Cylindar and head identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylindar and head identification

I've been trying to figure what cylindars go on a 51 FL. Now I also need to know about a 48 FL. And while I'm at it, the heads for both.
    I know the 48 has the wrong heads. All four are 119 50 and 119 501. The 48 has G 9 on ft and 4 0 on rear. 51 has E 6 0 ft and E 2 0 rear.
    What I'm wondering is what range of #'s and letters should be on each motor (heads and cylindars).
    Not sure where to post these questions.
    Kerry
    Kerry AMCA # 15911

As I understand it, the casting date for your 1951 (edit) heads would be May 6, 1950 on the front and May 2, 1950 rear. I would call that a set, only 4 days apart..!
    If the VIN is fairly low numbered, then a production date for the cylinders of May 1950 would seem reasonable for the early 1951 production models.
    This subject has been previously discussed at length, so I'm sure there may be differing opinions,
    Last edited by Rooster; 02-03-2012, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Those numbers were on the heads of each bike. The 51 IS an early production bike. The ft. cyl. is E 23-0. The rear I can't tell exactly what it is-looks to be F J0-0. Trying to send pictures.
      Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

Originally posted by kg993 View Post
          Those numbers were on the heads of each bike.
          Senility may be setting in. But I knew what you meant, and I still got it right...!

Comment

If you are trying to determine if the cylinders and heads are all original to the motor, I'd say you have a very promising possibilty there. That's great, and you're a lucky guy...!

Comment

Thanks, if the 50 heads and cyl. is right that's great. I still need a rear cyl. though. The rear has the casting on the base flange that looks like it was intended to be used to oil the top end by way of an external line. The motor was really rusted inside and the guy that took it apart broke the spigot driving the piston out. A resleeve will fix it and I have the 50 front to match it. I've asked many people about that design and what it might of came on but never had a knowledgeable reply. I would like to use them, I'm sure they would create a lot of conversation.
              I'll try to send pictures again,maybe they will work this time.
              Kerry
              Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

I think these pictures will work this time. The first one was on the 51, it has the casting for an outside oil line to be ran to the base. The other picture is a front that I've had for many years.
                The ft. has J 6-0 which I think means Sept. 6 1950.
                The rear looks like F J0-0 that has me confused. Any ideas? And what motors would these have been fitted on?
                Thanks, Kerry
                Attached Files
                Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

Here's a great thread! http://www.hydra-glide.com/phpBB3/vi...1948+cylinders
                  Bob L
                  AMCA #3149
                  http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

I thought I had searched the Pan-Flat Head site completely but never saw those 9 pages. Thanks for the link, 3 hours of reading and learned more than I have in the last 20 years I've been wondering about the subject.
                    So if I understand right no one can determine if a cyl. was made in 50,51,52 or 60,61,62 without looking at the return hole. 48 is stamped, 49 undetermined as of yet, and 63,64,65 will have the M/C casting.
                    Still want to know what the F J0-0 means (if that is what it really is).
                    Also think the set I've always thought were aftermarket may actually be oem 1948.
                    Thanks again, Kerry
                    Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

Only one of the 48 cylinders has the stamped looking markings, the other has no markings at all. I forget which cylinder is which with out looking. Jerry

Comment

Steve little Head Repair and Pan Parts 008.jpgSteve little Head Repair and Pan Parts 007.jpg49-50 cylinders are unique. The front only has the reccessed 48 marks. The castings are different in the oil return area on the left side on both the EL and FL. The Fl rears in the first picture show the difference at the area marked with the popsicle stick, heavy casting in that area, the later version has more fin surface. Very obvious in the second picture of EL front cylinders.
                        Last edited by koanes; 02-07-2012, 08:04 AM.
                        Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

koanes, I have an EL front cyl like your 2nd picture left side. It has small diameter fins about 6 1/8 max diameter, no #'s. That was a big help also, Thanks.
                          I'm still confused about the meaning of this F J0-0, so far I've never seen anything like it.
                          Attached Files
                          Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

The 'J' looks to me like an accident.... not part of the date code.
                            Merely speculation...

Comment

Perhaps the messed up J is really a messed up 1...

Comment

Working...
                              X