Harley Davidson, Historical Fashion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley Davidson, Historical Fashion

Not sure if anyone has seen this book, but for those who have a veign for the historical clothing of the early riders, here is something to take a look at:

http://www.surfingcowboys.com/habooffa19.html

Amazon has these used for 59 and change, otherwise they run new around 80 and the flea may have them for higher.

I have this book. Friend got it for me at the Museum and I think it is a first rate book!

So many of the HD books are just recycled pictures with drivel for text... and there are very few that both break genuine new ground and cover topics with an historians eye. This is one of them.

Well worth owning!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Cannonballer wanting period clothing for photo shoot and to wear the first and last day of the 2012 Cannonball. I would like to borrow, rent or possibly buy a 20’s or 30’s period motorcycling outfit. I wear a 44 long coat, 36 X 34 pant and 10 1/2 shoe size. It would be a miracle if I actually found clothing or boots that fit or close to it. If you have vintage clothing let’s talk! If you know someone with vintage clothing please forward this posting to them! Thanks, Steve, Rider 6 nine one three-4four9-one681

Comment

Steve, Contact the Harley Mueum to see what they have available. I just purchased clothing from them, one of the items were the HD gauntlet gloves. Ask what they have for the era your requesting and they will advise what they have to offer.

Have fun and good luck on your adventure!

Comment

QUOTE=SteveAdventure;122828]Cannonballer wanting period clothing for photo shoot and to wear the first and last day of the 2012 Cannonball. I would like to borrow, rent or possibly buy a 20’s or 30’s period motorcycling outfit. I wear a 44 long coat, 36 X 34 pant and 10 1/2 shoe size. It would be a miracle if I actually found clothing or boots that fit or close to it. If you have vintage clothing let’s talk! If you know someone with vintage clothing please forward this posting to them! Thanks, Steve, Rider 6 nine one three-4four9-one681[/QUOTE]

There was a guy at Rhinebeck that was specializing in period clothing. I didn't get his card, but someone will know him. I saw some really nice old racing/letter sweaters, too.

It's not hard to put an ensemble together. Lots of people are reproducing stuff now. And the book mentioned above is just perfect for getting your riding gear period.

Here's my 'outfit' from the last Pewter run on the '27. Mostly horse 'hacking' clothes... such as the tweed jacket with the button-up collar. Boots I had made in the boot souk in Dubai. Philippinos my feet measured, the boots designed, custom fit and sewn up in about an hour and they've worn like iron! Great stuff. I am taking the '46 this year to the pewter run. Already working on riding clothes for that.

Remember that during this period, dapper was the name of the game unless you were racing. Until the '60's lots of AMA clubs still required that you wear a tie! So for the '20s, ties, sports coats, scarves... you would do fine at a used clothing store, Orvis or LL Bean.

pewter 8.jpg[

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

My Gal Pal!
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

The only thing missing is a riding crop and some fuzzy handcuffs. Just 'sayin!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

I plan on starting and ending the Cannonball with vintage attire. I ordered a Nolan N20 Outlaw Helmet that I will wear when it’s above 60 degrees or so. It looks vintage but is DOT. In the mountains I’ll most likely wear my Nolan N104; it’s better in the snow!!

Comment

Show your early rider wear able collection if you have it.

After finally getting the book, and then biting the bullet ordering the Gasoline cowboy sweater as I made some extra dough on sales of other collectibles, I discovered the museum alos sells the original designed gauntlet gloves as well. Unfortunatley, these are made in China, but am happy to say the quality is there as they got the manufacture of these right. Not sure what else the museum offers but I've been told by staff they have to be careful what they sell so as not to compete with the dealers.

Seeing Rins book I realized my Buco leather helmet, early style European leather helmet and puttees my brother gave me decades ago are collectible MC wear.

When one relaizes that the gear was wron and used and worn until worn out, it is amazing that these things made so long ago have survived.

Srhrmechnaic, your outfitted well for the era!

Rub, that gal you have outfitted, is there a club name on the back of the blouse?

Comment

Don't forget two excellent books by AMCA members on female fashion. The American Motorcycle Girls 1900-1950 by Cris Sommer-Simmons, ISBN 9780981727059 and La Donna, La Moto, La Moda 1891-1945 by Aldo Carrer, ISBN 9788886955232. Both are full of period photos of bikes being ridden in the real world, not the studio.

Comment

Working...
                    X