Vegas Auctions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegas Auctions

After spending much time viewing the three different auction companies who were doing three different auctions basicly at the same time-heres my 2 cents!
    Bonhams auction was Thursday evening and they hit most items out of the park. Where they find the folks who spent that amount of money?
    Mid-America auctions seemed to be working hard at thier 3 day event as always, some bikes thru the roof, others flat, actually if I remember correctly most were flat.
    But, the biggest surprise to me was RM-Auctions America, they couldn't sell anything, and if I had a m/c consigned with them, I'd be pissed! Reason, they were pushing the bikes thru like crazy fast, and to me it looked like they weren't even trying or cared if they sold? And what the heck is the term, sold on a "if"? They couldn't get it done on the stage, so they leave the high bidder hanging until they work out what ever angles they can? I wasn't impressed!
    Curious how others saw it? I could go on, but that would be "my 3 cents'-BPK!!

Interesting about RM.... because they are really hitting it out of the park on car stuff these days. RM and Gooding are really the up-and-comers in the auction market. Christies is gone since Miles Morris left and Bonhams is 'old' auction house, but can be very staid and conservative. That said, they do bring out the big $.

The "If" means that the buyer and seller are close and, as you said, they can't close the deal on the stage. They will go into off-line negotiations and often the auction house will cut into their buyers/sellers premiums in order to bring the buyer/seller together. Sometimes items sell 'below' reserve, but the auction house knows they can make up the difference by lowering their commissions, and a sale with some commission is an inherent win for their pocket book and for their all-important 'sale percentages.'

I noted in Bonhams online that they were showing sale prices 'INCLUSIVE of buyers premium.' That's unusual, because they usually kind of down play that. The buyers premiums can be as high as 17 percent (on top of your bid price.) Add to that a sellers premium, which can be double digits. And no-sale premiums (reserve fees) that can be equal to the sellers premium of the amount reached on stage and there is a lot of money made by auction houses. Note that for sellers... everything is negotiable. Especially if you have a collection. "Anchor" collections can negotiate sellers fees down to a very small amount if the items will be draws.

Also, can't speak for mid-America and RM. But I always found the prices in the Bonhams catalogs to be low. Their estimates are almost always exceeded. Not just in Bikes, but in arms, watches, etc. This both makes the sellers feel like they got more than the expect... and it draws buyers in looking for a bargain.

It's an interesting game.

I've always contended that the best bikes (and cars and watches and guns) change hands quietly, with no fanfare on word of mouth and handshakes. The auctions (especially Barrett-Jackson) are the last refuge of the scoundral car/bike. If it's shiny pretty and looks good on a stage, it's gone w. high fever-pitched bidding price and 'no comebacks' against the seller. The good stuff, trades between gentlemen and enthusiasts on a handshake. Certainly, the best cars change hands that way. Probably true for the best bikes.

Just some random coffee-fueled ramblings. Back to my java.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

some auction houses get 22% if you bid online. and some will take 3% more if you use a credit card.auction houses have a lot of fees most folks don't know about.(photo, no sale, insurance, and online can all be added fees) i deal with auctions almost every day.and i cant say any thing nice about any of them.
      rob ronky #10507
      www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

I went to see two antique friends this weekend, tried calling two more. All were at the auction's in Vegas, seems like they are attracting allot of folks. Kind of sounded like, some are enjoying the gitogether too. Even though their not there to bid on anything, I was surprised.

Comment

I attended the LV auction last year (1st and last) and found it to be too Loud, too Overpriced, & too Pretentious, and not at all a representation of the sport and people that I have enjoied all these years.
          Hell, I enjoied the ride there and back better than attending having gone thru Joshua Tree and taken Route 66 turu Amboy and stopping off at the evaporative salt ponds in the Mojave!
          ....Never Again~
          Last edited by Tom McBride; 01-16-2012, 12:44 AM.
          AMCA #6151

Comment

Meanwhile in Gettysburg... http://www.reddingauction.com/
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by Tom McBride View Post
              I attended the LV auction last year (1st and last) and found it to be too Loud, too Overpriced, & too
              Tom, Maybe you are getting too old? Seriously though, it's not for everyone. It's a show, but also a place where you get to see lots of neat stuff in one place. If your expectations are that it's going to be an atmosphere like a swap meet, you'll walk away disappointed. If your expectations are to see some cool stuff, then it may be for you. It is what you make it.

