Seat ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat ID

A friend of mine scored this at an auction in a tiny town in WI. He is into old pedal bikes, and the guy who sold it thought it was for a bicycle, but he knew it wasn't. Since it looked old he bought it and asked me for some help. Anyone have any ideas? The pictures really tell the story, but there is a winged looking design embossed on the side, with what looks like a banner with letters, but we can't make any of it out. I'm guessing teens or 20's, but no idea what it would go to. There is no patent date or brand name other than "Standard" stamped on the seat. Any insights would be appreciated.

2012-08-10_20-28-38_793.jpg2012-08-10_20-28-58_744.jpg2012-08-10_20-29-12_127.jpg2012-08-10_20-32-23_450.jpg

It's a Messinger brand seat, and I think it's a Standard #4. Messinger also made a #3, and a Cavalry model. I have the same frame on my Merkel. That's a nice seat, does your friend want to sell it?
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I'm pretty sure he intends to sell.. he kind of caught "American Picker" fever and started combing out of the way places and really small town auctions and estate sales for stuff. Part of the reason he showed me was to ID and maybe get a value. I would love to see it go to someone who will put it back on an antique beauty, I even think the leather could be saved and used as-is. Is that frame particular to a certain make/model of cycle? or it is useable on several different cycles?

Comment

Working...
      X