Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine sprocket nut removal help.

Hi all,
    Looking for ideas on how to remove the engine sprocket nut on a 61 Panhead. Currently has a pully for primary belt.

Thanks.
    tjk

Sounds like you need a impact wrench! Auto parts store sell both electric and air, make sure it does 260 ft/lb.

Comment

harley d sells a tool looks like a small set of steps it is soft and you jamb into chain and sprocket then you can loosen or tighten the nut air wrench ok but not for alternator shovels or newer . something soft but tough jambed between chain and sproket will hold things still so you can remove nut hope this will help paul g bergeron minot maine 7989

Comment

I'd go with the impact wrench. Remember the clutch hub nut is left hand threads while the sprocket nut is standard. Good luck, Fred.
        Fred Davis AMCA #9176

Comment

Thanks for the replys. The trans is removed and so I have to find a way to hold the belt pully. I tried to hold the pully with a big channel lock and rap a breaker bar with a hammer but no luck.
          I wanted to avoid using an impact because I was worried that might cause damage to the bearings.

Comment

The proper way is to make a jam bar cut from flat stock that will fit between the front and rear pully teeth to keep them both from turning. A piece of 1/4 inch
            thick by 1 inch wide for example, or that ever thickness will fit your pully teeth.

Comment

I'd still go with the impact. Striking your tools with a large steel hammer is generally not the best way to go. Some of these nuts can be difficult to remove, I've done some that were installed with red loctite and an impact tool, these require both an impact and heat to break loose. It will take much less effort to hold the sprocket while using an impact than holding against a breaker bar. You will not damage any bearings by loosening this nut. Good luck, Fred.
              Last edited by hogchild71; 07-09-2012, 09:51 AM.
              Fred Davis AMCA #9176

Comment

Got it loose. It took a big breaker bar, large channel locks, 4 hands, and no pounding.

Thanks everyone for your replys!!

tjk

Comment

I put an electric impact on the engine nut and spin it off as easy as you please..... It sounds like your way worked though....
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

An electric or air impact works great to get the motor pulley off. To torque it back on, I use this holder (if the picture loads) made from a large washer and a lenth of pipe from the scrap pile. Most motor pulleys have three tapped holes to screw bolts or studs into. Same idea as the clutch hub holder.

motor pulley holder.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by harley1 View Post
                      Thanks for the replys. The trans is removed and so I have to find a way to hold the belt pully. I tried to hold the pully with a big channel lock and rap a breaker bar with a hammer but no luck.
                      I wanted to avoid using an impact because I was worried that might cause damage to the bearings.
                      Glad you got it apart without incident, but you do know hitting it with a hammer, is impacting it! Good news is there's almost, almost no way to damage the bearing, unless it was a really big hammer! Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                      X