Board-Track Builder Guidelines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Board-Track Builder Guidelines

There's been a lot of interest in the Board-Track class in vintage dirt-track racing, and a group of Board-Trackers led by Mike Lange has come up with a set of guidelines designed to help people who are looking to build a bike for competition.

You can find out more, and download the new guidelines, in the News area of the website. Here's a link to the story:

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/ind...t01returnid=97

Bill Wood

Very interesting, thanks Bill. I probably can't afford it, but that don't stop me from dreaming about it :-)

Comment

What Tom said!!!
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks to Michael and wlwood for this post. Just started putting my Harley 21J blanked off twin in a Keystone frame. It may never see the track use, but at least I have a good set of guidelines to build by, and keep it in the spirit of the class.
        David Morrill
        Sylacauga, AL. USA.
        AMCA #15284

Deadly Dave's Blog
        Sharing the Lost Stories of Early American Motorcycling.

http://dlmracing.blogspot.com/

1921 Harley-Davidson Model J Racer

It will break a hundred, if you drop it from a plane!

Comment

Thanks Bill For Posting The New Guidelines, I Would Like To Again Let People Know That If You Can Acquire A 1929 And Earlier Engine And You Are Handy In Your Shop You can Build One Of These Bikes For Alot Less Than You Can Build A Pan Or Knuckle. So Please Come Out And Have Some Fun And Experience The Great Past Of Motorcycle Racing! P.S. The Posted Phone Number In The Guide Lines Is Incorrect, Correct # Is 1-262-662-4432 Again Thanks, Michael Lange

Comment

Michael:

Thanks for the catch. I have updated the phone number in the story and in the downloadable guidelines.

Bill Wood

Comment

From the days of the board tracks, did any new track surface such as dirt become used in place of board tracks and then these tracks run with the same bike configuration as used for board tracks?

Comment

Here's historic film footage of bard track racing. Enjoy!
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp-9w...eature=related

Comment

Yes, They were racing on dirt horse tracks before 1910, as with any racing bike setup was pretty much per rider and track condition. But the bikes for the most part were the same as they ran on the boards. Some different chassis were used on half mile and mile tracks with twin engines and blanked off twin engines to run in the 30.50 class.
                  Michael Lange AMCA #1070

Comment

Ricmoran, have you ever had the chance to see these racers in action? I was at Davenport a few years back and it was the highlight for me. That Michael fellow can really tear up a track!!!
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Pull Start EX 002.jpgSpeaking of blanked off twins here is a shot of Gene Harper pull starting an Ex with a long piece of yellow nylon rope at Fremont. The concrete shook and ear drums were rattled when it fired.
                      Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

That belongs to member Toby Gossett. Gene oversaw, and performed much of the rebuild. That is a very historic piece that was one of only 2 built by Excelsior for Maldwyn Jones, and Paul Anderson. I've been aware of that bike for a number of years. A good friend in South Florida had most of the frame and tank but it had been raced and abused and had J model parts mixed in. Another friend had the motor and other frame parts in Texas. Toby eventually got the pile and has done a lot to pull it all together. Hopefully, Gene Harper can be coaxed into giving us the full run down on the build, and the history of this incredible racing Excelsior.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

After that teaser Eric, I hope Gene can fill us in!
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                          X