Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Bike Show in Vt. with Antique Class

Hi folks:

Putting in a quick plug here for the annual Wilkins HD (South Barre, Vermont) bike show which is on August 4, 2012.

For those that don't know the Wilkins Family, they have had a dealership since 1946 when Harry Wilkins returned from the Pacific (he was ground crew to the Enola Gay!) to his native Vermont and got a 1946 Knuckle to ride... and his own HD dealership to run. For years, he had thousands of vintage parts in jam jars in the original wood shop. His wife, Barbara, who helped start the business is still there every day!

Their annual bike show has an antique class that is really first rate. It's not AMCA-type points judging. It's all voted on by the attendees, so no pressure for perfection. Nice old well-ridden bikes are very popular and everyone has fun. Band, BBQ and a great time every year. I'll have the Knuckle down there this year and I know several more vintage bikes will show up.

If you want to register, it's free and online: http://emarketing.morethanrewards.co...s.php?id=137to

And if you want details on Wilkins (including a picture of Harry on his Knuckle) www.wilkinsharley.com

Enjoy and hope to see a bunch of folks there making the antique class this year the best ever! PM me if you have any questions!

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS: Not affiliated with them or benefitting from promoting the show. I just really want to see some other great antiques come out and have a great time!

Thanks to the folks who came out today!

We had 13 antique bikes at the show. The biggest class at the show! Most years, we only get about 3 bikes.

Lots of shovelheads, which is great to see. They are getting more respect, attention and TLC.

There were two VL's that were spectacular. But a late shovel police bike that was owned by a Border Patrol agent was, IMHO, utterly spectacular. One of the best restorations I have seen. He should have won the class, but people didn't recognize what they were looking at. The bike was just too much of a sleeper. My EL won second with a VL winning 1st and 3rd. IMHO, the '84 police bike should have been first and the VL's should have been 2 and 3. They were gorgeous, but I voted for the police bike (not even my own EL!)

Next year, let's bring out even more antiques!!!!

Of note there was a huge crowd. And everyone was about the antiques. The customs, paint, modern bikes were attracting lookers. The antiques were attracting huge crowds, lots of questions and interest.

Ride 'em, don't Hide 'em! Modern riders want to see your vintage iron! And I think that Vintage enthusiasts start out on modern bikes. Once they see our stuff, they can't help themselves but get interested. Help bring them over to the dark side by taking your bikes out! ;-)

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Working...
    X