Newbie buyer seeks opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie buyer seeks opinions

I am considering the most important bike buy of my life. I've wanted a "U' family Harley for over 30 years.I've found a 1947 'U' model motor that does not have matching belly numbers housed in an early 50's Pan head frame with a 'correct 'Harley springer that has been chromed. All old parts, like someone had a '52 Pan with a blown motor and slipped in the old Flattie then added the chrome older springer. Done as an original bike but built from bits. Proper hand shift, rocker clutch and pogo seat. Motor has been overhauled end to end and has new aluminum heads. I do not intend to ever have the bike judged, i want it to ride both locally and at club Road Runs.$12K is the price. I need sincere comments from the folks who know much more about this than i. Help.
    bob wark, bike painter, sidecar rigger
    PS i have a 1940 BSA M20 that i ride regularly so you know i dig old and slow!

I say that if it fits your desire and your budget then you should consider it. A correct one would be twice that amount and as you say, for a rider it would be fine. If you add up the replacement cost of all the parts it would likely meet or exceed what is being asked. The non matching numbers are only an issue if they disturb you. They won't affect operation in the least. And a good running U would not be slow!
    JMHO
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie,
      The issue of value is the big one for me especially since we are in a new market since the big bust a few years ago. The price seems fair to me but i'm curious as to the thoughts of others.
      bobw

Comment

I agree with Robbie, if it satisfies you, then go for it. Robbie is also right on the price of an org one and the price of parts, hope this helps, Larry

Comment

Bob I always get a bit queasy when I hear the words "just overhauled". That can mean a lot of different things to different folks. Then it begs me to ask who overhauled it. Not everyone has the experience and the tools to do it properly.

On the surface it seems like a reasonable deal and it would be a great rider.

Jerry

Comment

Thank you so much for the input everyone. I am doing further snooping regarding the engine work and thus far i'm hearing good things. i'll report as things progress.
            Best Regards, bob wark and at the risk of getting yelled at you might enjoy my website warkshop.com

Comment

Working...
            X