Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cory Othen's White Whale

Good Evening Guys

Hope everyone is doing well! I have something that I would like to share with you. A few days ago, I finally decided to join the AMCA and enjoy the benefits of your company here on the forum. Over the last few days I have had terrible fun chatting with you and I am quickly building new friends with a lot of you! Thank you for taking the time to reply to my sometimes stupid questions and your understanding that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. So... Very shortly after I said hello to everyone that saw my post, a fella named Cory Othen signaled a quick Hi! Cory quickly shot back a question in regards to a legendary motorcycle owned by a even more legendary ex-navy diver Hero named Andy Anderson. I wish I had known Mr. Anderson, but unfortunately he has moved on to higher places. I found Cory's story of Mr. Anderson incredibly interesting, for one reason, my best friend and room mate through US Coast Guard boot camp, and our first unit, USCG Cutter Durable @ St. Pete Florida was a Gulf Oil deep underwater welder. He later went on to USCG Rescue Diver school. Reported to be as tough as US Navy Seals BUDS training. I went on to USCG Training Center in Petaluma Ca for their Technologies and Communications School. (wuss..) Anyway, I quickly became very interested in Cory's quest to find out what happened to Andy's famed Warwick.
    Well..... I know what happened to it! And now.. so do you. Here are a couple pictures that you might find.. interesting

So there you go Cory! We have your White Whale!!

If you promise to come down to one of our Vintage Festival events I will personally give you a tour of our "secret" warehouse where Andy's bike has been since 2000. There's no tellin what we might get to see in there!

I'm really happy to share this with all of you. Special thanks to my boss Jeff for saying its ok to do so!

Hope you guys like what you see

Have a great evening, stay safe.

Denis
    Last edited by denismccarthy; 01-18-2012, 07:38 PM.
    J.Denis McCarthy Come visit The Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum
    www.barbermuseum.org

Fantastic! Thanks for posting that Denis!
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Denis! Wow!!!! That was some quick results!!! Thanks for taking the time to seek this machine out and post pics here for us! Before I forget, thanks to boss man Jeff too! I can't say when I'll be able to make it to Barber's but I sure appreciate the offer of a "tour"! It would be some kind of interesting to find out some of the history of this bike. Are you aware of any stories that may have came with it? Thanks again for uncovering it and sharing it here on the forum!
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Right on Denis, very cool post. Thanks for sharing, Ex puddle pirate myself - served six years and proud of it :-)

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
          Denis! Wow!!!! That was some quick results!!! Thanks for taking the time to seek this machine out and post pics here for us! Before I forget, thanks to boss man Jeff too! I can't say when I'll be able to make it to Barber's but I sure appreciate the offer of a "tour"! It would be some kind of interesting to find out some of the history of this bike. Are you aware of any stories that may have came with it? Thanks again for uncovering it and sharing it here on the forum!
          that's it 7 years asking anybody and everybody hay if you see the warwick take some photos. i guess you'll just need to be an indigo kid and stare at it.the bike will give up its stories.now what is the next sickel you seek young grasshopper?
          rob ronky #10507
          www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Denis
            is the block chain still on there or did Andy change it back to roller chain. I remember when he showed it at Harmony, there was a big story about how that was the first year for roller chain and it was correct but at Yankee he changed it to block chain. he was quite the character and always a pleasure to talk with.
            Kevin Valentine 13
            EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Are there any brakes? Clutch? Or do we just push start, jump on,jump off and run with it? ..Mike

Comment

Hey Denis, Thanks for the great pictures and bringing back some old memories. Does anyone remember Andy Anderson's business card? It read something like "Woolworths has a five and dime, Andy Anderson has a five and ten too. I met Andy many years ago, he always had a pocket full of pictures and really enjoyed sharing them.

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
                  that's it 7 years asking anybody and everybody hay if you see the warwick take some photos. i guess you'll just need to be an indigo kid and stare at it.the bike will give up its stories.now what is the next sickel you seek young grasshopper?
                  Ahhh.... yes. I think this was a lucky break as Denis has an "inside" track. If he hadn't shown up who knows when this bike would have surfaced? You do deserve some credit for trying though Rob.

O.K. so in order for the bike to "give up it's stories", do I go into some kind of trance or somethin'?

On to the the next bike... mmmm... I'd like to get a look at August "Blick" Wolters' 1924 Cyclone (single) powered Harley. But that's never gonna happen as he took it back to it's original configuration!!! Good thing there's a copy of "American Racer" on the bookshelf!

So I guess this is the only one I can think of at the moment....

Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Hey Kevin! Did Andy ever tell you a tale or two about the history of this bike?

Oh, and his business card can be seen here on post #14 http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...=Andy+Anderson
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Cory
                      unfortunatly he never said much about where the bike came from or the history of it. I did talk to the person who put it together for him from a pile of parts Andy had.
                      the bike that Denis pictured is definitly the bike that Andy brought to the meets
                      Last edited by kval; 01-20-2012, 07:39 AM.
                      Kevin Valentine 13
                      EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Thanks again Guys!

Kevin- I believe its a roller chain not a step block chain. I didn't really think about it but your right, that would be really early for that type of chain. I know the 1905 Indian I built had a block chain as does our other 1905 Indian Single that Brian Slark (The English Bloke in the video) built several years ago at the old museum. ...I think I have a picture of it somewere on my hard drive... I'll look. Anyway, does any one have any more details about when the roller chain came out?
                        www.barbermuseum.org

Comment

To Panacea

No brakes. No clutch. Only a throttle. Woot! The bikes were towed around the track as a group, the they were cut loose! It was incredibly dangerous. Lots of guys didn't make it. Sadly.
                          www.barbermuseum.org

Comment

Cory,

What was the story on that Harley you mentioned? We can jump off this thread and talk somewere else about it if you want... Or this is fine. Heck, I started it!
                            www.barbermuseum.org

Comment

Kevin

I ran my picture through Adobe Photoshop to blow up the chain area... Its a roller for sure. Look>

See ya
                              www.barbermuseum.org

Comment

Working...
                              X