Different cases on this HD motor???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different cases on this HD motor???

Looks like an HD left case, but trying to identify the right side case. Hard to tell by the picture but case halfs don't seem to match behind rear cyl. Heads are STD, could the right case be STD also? Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Hard to tell from your photo. But from what I have observed, the cases are rarely even at the top behind the rear cylinder at the rear motor mount bolt area. That in and of itself is not an indication that either side is aftermarket. If it is an FLH, there is usually a "7" stamped on both cases there. Perhaps someone with more experience with aftermarket cases can shed additional light.
    Lonnie Campbell #9908
    South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

If it is an FLH, there is usually a "7" stamped on both cases there.
      Lonnie,
      If it is an FLH it should have an H stamped there. If it is an FL it should have a 7 on it (pre '55 models), or nothing if it is an EL.
      And due to the castings being done individually, they will never quite match in that area.
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks for your replys Lonnie and Robbie. Give's me something to look for.

Tim.

Comment

Robbie is absolutely correct, I was thinking about the difference in the early EL's, which have no stamping in that area, and the early FL's, which have the "7". Good luck with your decision.
          Lonnie Campbell #9908
          South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Working...
          X