank you for your interest in the 1936 Indian Chief. Even though the motorcycle is not ridden, it iis still meticulously maintained and inspected on a biannual basis. Since restoration, the bike has been kept in climate controlled facilities. It was last started approximately (1) month ago and everything was given a once over and passed with flying colors. There are no issues with the gas tanks and no paint bubbles. Serious bidders are more than welcome to perform their own survey on the restoration. Good Luck and Happy Bidding!!!
                    Q: Hi, When was the last time the bike was running? How are the bottoms of the gas tanks? Any bubbles in the paint or post-restoration issues? Thanks Mark Jul-29-12
                    A: Thank you for your interest in the 1936 Indian Chief. Even though the motorcycle is not ridden, it iis still meticulously maintained and inspected on a biannual basis. Since restoration, the bike has been kept in climate controlled facilities. It was last started approximately (1) month ago and everything was given a once over and passed with flying colors. There are no issues with the gas tanks and no paint bubbles. Serious bidders are more than welcome to perform their own survey on the restoration. Good luck and Happy Bidding!!!
                    Q: Dear seller, As the owner of a 1936 Chief I would like to comment on the matching numbers: I fully agree with you that it would be impossible to find a number so close to the original if cases were ever replaced, To my understanding this is an original matching number Chief with the correct type face. My advise to you would be: clean the numbers on the frame in a nice way and put some clear coating on it. If people are 100% convinced on matching numbers it will increase the value a lot! A small effort that can make a big difference! Good luck with the auction. Martin, the Netherlands Jul-26-12
                    A: Thank you for your interest in the 1936 Indian Chief. Serious bidders are more than welcome to survey the bike. All the best to you and your 1936 Chief!!!
                    Q: Is your bike matching numbers? Or is add a typo. Would you be interested in a trade. 1947 HD Servicar with 15 miles on restoration 1960 Ford Tbird 53000 miles unrestored new headliner carpet and seats. i have 3 Indians but no hard tails. Geno Spaulding SHOALS INDIANA Hawaii cell 808-295-5814 Just retired from US Merchant Marine. Jul-26-12
                    A: Thank you for your interest in the 1936 Indian Chief. Please see my responses regarding your questions as these topics have already been addressed. Good Luck and Happy Bidding!!!
                    Q: I have 3 Chiefs. Pre and Post war. All have Chrome headers. I see yours does not. Is it chrome under the black? I am told by my Indian expert that the headlight case and glass are not correct, plus the kickstarter should have the same color match as the handlebars. Is the carb a Dlx 108 as I can't tell from the pictures. In addition the air horn on the carb is not correct. How much over is the bore, and does it have new sleeves. Im also curious about the condition of the gas tank, and since it only has 8 miles since restore, how often does bike get started. Before I buy this bike I want to make sure everything is legitimate and 100% 1936 Jul-26-12
                    A: Thank you for your interest in the 1936 Indian Chief. (1). Headers: They are not Chrome, as Chrome would be correct for 1937-1939. Black is correct for this 1936 Indian Chief exhaust system, just as it was from 1935-1936. (2). Headlight/Glass: The "Moto Lamp" headlight and glass cover are period correct for 1936 and replacement parts can still be found on Jerry Greer's website. (3). Chrome parts: In 1936, Indian offered a special and attractive combination of plating, including chromium, some cadmium, embracing over (15) items. Or, riders could order specific items chrome-plated, as this was an Indian practice for several years. (4). Carburetor: I can make out "DLX", as it is very hard to see into such a small space. The air horns most commonly seen on the 1936 were the "tear-drop" shaped ones made by Indian. However, other manufacturers made air horns to fit the carburetor, including Schebler. (5). Boring/Sleeves: The engine was bored .020 and there are no sleeves. (6). Gas Tank: The bike is started every (6) months and Stabil is used in the tank. There is no visible rust nor corrosion inside the gas tank. 7). Inspection: Please feel free to come survey the bike, or send your Indian expert to discuss the bike with the mechanic who performed the restoration. Good Luck and Happy Bidding!!!
                    Q: Nice bike I hope you get $100,000. for it Fisrt off a comment . The wasted spark set up was still available in 1935 If your bike was restored from an "all original" how come the frame # and engine # are not a match ? Jul-25-12
                    A: Thank you for your interest in the 1936 Indian Chief. However, your comment regarding the availability of the "wasted-spark" set-up in 1935 is factually incorrect according to Indian expert Jerry Hatfield. "Sharing the 1936 models' headlines was the new standard battery-powered distributor ignition system for the twins, which replaced the wasted-spark setup of 1932-1934". (Hatfield, Jerry. Indian Chief Motorcycles 1922-53 (underline). 1st edition, Osceola, WI, Motorbooks International, 1997. Regarding the engine/frame numbers not "matching", is most likely due to the multiple layers of paint that are covering the poorly stamped last number on the frame. In the pictures I took, some look like a (9) while others look like a (0). The only way to truly decipher wether it's a (9) or a (0) is to scrape off the paint; which I am not willing do. Most people would agree that it would be next to impossible to find a "replacement" engine/frame that are only (9) digits away from each other. Either way, the engine and frame are period correct for 1936 as stated, and were found in "all original" condition by the Indian dealer. All serious bidders are more than welcome to inspect the bike for themselves. Good Luck and Happy Bidding!!!
                    Q: Hi, would you hold the bike with a $5000 deposit for 6 weeks? thank you Jul-24-12
                    A: Thank you for your interest in the 1936 Indian Chief. I have no problem "holding" the bike for the winning bidder to help coordinate the logistics of the pick-up. However, the winning bidder must understand that the deposit is non-refundable, due in 48 hours, with the complete payment due in (7) days. Please refer to the "Payment" tab in the auction. Good Luck and Happy Bidding!!!
                    Q: Is it possible that you would be interested in a barter? I am the owner of a jewelry store and have a collectable GIA certified Pink diamond that may be of interest to you. Please call me to review. I can be reached at 585/355-2607 Thank you, Tim Jul-24-12
                    A: Thank you for your interest in the 1936 Indian Chief. Sorry, I am not interested in any barter type transaction, as the winning bidder must either pay by cash, cashier's check, money order, or PayPal. However, you still have (6) days to sell your diamond. Good Luck and Happy Bidding!!!

