Air Filter, 7" J-Slot - Adapter Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Filter, 7" J-Slot - Adapter Plate

I want to convert my air filter system over to the K&N . the problem is that the K&N filter is thicker. I have read posts on here about grinding the filter down so that it fits the cover, I have done this and it works ok.

Searching further I have discovered that there is a fellow named Geoff Ringle that makes an adapter plate for the J-slot air cleaner, to hold the element in place. I think the name of his business is Old Iron. He apparently has advertised in the AMCA mag. Does anyone have any contact information for Mr. Ringle, OR know of anyone else who maybe making these adapter plates?
    Bob Beatty
    AMCA 19209

I Believe Geoff Sold the rights to that Item To " Jerry Greer " He carries most of Geoff's Ideas Check him out for that.
    He should be at Oley
    Oz

Originally posted by NiteOwl View Post
    I want to convert my air filter system over to the K&N . the problem is that the K&N filter is thicker. I have read posts on here about grinding the filter down so that it fits the cover, I have done this and it works ok.

Searching further I have discovered that there is a fellow named Geoff Ringle that makes an adapter plate for the J-slot air cleaner, to hold the element in place. I think the name of his business is Old Iron. He apparently has advertised in the AMCA mag. Does anyone have any contact information for Mr. Ringle, OR know of anyone else who maybe making these adapter plates?

Comment

thanks OZ, I found his website and have posted a request, I will post back hee when I find out.
      Bob Beatty
      AMCA 19209

Comment

I did find the website and also the adapter item I was looking for. I decided to order it and have now attache the photos in-case anyone else is going down this road.

P1020773.jpgP1020774.jpgP1020775.jpgP1020776.jpgP1020777.jpg

The filter (now), does not need to be cut down as I did in the past. The filter is KN E-3180 I decided to order the filter as well as the J-Adapter plate. I must say its easily worth the $ as it's an excellent quality of workmanship and I would do it again and certainly recommend buying it if this is the direction you want to go.

The guys website is www.JerryGreersEngineering.com The part I ordered was JG-2922 (its actually for a 1952 - 53 Chief). It fits like a dream on my 42 EL
        Bob Beatty
        AMCA 19209

Comment

Bob, that looks like it worked pretty darn good. I may give it some consideration. Thanks for posting the photos! Ahhh.... ya gotta love those knucks!!!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Hi All, I just bought a K & N filter this week for my VL with 31M carb to use on long rides to keep the dust out. The filter is an RL-302B which comes with a 4 hole backing plate, the filter and the cover which is similar to a J slot except with screw attachment in the centre. If you go to the K & N website there is an illustration. I assume that the number is the same in Australia as it is in the States.

Comment

Yes. Thanks Cory. Weather sure has become co-operative, riddin is upon us northern folk.
              Bob Beatty
              AMCA 19209

Comment

I bought one of Geoff's air cleaner adaptor plates from him directly years ago. It looks a little different than yours. It doesn't have the white layer to center the filter. Instead, if I remember correctly, it has a couple of metal posts. It was difficult to put on the cover. I had to shave a little rubber material off the front surface of the filter, it was really tight. Its still kinda tight. Don't get me wrong, I like the product, maybe the filter is wrong. Although I bought it from him at the same time. I like K&N filters, I'd definitely buy it again.
                Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bobdo View Post
                  I bought one of Geoff's air cleaner adaptor plates from him directly years ago. It looks a little different than yours. It doesn't have the white layer to center the filter. Instead, if I remember correctly, it has a couple of metal posts. It was difficult to put on the cover. I had to shave a little rubber material off the front surface of the filter, it was really tight. Its still kinda tight. Don't get me wrong, I like the product, maybe the filter is wrong. Although I bought it from him at the same time. I like K&N filters, I'd definitely buy it again.
                  I have the same one Bob...and the same issues.

Comment

The white piece is just a piece of Teflon like they use in kitchen cutting boards. My fit is very snug, (no shaving for this one though), I have to grasp the entire filter cover with both hands and squeeze while turning.
                    Bob Beatty
                    AMCA 19209

Comment

I have to do the same thing, except its so tight I'm not sure I can get it on and off. Come to think of it, I haven't had it off since I first put it on.
                      I did replace a couple of the J-hook posts. But, the cover slides on easily without the filter. I'm assuming the K&N filter is the same. That tells me the metal posts on Geoff's plate was the problem & that's why they are now using the white plastic part. I'm glad NiteOwl started this thread. Now I know the problem & I'll see if I can modify it. I had thought it was the depth so I trimmed material off the face of the filter. Now I think the posts are keeping the cover from rotating. Now if I can just get it off.
                      Bob

Comment

This problem dosen't occur with the RL-302B where the cover attaches with a central screw so it just tightens down on the rubber edges of the filter making an airtight fit.

Comment

K&N's website search for part no. RL-302B comes up negative.
                          The rivets are available from Old Dude, BTW. They have a way of working loose and falling by the wayside, but Old Dude, Lilburn, Georgia, has um.
                          Gerry Lyons #607
                          http://www.37ul.com/
                          http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Let me know if you want any photots or measurements bobdo.
                            Bob Beatty
                            AMCA 19209

Comment

Thanks NiteOwl
                              It's fine for now. No big deal.
                              Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X