Wr Engine ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wr Engine ???

Hey Guys is the left CASE on a True Wr different from a Wl ??

Hello probably stamped wr. enjoy

Comment

WOW more good info provided by diesel55 , Thanks ...... Now maybe I should reword my question for the .... well you get the point .WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE AS FAIR AS MECHINICAL DIFFERENCES , IE ROLLER TO TAPER TO BALL BEARING ?? ARE THERE ANY MAJOR DIFFERENCES ASIDE FROM THE NUMBERS??

Comment

hello 51 fl,i imagine you have heard of that site the beauty of speed? www.beautyofspeed.com maybe they might havesome info on any differences,,,take care.

Comment

Gary , Thank you . I had heard about them and forgot ,im gonna email him and see what he's got to tell me . Thank you again

Comment

no prob! hope you find answers,if you do post em here if you would please im, curious myself now,,take care eh!

Comment

Hi, a WR is machined for the large roller bearing. That is the only difference. Besides the stamped numbers.. If you need a picture, let me know.

Comment

Please for pictures , that would be very helpful ...

Comment

here you go!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 46WL View Post
                    here you go!
                    them's balls

Comment

Originally posted by 46WL View Post
                      Hi, a WR is machined for the large roller bearing. That is the only difference. Besides the stamped numbers.. If you need a picture, let me know.
                      is the bolt pattern the same on the cases? they look different on the 2 lower ones opposite of the drain plug .
                      rob ronky #10507
                      www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

is the bolt pattern the same on the cases? they look different on the 2 lower ones opposite of the drain plug .
                        Rob,
                        They are the same. A WL left will bolt to a WR right. The right case is the one with the differences. Ball bearings for the cams and crank, along with a different platform for the mag as opposed to a generator. Different for the idler stud as well.
                        Robbie
                        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Rub is correct, any WL left case will match a WR right case and vise versa.

Basically here is what is specific about WR cases that I know:

1941 - 1949 WR
                          - Setup for ball bearings on crankshaft & cam shafts
                          - Special casting for alternate position of idler stud gear used to drive front mount magneto
                          - Generator cradle machined differently to accept front mount magneto (Edison Splitdorf front mount magneto)
                          There was also a run of cases that with 1948 casting dates that had a slightly different size ball bearing on the left side but I don't know why.

Mid 1949 to 1950 WR
                          - New thicker castings throughout for much stronger cases
                          - New specific casting for Wico front mount magneto (large flat platform)
                          - Special casting for alternate position of idler stud gear used to drive front mount magneto

1951 - 1952 WR
                          - Modification in left side casting between the two cylinders. It looks like they added some material to have an oil circuit to the cylinder bases / pistons squirts but they never did it.
                          - Thick type castings throughout for much stronger cases
                          - Specific castings for Wico front mount magneto (large flat platform)

This is all off the top of my head so I may have forgot some details or got mixed up in the dates but that's basically it.

!!! 46WL !!! Is that a 1949 left side WR case? If so I'm looking for one. I have other year WR cases (1946) for trade of other WR stuff. Let me know.

Eric
                          :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                          Eric MATHIEU @ Beauty of Speed
                          www.beautyofspeed.com
                          :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Comment

Well look at that Gary! You pointed things in the right direction and look at the info!!! Thanks for the WR lesson Eric!
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

!!! 46WL !!! Is that a 1949 left side WR case? If so I'm looking for one. I have other year WR cases (1946) for trade of other WR stuff. Let me know.

Eric[/QUOTE]

Hey Eric- It's a '48, but I need it for a project. I could use a chromoly frame, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X