spokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spokes

I am preparing a 1912 HD Belt drive twin for build and then competition in the 2012 Barber Motorsports Museum Century Race. While attempting to lace the rear wheel/hub assembly I determined the spokes for the rear wheel are incorrect in length.

By resources available to me I have concluded the 23 inch rear clincher rim uses a 3 cross 40 spoke lace pattern for 1912 twins. These wheels requires a 10 7/8" spoke measured from inside the hook to the end of the spoke with a .135 diameter rolled thread and swedge formed ends.

Now, does anyone have spokes of the above description available for sale or trade? I have been unable to locate these specific spokes and could use some help here.

This bike is being built with original paint and plated parts therefore the search is on for original spokes.

Joe

Joe,

I've got some .145" dia, by 10 7/8" long spoke blanks, with a somewhat crusty finish. need to be threaded. I may have the right size thread roller too. gimme a call if you think .145 dia will work.

Tom

Comment

Have you tried these folks?

http://www.buchananspokes.net/

Comment

11-1/8 for 4 -cross on 28 x 2-1/2 tire. (23" rim).
        10-5/8 for three cross, but 4 cross was orig.

Comment

11-1/8 for 4 -cross on 28 x 2-1/2 tire. (23" rim).

The above info was the direction I initially was working on. I was then re-directed to a three cross pattern and by way of the parts book's 10 7/8 claim it made sense to go three cross. To the best of my memory every 40 hole rim I have laced has had a four cross pattern. It may appear I am looking for the 11 1/8 plus a 1/32 set of spokes. The 145 diameter spokes will not fit the hub without drilling and I do not intend to drill the hub.

I am also looking for a .125 X .105 X 11 1/8 set of spokes to build a front wheel.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by rbc View Post

What he said.
            Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

I am building this bike with original nickel plated hubs, original paint wheels, fuel tanks, tool box, and other items. Original spokes would be a nice compliment. This build will be an authentic machine with a total of 16 years invested in chasing good original finish parts.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by rbc View Post

Yep, they only sell stainless steel spokes in this gage. They look horrible on an original bike.

Comment

Working...
                X