Motorcycle Checkpoints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Checkpoints

The State Police in Orange County, NY, have lately been very active in setting up motorcycle only checkpoints. Apparently they've received a federal grant. Does anyone know if the same thing is happening in Duchess County, and will Rhinebeck be targeted?

The burg of Rhinebeck has a State police and a county police barracks and then there’s the locals. You figure it out? Bob L
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

lucy and i each got seat belt tickets leaving rhinebeck the first year.
      rob ronky #10507
      www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

A federal grant? I wonder what goes on in the minds of the people who think up this bull? Surely there's more productive things to spend peoples tax dollars on.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Nah, not in New York Cory don't worry about the bridges,roads and schools they will fix themselves. Besides they gotta leave enough money to vote themselves another raise
          Chuck
          AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
            lucy and i each got seat belt tickets leaving rhinebeck the first year.
            Rob, As soon as you start the truck your seat belt should be already in place...AND....the sholder harness is to be over your shoulder not under your arm.
            Chuck
            AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Larry, I have heard that they will be specificaly targeting non-DOT helmets and will NOT let you leave on your bike without an approved helmet. Funny thing is I have never had a DOT helmet until the week before Memorial Day. Got a DOT shorty from my friend. Nice one, good and light weight. On Memorial Day was riding my 58 pan and went thru Florida N.Y. on Rt 94 and lo and behold a roadblock. They had numerous bikes pulled over. I rode up with no paperwork, 2011 plate sticker on the reverse side of my 58 plate, a 1994 inspection sticker on the reverse side of the 58 plate. A trooper looked at me, looked at the bike, went around to the back of the bike, saw the barely readable 58 plate and said, "OK, have a nice day". There is no way he missed seeing the stickers or lack thereof. Go figure. Had my DOT helmet on. The bike was registered and insured, I forgot the paperwork and never put the new 2013 sticker on. It hasn't been inspected since 94. They never ran anything as I was not taken out of line.
              Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 06-04-2012, 05:43 AM.
              D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Brethern,
                There are some moves afoot by our ever vigilant AMA (ahem!) in Washington to have those motorcycle only checkpoints banned from any federal highway money handouts.

Probably have to go to the AMA website for the details on that,oh well,found that site : http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...gislation.aspx

Comment

We have those MC only checkpoints here in GA, they started last year after the state got $70,000. from the feds. They usually target people going south to FL during the bike weeks. Not that it's discrimination or anything......I'm sure they just really really really care about us bikers safety. I tell them that this is how Hitler started out and then call them Safety Nazi's........which really seems to tick them off for some reason.
                  Louie
                  FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                  Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                  YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

As a business owner one of my concerns everyday is sending my trucks out daily and having to deal with the DOT. Now I have to worry about my bikes on my time off? Government has got to big.

Comment

http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/al...94826&queueid=[capwiz:queue_id]

Comment

All,

The Virginia legislature just passed a law here making it illegal to have mc only check points. Guess they said screw the feds money. They also passed several other m/c related laws such as being able to ride two breast ( not that I plan to but nice to have the choice). They take effect July 1. They also passed some laws concerning guns such as removing the more than one gun per month limit.

Tom ( Rollo) Hardy
                        AMCA #12766

Comment

Originally posted by cube74 View Post
                          As a business owner one of my concerns everyday is sending my trucks out daily and having to deal with the DOT. Now I have to worry about my bikes on my time off? Government has got to big.
                          Government has gotten too big and there are too many overlapping agenices that are sucking the taxpayers dry. These cops that do the roadblocks should be out catching criminals.

Comment

Yea but then you have to house them.
                            AMCA #3149
                            http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

I'd thought that someone would have Duchess County inside information, such as WHERE and WHEN.

Comment

Working...
                              X