Generator Paper Shims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator Paper Shims

I am trying to locate a source for the paper shims used on H-D generators. Or, if someone has the specifications, could they please email them to me. I have posted this request at several forums, in hopes of at least getting the specifications. Thanks.

Jack

Colony makes a kit with both the metal shim and paper shim:
    http://www.colonymachine.com/39-lectrichrdw.html
    Colony doesn't sell direct to the public so you'll need to find a dealer. Retails for around $11. Looks like the shim is 3 1/8 by 2 1/8. The factory Knucklehead service manual lists the metal shim as .014 of an inch thick and the paper shims as .004 of an inch thick. The metal shim has a -45 part number and apparently is only used on OHV models with the later, larger OD, gear ... Perry

Comment

Thanks, Perry -

I found some listed at NOS Parts website. But, they probably won't respond until Monday. This is probably the repop that they have listed. Once I get my hands on some more, I will document and post the specs for others. Thanks, again.

Jack

Comment

we just cut out a piece from a Bud 12-pack container!

Comment

All -

Finally go my hands on some NOS generator shims. The paper shims measure as follows:

Length: 3-1/8“
          Width: 2-1/8“
          Thickness: 0.1520“
          Hole: 1/2“ (located in one corner, 11/16” from the narrow edge, 7/16“ from the long edge)

The metal shims are made of steel, and measure the same, except:

Thickness: 0.1158“

Jack

Comment

You sure about those thicknesses? .15 sounds more like corrugated cardboard than paper ... Perry

Comment

Perry -

Very sure. I have five of them, and they are very dry and old. I also think they are typical of NOS gasket material, as they are almost 1/32" smaller, lenght and width, than the 5 steel ones that I have. I was commenting to someone on another forum that I didn't remember them being this thick, when I (much yonger) could still get them at the dealers that had them. However, I never looked close, as I used them right away, knowing that I would always find them (yeah, right). I figure that once these are installed, and get some oil on them, they will compress. Then, again, I may save these, and make my own with modern gasket material. I can control the gear lash with the gasket thickness of my choosing.

Jack

Comment

Perry -

As sure as I was, I still couldn't read my notes. My notes are correct. As well as you. They are 0.01520" and 0.01158". Thanks for making me think. I did a copy/paste to two other boards. Got to go fix them.

Jack

Comment

Working...
                X