Wanna Armchair A Boardtracker???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna Armchair A Boardtracker???

I see that Matt Walksler put a rider's perspective up on YouTube. What a rush it must be piloting those rigs around the track!!! The action starts at 2:05 if your not a patient person.... Mike Lange crosses the line in front and Dave Kafton demonstrates good sportsmanship.... Very cool stuff!!!

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Thrilling stuff, Cory.
    Some years ago I asked Bobby Hill if the Indian Scouts of today were going as fast as he did in his prime. He told me that the George Bros were getting more speed and better times than he got, presumably in the early 50's.
    I have enjoyed the magazine's interview stories with old racers. The board trackers make me want to ask, if Jim Davis were still around, what would he say now? Didn't we also have a story on Don Johns? If my memory's reliable, in the Johns story he talked of gunning the cyclone around the track with an all-or-nothing carburetor and a kill switch. How wild does that sound?

Comment

Cory, thanks for the link. My arms are sore!

Comment

That is so cool ! thanks Cory.

Comment

Sensational!~
          AMCA #6151

Comment

I'm glad you fellas dug the video as much as I did. I think this camera angle deal from the riders perspective is really cool.

Phil! I believe that Jim Davis would approve! He lived long enough to see folks paying homage to his racing days and was apparently an awesome story teller. I envy those who got to know him. As far as Don Johns goes... he was one of the best, at least in the dirt anyway. A lot of the race machines were set up to run wide open. The ported machines were so volatile that they would only run that way! An iginition cut out was on the handlebar and retarding spark could be used as well to slow things down but that had to be done carefully or risk overheating the engine! Johns didn't use any of it. It was wide open all the time!!! He was hard on bikes and they often fell apart around him. Other racers could find themselves leaving the track with a back hand or elbow as well if they crowded him too much!!! The Cyclone looked to be up to the task of handling his wild riding antics but even the great yellow machine from Minnesota couldn't hold up in the end. I too enjoy the interviews with the old racers. I wonder if those guys knew that a hundred years later that people would be so interested in what they did? The folks that race in Wauseon and Davenport go a long way to keeping that window to the past open.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

I was lucky enough to meet Jim Davis, I think he was 97 at the time. I was amazed, he was still very sharp mentally and he was very good with tales of the glory days. His memories seemed very sharp and he spun a good tale. Both he and Maldwyn Jones tell of those days in the great video/cd Glory Days, but to see him in person was quite the thrill. I also got to meet the Indian wrecking crew of the 50's and got all their autographs at the same time. That was a good day! If you don't have that video - git it, you will love it :-)

Comment

You are a lucky fellow Tom! That must have been something to listen to tales of days gone by from the horse's mouth! I have a copy of Glory Days and dig it out at least on a yearly basis for a re-run!!! Maldwyn Jones has some great stories.
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Just got DSL high speed, I have had dial up all these years. That video was bad ass!!! They haul ass, I was amazed watching that. Looked to me like Matt Walksler was flying and I saw a couple guys pull away. My gosh their really making those old machines fly and I thought some darn good riding - well done!! thanks again for posting Cory.

Comment

I think you'll find yourself wondering why it took you so long to update Tom That video was a thrill, and I agree, there is some "darn good riding"! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                    X