Comment

I have been to the Mid America auction last year and the year before...sold 3 bikes the 1st time and 6 bikes the 2nd time.. all sold at or above reserve's ,but this year AMA Supercross was in our home town on the same weekend.....I'm a MX'r at heart so... sorry can't miss it...1 modern race a year is all I go to and it's Phx....they moved the weekend to put them selfs inline with the Barrett Jackson auto auction in Scottsdale,Az. this weekend for the oversea bidders........oh well...see about next year...but I must say that it is very well run (the M/A auction) it's not a swap meet.....what it is a great place to take the wife or your best friend and look at a wonderful assortment of machines under 3 roofs! and not only that I have seen friend sI have lost contact with for over 20 years there also......70's bumper sticker...."Different Stokes for Different Folks" I wish I have a clone..he would have been in Vegas Dave Boydstun

Comment

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
                  Tom, Maybe you are getting too old? Seriously though, it's not for everyone. It's a show, but also a place where you get to see lots of neat stuff in one place. If your expectations are that it's going to be an atmosphere like a swap meet, you'll walk away disappointed. If your expectations are to see some cool stuff, then it may be for you. It is what you make it.
                  Point taken. ;-)
                  AMCA #6151

Comment

I don't understand having auctions on Thursday. Most folks get there on Friday.
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I don't understand having auctions on Thursday. Most folks get there on Friday.
                      If you are getting there on Friday you cannot afford the Thursday auction so they don't care!!
                      Robbie
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

the big money was spent on thursday...? why the others didn't do so well.....most collectors are retired so whats wrong with thursday..early bird catches the rare bikes..maybe who will have a auction next year on wednesday...? you heard it 1st here..LOL

Comment

Howdy chaps,

Would appear logical to correlate tha amount of action on Thursday to the annoying trend of AMCA meets ever earlier non-official start times. and feverish swap meet action, to this multi-auction event but it's a different set of circumstances. Heavyweight collection (DuPont), in aesthetic poor condition for the most part (implying possibly cheaper prices) and listed at very low estimates giving the impression one might be able to swoop in for killer deals like they were at a rural estate auction.

This auction was well publicized well in advance. Some came from very far (England) intent on bidding on a single machine only to find themselves among many equally well informed bidders thereafter requiring more gusto to deliver the knockout. Bonhams was good at sensing these matchups and milked them as much as possible. Not the case at the others were consignments were herded across the stage too quickly. A costly situation for horror stricken owners forced to buy their no reserve machines back themselves in some cases.

Don't follow pre-70 Triumph Bonneville prices much but by marque, these were absolute deals in a current market where they are stable and strong.
                          Last edited by PRG; 01-19-2012, 09:26 AM.
                          Cheerio,
                          Peter
                          1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

A costly situation for horror stricken owners forced to buy their no reserve machines back themselves in some cases.

Why would an owner be forced to buy thier own machine? They own it, not the auction company. If it doesn't sell they take it home.
                            Be sure to visit;
                            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

PRG stated,
                              A costly situation for horror stricken owners forced to buy their no reserve machines back themselves in some cases.
                              Chris Haynes replied,
                              Why would an owner be forced to buy thier own machine? They own it, not the auction company. If it doesn't sell they take it home.
                              Basically because on a no-reserve auction and with a sell agreement signed with the auction company and them holding the title, if the bidding never takes off you are forced to accept what it got to or buy it yourself. At that moment in time it is no longer yours if you entered into an agreement with them, it is theirs! So fair warning, don't sell at auction without a reserve or take your chances!
                              Robbie
                              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                              X