USA visit by 3 Kiwis in October 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA visit by 3 Kiwis in October 2012

Two mates and I will be in the USA for about 3 weeks in October this year. Both my cobbers are American 4 cylinder motorcycle (Henderson, Ace) owners and both are very much into trucks both vintage and modern.
    We plan to take in a day or two at Hershey, Barber Festival, Nascar round at Talladaga, Wheels through Time Museum and possibly the National AMCA meet that is scheduled for Maggie Valley 1st to 3rd.
    We will be visiting Phoenix and LA on the way home but the main thrust of this post is to try and find out if there is anything or anyone we should visit while we are in these areas.
    As visitors it's all to easy to find out after the fact that just up the road there was this or that you should have seen but didn't know it was there at the time of your visit.
    Are there any truck collections or truck events in the areas we will be in?
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
    Thanking everybody in advance.
    Tommo
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Tommo: 3-4 days before Hershey starts is the AMCA meet at Jefferson PA, not very far from Hershey. The Sunday after Jefferson there is a steam engine, tractor, stationary engine show and flea market that is just finishing up but is easy to spend to spend a day there. It is close to York PA which is between Jefferson and Hershey. The Harley factory tour at the York factory is interesting as is the AACA museum just 1 mile north of Hershey and could take up most of Monday. It is now Tuesday and Hershey starts. There is probably lots more to see in the area but I haven't had time to look. Tom Wiolcock #381

Comment

Tommo

If I return in time from Cannonball I will be racing the Barber Festival, Century Race with a 1912 49" Belt Drive Twin Harley, A fresh build that will make its running debut at the AMCA meet in Wauseon Ohio this weekend.

It would be a pleasure to meet up with you. We usually pit just after the last corner entering the front straight away come look me up.

joe

Comment

Peter,
        If you decide you and your mates want to visit New York City you are more than welcome to stay at my home. We will also be at Jefferson, Pa., as so many other people on this forum will be there also and would love to see your smiling face and meet you in person.
        Bob L.
        AMCA #3149
        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Thanks fellas
          Tom that's the sort of thing I was hoping for so we can make the best use of our time and not do too much back-tracking.
          Bob if once things are put together and we do end up in New York we may just take you up on your offer.
          A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

this is near jefferson and hershey
            http://www.strasburgrailroad.com/
            this is not that far also
            http://www.macktrucks.com/default.aspx?pageid=40
            if the mac museum stinks this is a 1/2 hour away
            http://americaonwheels.org/
            if your driving north on rt 81 from maggie valley. stop in virginia's luray caveran the owner has collected a lot of 1900-1915 cars plus you get a tour of a cave
            http://luraycaverns.com/
            rob ronky #10507
            www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Bob and others we will be at Jefferson so hope to catch up with you all there. Any reccommendations as where to book accommodation for a couple of nights close by to the meet.
              We arrive Philadelphia either late in the day on the 3rd or midday on the 4th at wll get a rental car and drive to Jefferson.
              After Jefferson we intend doing the first day of Hershey and then driving south on the interstate as far as possible that night so we can visit Wheels Through Time on the way down to Birmingham.
              It looks to be about 550 miles to Maggie Valley so what we would like to know is what sort of speed can you average on the Interstate and are there any major hazzards driving at night.
              All 3 of us are experienced long haul truck drivers so the hours aren't the problem it the local knowledge we are lacking.
              Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.
              A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

How do you like your steak?
                Last edited by Robert Luland; 07-19-2012, 08:26 PM.
                AMCA #3149

Comment

it's about a 1000 kilometers to the valley from jefferson pa. rt 81 south. it's a nice drive. a little hilly. you can do 120 kph. it will take you about 10-10.5. you guys will be wiped out from your flight. the philly airport is 2.5 hours from jefferson.
                  rob ronky #10507

Comment

Bob, I don't know about the other two but I like mine rare.

Rob, I didn't know you'd gone metric over there, I'm old school and still work Imperial even though we went Metric years ago.
                    We've got a few days between Jefferson and Hershey to recover but it will be me that will be the lame duck. Getting over this stroke is taking time but the Doc has given me the ok to fly.
                    Graeme is a lot more used to flying and reckons it doesn't effect him so he'll be doing the driving first off.

Everybody, we really need some suggestions for accommodation around Jefferson
                    A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Peter, all the motels are in York PA are far as I know. It's about 10 miles from the meet. I will see what I can dig up. I know in the past people on this forum has stated which ones to avoid. Bob L
                      AMCA #3149

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo View Post
                        Bob, I don't know about the other two but I like mine rare.

Rob, I didn't know you'd gone metric over there, I'm old school and still work Imperial even though we went Metric years ago.
                        no metric here i had to google it.
                        rob ronky #10507

Comment

Working...
                        X