Davenport newsletter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ken,

Unfortunately I do not live close enough to attend your meetings but would like to join your chapter to show my support. I have looked over your web site several times but do not see any application forms to join. Who should I contact?

Ed
    Ed Glasgow
    # 2053
    http://www.edsindianbolts.com/

Comment

I find it interesting that the people that come here to bitch about the AMCA never come here to talk about old motorcycles. It reminds me of college in the early 70's. Some people went to get an education, and some people went to tear it down in protest to Viet Nam. I see the same logic.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

My sincere apology to you, Mr. Smith. I was unaware of the 'rules,' as you define them.

I typically prefer to talk with people face to face about my old motorcycles, and those of others. Somehow, I mistakenly thought that being an active member in a vibrant club that puts on one of the larger swap meets in the country would allow me to discuss issues involving the AMCA interfering with our clubs operation.

I joined the CBC & AMCA specifically to help my friends continue to put on this meet. I'd be happy to discuss how you choose to volunteer your time to the organizations & events that are specifically targeted to gather people that like to show, discuss, & swap old motorcycles and their parts. These things don't happen on their own.

By the way, Mr. Smith, have you happen to read our CBC September/October newsletter, where an estimate of how much volunteer time it takes, at a minimum, to put on our Davenport meet? I'd encourage you to please do so. We also would welcome you to volunteer your time by signing up for a 'shift' to work one of the gates, or another of our many, mundane tasks that we, as CBC members must perform for our meet to continue seamlessly.

I look forward to our constructive discussions on the details & politics of governing the clubs that allow us to be able to discuss old motorcycles, Mr. Smith. I welcome your suggestions & input. It is an important component of what we do, in my opinion. This is a club run by members, for the members, correct?

Regards,
        Ken Welty

Comment

More power to you Mr. Welty. I used to attend the Davenport meet years ago and I was always impressed by the hospitality, size, variety, and atmosphere of the venue. I guess it's bigger, with even more variety today but it sure sounds like the atmosphere and hospitality have changed. I don't go anymore because I simply cannot afford it. . . You know; that pesky recession and all. When I do go to a meet, I vend. You don't have a meet without vendors, so that is what I do at the meets Mr. Welty.

I will admit that I have an attitude (as do you). Obviously we are passionate about our points of view and I don't see either of us having an epiphany for the other's arguement. So; we can agree to disagree, or we can continue to exchange barbs. I would prefer the former to the later.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Eric, you wrote "You don't have a meet without vendors, so that is what I do at the meets" Yes vendors are an important segment of a meet but the meets just don't happen on their own. volunteers give many hours of their time to make a meet happen. There are many aspects to a meet besides vending ie. field games, seminars, knowledge exchange, banquet, and judging to name a few. Behind the scenes are hours of coordinating with a fairgrounds, security, and volunteers etc. I encourage everyone to be active in a chapter especially if there is a National Meet in your backyard.

Comment

Duly noted.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
              X