Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holders of NEW JERSEY HISTORIC Motorcycle "Q-Plates:" Come to Oley!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holders of NEW JERSEY HISTORIC Motorcycle "Q-Plates:" Come to Oley!

I'm puttin' out the call for any other holders of New Jersey Historic "Q-plates" to bring their bikes that wear the very distinctive "historic" license plates to Oley this year for a mini-reunion. That's most members of Seaboard and Colonial Chapters, AMCA, and anyone else from New Jersey with a Q-plate. Some of us kinda want to see how MANY of those "Historic" license plates for motorcycles that the Division of Motor Vehicles in Trenton has issued since they originally told us Seaboard founders in 1975 that:

1.) "It's the law, we don't issue 'historic' plates for motorcycles,' (1-26-1975) (Ms. Ann Conroy, "Principal Clerk")

And:

2.) "We are unable to issue historic vehicle license plates for motorcycles because the design will not fit in the small motorcycle plate," (1-23-1975). Then, we received a letter from her boss, Mr. Joseph Monaco, the Assistant Director of M.V.s :

3.) "We'd have to order special dies, which are quite expensive. We would have to have many more such requests to pay for just the cost of the die. In any case, the word "historic" would have to be so small on a motorcycle license plate that it would be illegible at any reasonable distance. I must reiterate, we do not intend to issue historic motorcycle plates." (2-26-1975) Then

4.) "It is not possible with the existing equipment used by the (Bureau of Prisons) to emboss that word on the small motorcycle license plate." (11-10-75)

Then, we Seaboard Chapter members (mechanics all!), put our heads together at the next Seaboard Chapter meeting and proposed ways to get around the size problem, and for the state to use the same 3/4-inch die for the word "Historic" used on full-sized car plates, on the 3 1/2 x 7-inch NJ bike plate. We drew up scale license plate proposals, and I sent them with another letter to Trenton. (They'd made me Chapter Secretary when we started Seaboard in December, 1974, for the stated purpose of getting Trenton to make the plates)

After all of the above run-around, Mr. Monaco, whom we'd been corresponding with and who had told us that a special die for motorcycle-only "historic" plates would be "prohibitively expensive," finally had to show our proposals to the Prison Industries people in charge of making all New Jersey license plates, and lo and behold:

5.) He wrote back: "The 'historic' die used for passenger automobile plates will not fit on the motorcycle plate. We would need to purchase a small die and several "Q" die sets... the cost would be about $326," and, "It would take more than 13 issuances to offset the cost of the die alone, and processing cost amounts to about $5 per issuance."
    and: "If you can substantiate a larger market, we would be willing to incur the expense of the special dies." (12-29-1975)

Well, I just picked up my telephone (yes, we had no internet, but we did have telephones, waaay back in 1975!) (They were incredibly archaic, crude, black things that you rented from Ma Bell by the month, were hard-wired right to your wall, and all you could do was talk on them!), and on January 2, 1976, I was able to send Mr. Monaco a list of 16 Seaboard members who requested 21 plates: Their names, addresses, years and makes of their bikes.

Permanent NJ Historic plates then cost only $25 "for life," and registered vehicles were exempt from N.J.'s draconian annual trip to a state-run "Inspection Station" every single year upon renewal of your regular plates, which were two of our main reasons for founding Seaboard Chapter in order to unite our voices to demand the plates, which were supposed to be for: "any resident of NJ who is the owner of a historic motor vehicle which is at least 25 years old and which is owned as a collector's item, and used solely for exhibition and educational purposes." (New Jersey Statutes, Annotated: 39:3-27.4)

That was just a telephone survey of the local Seaboard members who attended our regular meetings. Afterwards, I made up a little mail-back form to all New Jersey AMCA members, and by the end of January, 1976, we had requested 46 Historic plates for motorcycles.

In response to the first list of 21 motorcycles, I received another letter from Mr. Monaco in Trenton, dated January 9th, 1976: "I have instructed the (Bureau of Prisons) to purchase the dies necessary to manufacture historic motorcycle plates in the format depicted on the enclosed sketches."

We'd won! And the "prohibitively expensive die for the word 'historic'' that all of their argument was about, turned out to be nine-sixteenths, rather than three-quarters, of an inch tall. Obviously, it was so tiny as to be "illegible at any reasonable distance!"

All this was over 35 years ago, so I'm pretty sure that the folks we corresponded with are long-since retired from Trenton department of motor vehicles, and I know that some of my fellow founders of Seaboard Chapter and proud recipients of some of the other low-number "Q" plates are no longer agitating state motor vehicle authorities in this sphere. Ernie, Q2; Bob, Q3; and Cale, "Q7 & 99er," as we used to call him (he went back and got #99 for his BMW, later) have all passed from this life. And I'm sure there are probably others, too, among those who also drew from Ernie's hat that night for the numbers two through ten Q plates, after someone, I think it was Joe, motioned, got a second, & they voted that I get #1. I was truly humbled, and speechless.

But, whenever we got together after the victory (the first plates were issued in time for "The Bicentennial" celebration, in July, 1976), we used to call each other by our numbers, and at least Joe and I still do, on the phone and in correspondence.

Joe Burkel's
    Last edited by Sargehere; 04-05-2012, 03:45 AM.
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

What about Q 491, 492, 493, 494?
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
      What about Q 491, 492, 493, 494?
      Is that you, Hollywood? Well, we're asking everyone to bring um on out! Run whut ya brung! There are "thousands" that have been issued by New Jersey by this time, in at least three different color schemes. Bring um ALL out! Heh! We'll be looking for the newest, highest numbered plate, too.
      But now you know the story of how they came to be. The State of New Jersey Division of Motor Vehicles (the old name), or whatever they call it now, didn't just create them out of the kindness of their hearts.
      Last edited by Sargehere; 04-05-2012, 04:56 PM.
      Gerry Lyons #607

Comment

Yeah it's me...having lived in NJ for 33 years (no more!) I knew it wasn't outta the kindness of their hearts. It's great to know the story behind the Q.

Comment

I believe Al Cecchinni and Jack Weber fought the fight to allow year of manufacture plates in N.Y. on motorcycles at about the same time.
          D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.Bagin View Post
            I believe Al Cecchinni and Jack Weber fought the fight to allow year of manufacture plates in N.Y. on motorcycles at about the same time.
            I know that Jack Weber, then President of the Long Island Indian Club, was photographed being presented the first plate at Albany after fighting tooth and nail to have a bill passed in the legislature to force the NY motor vehicle authorities to issue Historical plates for motorcycles.

Attempts had been made before, but Jack was like a bulldog, never letting go after getting fired-up at a Harmony meet in, I think, 1988. He gathered up the support and was like a battering ram, assailing the motor vehicle people from all directions until he got satisfaction. His main opposition was a lifelong bureaucrat, used to administering license plates in NY DMV, who afterward was assigned to "other duties."
            Gerry Lyons #607

Comment

Working...
            X