Ask seller a question
                    AMCA #10930

Comment

It is definately the same bike. Does the seller say it is still in the Chicago area?

I don't think people would see it on the street with the "only driven 8 miles since 1993" comment.
                      AMCA #10930

Comment

Originally posted by Knotthed View Post
                        It is definately the same bike. Does the seller say it is still in the Chicago area?

I don't think people would see it on the street with the "only driven 8 miles since 1993" comment.
                        Knotthed ,thanks i am very glad you answerd this topic for me ,he is saying its in Ireland ,i do have a mobile phone number that i was given ,i would love to catch this ass-ole how can i get the cops involved ?any ideas Rob.

Comment

I'm not saying it's not in Ireland as it could be since it seemingly sold in July and could be almost anywhere except mars in a month and a half.

If they are asking near or less than $30,000 US dollars I would be very leary unless you could inspect it personally first.

I would say get ahold of your local police if you think you are getting scammed. They should be able to track the guys IP address etc... If they are willing to do it. I would not count on that here as it does not bring them any revenue, such as manning a radar gun does.

The pictures with a ultility bill and the bike seems like a good idea. Might also ask for a picture of a government id to see if it matches the bill.

If I have prevented you from getting scammed, that brings a smile to my face
                          AMCA #10930

Comment

D J Knott big big thanks if i ever get to states i will buy you a beer or 10 thanks Rob in Oz.

Comment

D J Knott just an up date ,i rang the closest police station to where this ass-ole lives and spoke to an officer ,gave the name of the scamer ,the officer had put him in jail before and has only been out for 1 month ,i gave him his bank details , address ,phone etc ,so its 9.30 am there ,the officer and seg are going to pay him a visit,these details are a statment and will be acted on yer yer ..Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X