Engine breakin with Synthetic oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine breakin with Synthetic oil

I have had great success with engine breakin using synthetic oil. I just do the normal warmup and cooldown as would be typical for a new setup, and hand torque the headbolts and cylinder base nuts a couple of times (just a good firm pull). My question is: are their others who have used synthetics, exclusively, like me? From breakin, on?

Jack

I guess you could. From what I understand -modern oil floats particles. No oil filter on machine means you dump and fill often. Maybe every 1000 miles? So I guess it gets a little more expensive after break in. And is not really required. I like Mobil synth.

Anyone up for an oil debate thread?

Comment

I have the components to make, what is called in the power industry where I work, a filter press. The heated oil (as in just took a ride) is circulated out of the tank into the filter press and back into the tank as a flush. It is left like this for a while, until the oil is clean of contaminents (water, fuel, soot, metal). With synthetics, you can keep your oil clean for quite some time. I have the same setup on my diesel truck. Two oil changes. One to change to synthetics, when it was new and low mileage. And, the other to change to a different weight for towing. 112K miles with just filter changes and oil analysis. Anyway, back on the subject: it would be easy to fabricate a temporary oil line connection on bikes that have a gear/scavenger return to use the same setup and let the bike do the filtering on a short trip, after the oil is hot enough to flow through the filter and not on bypass. Just my thoughts.

Jack

Comment

I'd be interested in seeing it installed. I'm one of those weird guys that will paint an oil filter black before I install it.

Comment

Working...
        X