Letters from the past.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letters from the past.

Hotter than blazes outside right now so I spent the last few hours in the compfort of AC doing some reading. Even though I have read these letters hundereds of times, I always find it fascinating. My great-uncle bought a 1929 Indian Chief from the Indian Shop in Des Monies IA in 1933 making payments until delivery in 1934 where as it was shipped via rail to centeral Minnesota. Unfortunatly I only have the corrisponding letters from the dealership but it is enough to put together the story of what he had to go through to buy a bike via mail order. I find it very interesting and thougth I would print a few snip-its for you to enjoy. Note: I have included all typos just as in the original letters.

Indian Motorcycle Shop
    622 East Grand Ave.
    Des Monies, IA

11/11/33

Dear Sir-

Received your regarding that 1929 74 Chief. I will give you and accruate and correct description that you can depend on and which would garuantee you against dissapointment.

This is a regulare 1929 Chief 74 that has had only one change and that was the instulation of heavier spokes in the front wheel. Of course this is an improvement. This machine was used in delivery service in town which is easy on the motor. It was never in a qreck, has no bends, kinks or weldings, not was it ever bent.

When I got this motor, it had a broken piston and had ever been rebored before. So put the motor thru the shop and completely rebuilt the motor by honing cylinders sna fitted one of the first oversized of pistions and rings. All newbearings where ever needed. Carburetere and magneto overhauled and checked over. This motor was always very fast. We haven't tried since rebuiilding as it would have to be broken in first. The motor was carefully cleaned and they cyclinders painted up black like the new models.

I put a new $3.50 spocket ib tghe rear wheel and overhauled that and installed new brak bands. The front wheel is in good order and the brake wroks about as good as these do when used.

Generator and wireing , ampmeters and all the electric equipment is in good order. We will put in either a good used battery and if we havent any of thema the time, we will install a new one.

The color is Indian red. Paint is only fair. Tires are Goodyears and are sound but the knobs are worn off now. Still a lot of war in the. Tubes are good.

Transmission was checked over at the time motor was overhauled. Will furnish instruction book and crate to ship by freight. Frt charges weould be on you. Will instruct you how to set up and operate.

While you plan would drsw out the time needed before we would get all the money, yet I believe in feiw of the time of the year etc. that we could accept you proposition. Which is as follows.
    Net cost $105.00. Payment $10.00 down and $10.00 a month untill paid for. Will crate and deliver the frt depot.

Yours,

Frederic Bootz
    20scout

Thanks for the snapshot into the past!!!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

29Scout....Thanks for posting that letter. When I saw the name Frederic Bootz, it kind of rang a bell. Years ago,I found an original mail out advertising flyer for the new single cylinder, Cleveland Motorcycle. Address was 121-123 Locust , Des Monies
      The flyer dates from about 1924, although "testimonials" on the flyer date back to 1920. Just a bit of trivia......Rod

Comment

Working...
      X