Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Indian Chief at auction in Canada....anyone checked THIS one out ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Indian Chief at auction in Canada....anyone checked THIS one out ?

I saw this on another forum as a "possible Million Dollar bike" ???
    http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/...ion-1400-miles
    They say it is a prototype number 1.
    Thought I would throw it out for everyone to see and comment on, please!
    Mike Ingalls

Battle Creek, Michigan

Mmmmm.... they are definitely drawing on a prototype hype. It would be interesting to see the serial numbers. I don't see any reason to suspect it to be a "possible Million Dollar bike". It's supposedly a low mileage '47 but it's not like that particular Chief is scarce. I really can't see it even being worth the opening amount. Offers of 300 thousand were refused!!!??? It could possibly fetch a little more than market but that's just one fella's opinion.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

And, as far as "only in the world," or whatever is claimed, I've closely inspected more than one "zero miles" late Chief, one, a '53, that I climbed into its box trailer to see.

Wouldn't be surprised if the sellers of this one are sorely disappointed at the results of its auction. Heh.

Speaking of auctions, I wait with bated breath to see what Jesse Clapsaddle's original paint 1928 401 Indian Four, and not-original sidecar, bring tomorrow, Feb. 12th, in Gettysburg, Pa.
      Gerry Lyons #607
      http://www.37ul.com/
      http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Last year on craigslist Vancouver, BC there were multiple ads run over several weeks or maybe even months for a '47 Indian with extremely low miles etc, etc, etc and from the photos it could be the same one. I can't specifically recall the asking price or even if there was a price in the ads. Some questions I would have:
        1) proto type of what????? a 1947 Indian???? I don't think they had to bother with that..
        2) what "papers" and documents? The papers will be available soon? What's the delay, do they have to wait for the ink to dry? Can't the auctioneer be more specific? Is there a title? Certificate of authenticity or ??
        3) I'm no expert on post war Chiefs but doesn't it appear to have more chrome than would have been stock?
        This just seems like a restored bike that someone is trying to pass off as an unrestored original.
        I realize the auctioneer must be a French speaker but couldn't they have had someone help out with the description? It kind of makes it seem like a fraud with the poor English. If I were to advertize a big ticket item in a French speaking area I would hire a good translator.
        It also seems kind of mean to send children with cancer to a "survival camp" in the Canadian wilderness. Aren't they already suffering enough?

Just my opinion.
        Mike Carver
        AMCA #3349

Comment

Mike,

I would have to agree with the "restored bike" theory. I'm not 100% sure about all the available options in 1947 but it does look like it's got a tad too much chrome. It also looks like the auction house primarily deals with art. Maybe they are just running with the story they've been fed?
          I guess I wasn't the only one to think twice on the mention of the "survival camp". I was a healthy young lad when I was subjected to a "survival camp". The bunkhouses were unheated and you woke up in the morning practically froze to death!!!! This was in Northern B.C. mind you. I think it tends to be a little warmer on eastern summer mornings. I guess it would be great for the unfortunate kids if that bike fetched huge bucks but I don't think the high bidder would ever get their money back.
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

i live for the day that an auction house will leave out the children and cancer.
            rob ronky #10507
            www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

According to Indian historians, the 1947 prototype Chief had handlebar tassles; however Indian marketing people discoverd that tassles did not improved sales so they were not included on production models. Also, Indian marketing people speculated that by the 1980's, fringy seats would be extremely poplular on post war Chiefs.
              Last edited by exeric; 02-12-2012, 08:25 AM.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

It's almost not even worth taking the time to make fun of. A typical urban legend "Elvis" bike. Do you really think a serious collector would have a bike with leather handlebar tassles?

Comment

Auction Bike / Jesse's 4

I had never heard of this motorcycle, so I took a look at the link and the picture, even enlarged the picture to see more. I can not believe anyone could believe this in an unrestored motorcycle, let alone a prototype. If you know anything about Indians you should be able to pick out over 100 things wrong with this older incorrect restoration that prove them wrong. Many of the crappy reproduction items that are on this motorcycle weren't even available till the 70's.

On another note, Jesse Clapsaddle's Indian 4 with sidecar is NOT original paint. That was possibly the first Indian 4 that I had a ride on 50+ years ago.

Robin Markey

Comment

Well gentlemen,

At least your fears of it falling over in the lush grass of the Pebble Beach concours can be allayed having been fitted with that big-foot 48 and later side stand.

Horn available under separate auction.
                    Cheerio,
                    Peter
                    1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                      According to Indian historians, the 1947 prototype Chief had handlebar tassles; however Indian marketing people discoverd that tassles did not improved sales so they were not included on production models. Also, Indian marketing people speculated that by the 1980's, fringy seats would be extremely poplular on post war Chiefs.
                      Ahhhh.... fringes and tassles. I recall wondering why the other kids needed them on their Sting-Rays..... I never did figure it out. Seeing some of these post war Chiefs dressed in drag seems to indicate that those "Indian marketing people" were on to something.

Originally posted by PRG View Post
                      Well gentlemen,

At least your fears of it falling over in the lush grass of the Pebble Beach concours can be allayed having been fitted with that big-foot 48 and later side stand.

Horn available under separate auction.
                      Peter, remember it's a "prototype". It was obviously so special that it was set aside to be an aftermarket parts tester for decades after! The documentation has to be a riot!
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by Robin--M View Post

On another note, Jesse Clapsaddle's Indian 4 with sidecar is NOT original paint. That was possibly the first Indian 4 that I had a ride on 50+ years ago.

Robin Markey
                        You oughta know, Robin! I haven't seen it for 20 years I've been down here. Back when I was with Seaboard Chapter I was impressed by it.
                        Gerry Lyons #607

Comment

By the way, Jesse Clapsaddle's '28 401 Four went for $57,000 today, in Gettysburg.
                          Gerry Lyons #607

Comment

.....I had hopes that this Thread would get everyone's blood pressure up , during the darkness of Winter. and it DID !
                            Great comments and observations. now.......about that Elvis bike.
                            [/I]
                            Mike Ingalls

Battle Creek, Michigan

Comment

Working...
                            X