Pictures from Eustis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures from Eustis

Check out a couple of hundred cool pictures from the Sunshine Chapter's Winter Meet in Eustis Florida last weekend, posted on the Everglades Chapter website. Just type in the phrase AMCA Everglades Chapter in your search engine. Hats off to our chapter board member Mike Pruszynski (did I spell that right?) for setting up our great web site!

Roy

Roy, I just looked at all of those Eustis pics and was very impressed. What a nice web site you have. I am leaving for FL tomorrow (FRI 3/5) and was very sorry I couldn't come down for the Eustis meet last weekend. But at least I got to see all of those beautiful antiques on the Everglades chapter web site.
    By the way, is there any place in FL I can go to see some old bikes?

Howard

Comment

Come See Us!

Howard:

Nothing like a visitor from outside Florida to get me to take a day off from work and take a ride on an old cycle. Where will you be in Florida? If you are anywhere near Miami, I will find you a ride and ride along with you to scout out some antique bikes. If you are in another part of the state, tell me where and I will hook you up with other members of the Everglades Chapter. We look forward to your visit. You missed a great meet in Eustis, but better late than never!

Roy (a/k/a Nightrider)

Comment

pictures

Roy
        How about a link to these pictures. The only thing my search found was your original post. Like I have said many times "I'm just a dumb old Hillbilly"

Dennis Rousseau on Rocky Top

Comment

I'm always thankful when Jeff Alperin shoots and posts some photos. Great job Jeff! Da link.
          http://www.alperin.net/AMCA_Eustis_2004/index.htm

Roy -why don't you put a photo of Cannonball Baker in FL on the front page of your web site? The posed Hollister CA photo?

Here- I found a great photo of a small displacement machine hard at work. Motorcycles have many uses.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Roy for the most kind invitation. I'll be in Clearwater, a rather long way from Miami. And I'll be with four other people; all who have minds of their own. If possible I'll give you a call. I presume you are in the AMCA directory.
            I also fly gliders and will probably bring my glider down to Seminole Lake Gliderport some day; I've done that before. It's located about 25 mi west of Disney. That would be a more leisurely trip with more time. In any case I look forward to meeting you one of these days.

thanks
            Howard

Comment

Everglades Web site

In response to the question "why don't you put a photo of Cannonball Baker in FL on the front page of your web site? The posed Hollister CA photo?" Please allow me to explain why I chose this photo.... I like it! Pure & simple that photo to me sums up the atmosphere of Bike week. If I had a photo like that of Roy I would have used it instead, but I don't. Roy doesn't party like that anymore. If you have a photo of Cannonball half in the bag email it to me. I would love to display it.

Mike
              Webmaster Everglades Chapter
              http://amca_southflorida.tripod.com/

Comment

Mike, So you realize that the guy in the photo is not "three sheets to the wind". It was set up by the photographer to sensationalize an event for the media and public. Because he couldn't find what he wanted - he created the image. It went on the wire and everyone picked it up. incl. LIFE magazine. So he made some money and the good times that people were having came to an end with the crack down that followed due to public outrage. In effect, the beginning of the end.

So for me personally that photo has alot of negative conitations attached to it. It represents an image that is false. Not entirerly, but factually false. Gil Aramas is an original Booze Fighter. I rode with him once. Great guy. Look forward to doing it again.

I'm also kinda curious as to why you would want a photo of what appears to be a drunken motorcyclist representing your chapter? Most of our members have moved on from those days.

I will find you a number of excellent Florida specific antique motorcycle photos.
                Yes, cool ones.

People - This is an open call!

Comment

Mike, So you realize that the guy in the photo is not "three sheets to the wind". It was set up by the photographer to sensationalize an event for the media and public. Because he couldn't find what he wanted - he created the image. It went on the wire and everyone picked it up. incl. LIFE magazine. So he made some money and the good times that people were having came to an end with the crack down that followed due to public outrage. In effect, the beginning of the end.

So for me personally that photo has alot of negative conitations attached to it. It represents an image that is false. Not entirerly, but factually false. Gil Aramas is an original Booze Fighter. I rode with him once. Great guy. Look forward to doing it again.

I'm also kinda curious as to why you would want a photo of what appears to be a drunken motorcyclist representing your chapter? Most of our members have moved on from those days.

I will find you a number of excellent Florida specific antique motorcycle photos.
                  Yes, cool ones.

People - This is an open call!

Comment

Great Web Site, Mike!

As president of the Everglades Chapter, I want to congratulate Mike Pruszynski on a super web site. As far as the Hollister pose, my take is that our club is made up mostly of experienced and fairly sophisticated motorcycle enthusiasts, who understand that the picture is not a literal interpretation of our image. It does not seem likely that the general public will be browsing our site and misunderstand what they are seeing. There are lots of nice antique bikes on the site, including Mike's beautiful BSA. Keep up the good work, Mike!

Roy

Comment

I find it interesting that this photo would cause this much distress. Yes, I'm very aware of this photographs history (much thanks to my studies at Southeast Center for Photographic Studies in Daytona) I find much humor in this photo. It plays on the idea of what most lay people think a "Biker" character would look and act like. In reality 1/3 of "Bikers" make over $80,000.00 a year. This doesn't stop them from wearing black leather, growing a 3 day old beard and trying to look the "part". I myself ride a British bike and wear a Cromwell helmet and dress like a mod from the sixies.
                      So I guess my point is we all like to ride, for some of us (those who ride old bikes) like to think we some how can be transported back to that time or for just a weekend we get to be "bad boys".
                      It's only fantasy and a 50+ year old staged photograph.

Mike
                      (perpetuator of the myth)

Comment

OK- OK, I see where your coming from.
                        Florida has some great history. I'll dig it up.

The site does look good. Good job Mike.

Comment

Working...
                        X