step spools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• step spools

redoing my step spools for my 37. what is different about these hubs? 1 hub was complete the other was empty, the small roller bearing retainer# 417-30 has a grove in bottom where the roller bearing sleeve #3963-35 rides/ is this retainer different than a non-step spool , parts book doesnt list / also is the #3963-35 roller bearing sleeve different than a non-step spool? I have other retainers [ bearing cage ] and they dont have the groove ,are these for non step spools? just want to get the second one together and working, but dont want parts that wont work together as I have to piece the second hub together and want to get the right parts. any one with any info on this? thanks

There is a difference in the 3963-35 sleeve between step and none step hubs. If I recall correctly the step hub sleeve is fractionally longer and if used in the later hub the wheel binds up when everything is tightened up ... Perry

Comment

The bearing cage is the same, the difference being the 40 and later hub uses a thrust washer behind the cage to keep the sleeve from wearing into the back of the cage as you discovered with your part. It is a good idea to update to the later set up. There are no early style bearing sleeves being reproduced so unless you have good used sleeves you will have to update. You cannot use your early sleeve with a thrust washer or you will not be able to assemble, as Perry said. Eastern Motorcycle Parts makes a good bearing sleeve. They do not sell retail so you will have to buy from an Eastern dealer. Kyle

Comment

sounds good ,so the hubs themselves are the same just the sleeve is different , correct ? thanks

Comment

No the hubs are not the same. Besides the step, the late hubs have a thrust washer pressed into the brake side. Early sleeves are reproduced by:
          http://www.45partsdepot.com/
          here's a direct link to the part:
          http://www.45partsdepot.com/45parts/...o.php?pid=2498
          They also reproduce complete step hubs (which were out of stock when I recently ordered) ... Perry

Comment

so lets see if I got this right, use a later sleeve with thrust washer and every thing is cool ?dont need this 3981-39 thrust collar ,

Comment

I don't claim to be a star hub assembly guru so can't really offer mix and match advise. My recommendation if you're trying to build a step hub would be to buy the original style sleeve and assemble in the stock manner ... Perry

Comment

I can't see any reason why a person would run the early set up as it was proven to be troublesome. Almost every star side cage I have seen in an early hub was badly worn where it contacted the sleeve. I looked at the hubs for my 39 which are apart for painting and found that one of them had the 43531-39 thrust collar on the drum side, the other did not. Running change in 39 maybe? The early hubs also had a thicker thrust washer (3966-35) fit to the outside of the drum side cage than the later ones (43558-39). I have not noticed any problems with the lack of a thrust washer on the drum side, however it would be possible to run two of the later washers, 43558-39, one inside and one out, and still have sufficient end play for the cage.

Comment

Working...
                X