No announcement yet.

Live coverage of the 2012 Cannonball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phil ! we must of bumped into each other and didn't even know it. If you were talking to Marcin from Poland, you were probably standing in my light! I was able to work with Josh Wilson on his 1929 101 scout #89 both nights in Anamosa and spirit lake. Then I was graciously invited to ride along with Josh and Steve Rinker to Spirit Lake. What an honor, privilege and humbling experience that was to be apart and get a glimpse to what the cannonballers do every day during the race. The fuel stops are a sight to see too. The ride started out beautiful but when the day heated up and the winds started to blow out of the south at 20-30 mph, it was a grueling and brutal ride. It was a direct crosswind for much of the day with little to no wind breaks. Only 3 times I can remember the wind to our backs which gave us a chance to relax and stretch our arms, legs and back a bit while on the bike until the next left hand turn west for more fun. That night I was beat and smelled like rich exhaust fumes and burnt oil from riding behind those Indian's. And I was grinning from ear to ear loving every minute of it.
    AMCA 26656

47EL
    47WL

Comment

Folks,

I keep getting reports by telephone whether I want them or not.

Shoulda called me months ago if they wanted me to help.....

This 'race' is making vintage motorcycles look bad.

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Mast View Post
        Lucille on his shirt too! She's awesome pretty. There is also a 27 Chief that looks real good, but some of the Hens are show material too.
        There's more than a few runnin rats, too, of course.
        If the 101's scored at the top I'd have to put an asterisk beside the score, on account of the 1941 top ends. just my opinion.
        You know Phil the more that I look at that photo the more I like it I even put it on my computer background screen it's giving me ideas for the 30 VL that I have been slacking on considering that I don't like olive green
        Chuck
        AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
          Folks,

....Cotten
          what? sometimes i think you hit your head to many times on the bottom of a dumpster
          rob ronky #10507
          www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Folks,

....Cotten
            I agree, yours is the first negative comment I've heard about the event, maybe you should just.......
            Louie
            FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
            Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
            YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Let me correct myself, Rob,

It is making vintage motorcycle enthusiasts look bad.

You can be sure that Cannonball Baker did his homework before he hit the road.

...Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

Bill Wood's Day 6 report is very informative and entertaining. That smaller bike class is certainly an interesting one. Not that the race between Brad (Ex) and Joe's Gray Ghost (H-D) at the top isn't a hot one. The number of Hendersons is also very impressive. I really like that photo of the trailer full of bikes. It has a very classic and perfect look to it. I too can't wait until we get to Sturgis, just having researched and written something about the first Sturgis rally and races in 1938. Sure are a lot of ghosts in this thing...
                Herbert Wagner
                AMCA 4634
                =======
                The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

I tell you, that Buck Carson with his single was impressive. I was riding with the 2 Indian scout 101's Josh Wilson #89 and Steve Rinker from Anamosa to Spirit Lake. And that little singe BSA must of pasted us 3 times even in the windy conditions. Josh said that Buck was fast on legs 2 and 3. He would have a bit of trouble with the hills but them made it up on the straight away. I was kidding Buck at one of the fuel stops about passing us all the time, and he said...."well maybe at the fuel stops." But not really, I know he pasted us at least 3 times.
                  Last edited by tomcat1; 09-13-2012, 03:41 PM.
                  AMCA 26656

47EL
                  47WL

Comment

Louie!

Let me put a more positive spin on it for you then:

Those who succeed certainly show their merit!

Those who stumble will certainly appreciate the magnatude of Cannonball Baker's feat, accomplished without a smartphone and nationwide overnight delivery service.

That alone makes it a success.

...Cotten
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Let me correct myself, Rob,

It is making vintage motorcycle enthusiasts look bad.

You can be sure that Cannonball Baker did his homework before he hit the road.

...Cotten
                      i hear you on that one. it looks like a lot of guys bought running bike thinking they could make it. if they failed on the road someone would grab parts from a 53 foot semi trailer to fix things. it's not at all strange that the top riders have the best knowledge of working veteran bikes. brad lives and works pre 20's bikes. joe we saw what he can do here in the forum. i'm sure they are not the only 2 in the bunch.
                      lucy and i had diner with dale stoner one of the henderson guys. he was re casting new cylinders at the time.the way he explained the process of making cylinders was so thorough that even lucy got it.
                      rob ronky #10507
                      www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

My friend Rich Corriea is riding his 25 Henderson Deluxe. He was ranked 11th concluding yesterday with full mileage. Not only did he restore his Henderson including practicing then doing the pinstripes, he made molds, poured the babbit bearings, and then proceeded to make a line boring fixture for his milling machine, THEN bored the lower end. All in his home basement shop.

He had a hickup on the road where he lost spark. A rubbing block in the mag fractured. He made one from a piece of wood, wired it in place, and finished the day. Then replaced with a spare he brought!

My hat is tipped to all 70 that got to the starting line.
                        Dan Margolien
                        Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
                        Www.yankeechapter.org
                        Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Those Hendersons must be a real gem to ride. Apparently once you're going you don't even need to use your hands!!!!

Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

What better support crew could one ask for if yer ridin' a 101???

Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Here's rewinding a couple of states....

Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Awesome stuff, thanks Cory!! I hope to meet a bunch of em next week. Riding out to Burns, Oregon to catch em on the road. If my modern HD will git me there :-), can't git enough of this stuff. Go Cannonballers !

Comment

Working...
                                X