Motorcycle transport???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle transport???

What companys would you recomend to transport a cycle? I know this has been discussed not to long ago but I could not find the thread. Just need a few companys to check some prices and available shipping times.

Thanks

I've had the folks at 888 haulbikes (Daily Direct) move both antique and modern bikes from coast to coast... so often, I have a frequent flier card. I've found them to be highly professional... the bikes get there perfect. The haulers are generally enthusiastic riders themselves. And the company customer service has been first rate. Earliest bike I shipped with them was a '27. And they move my modern bikes around when I want to do long tours out West, etc. The trucks are modern and bikes are held in very secure manner. Short of the driver rolling the truck, your bike will be safe.

FYI, if you can receive your bike at a local dealer (and have it picked up there) it saves you substantially. It doesn't have to be an HD dealer for an HD bike... any dealer who has parking lot, storage, etc. Makes life VERY easy for the drivers vs. trying to drive a semi into 1600 Switchback Hill Cliff Rd.... Some dealers charge a small 'receiving' fee. But I've found most dealers are happy to help you out w. a vintage bike. And if you tip the shop guys who store it... so much the better.

I am sure there are other haulers... but my experience w. them has been great.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Thanks Sirhrmechanic. I heard of a Keyboard Cycle Transport but don't know anything about them.

Comment

I have found used FEDERAL , they have specific experience with motorcycles, their rates are decent and they offer reasonable charges for insurance. http://www.funtransport.com/
        Bob Beatty
        AMCA 19209

Comment

Ditto on 888 haulbikes. Federal ships in moving vans full of furniture.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I've had good luck with Allied. Though we think of Allied as being a "moving van" company, transporting household furnishings, they have a division Allied Special Services which transports everything from copiers to X-ray machines to motorcycles. It is a distinct operation from the furniture moving business.
            I've heard great things about Keyboard, the problem I had was that they do not pick up in certain areas of the country very frequently. When I asked them about picking up a bike in the Northwest, they told me they had just picked up bikes in that area and it would be another month or so. Didn't want to wait that long.
            Lonnie Campbell #9908
            South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

I've used Federal/allied several times. Always had great service. And every truck that came or went had purely motorcycles in it, no furniture to be seen.
              Robbie
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I have used Daily Direct and Allied Federal along with some other company whose name I forget. In my opinion Allied is my choice. Contrary to what Chris says they move motorcycles in motorcycle only trailers and shipments. It is a specialized division of the company. Allied will give you a firm delivery date whereas the rest give approximate time which can vary widely. They are competatively priced and track where your bike is the whole time. I have had a dozen or so bikes shipped and from coast to coast and eveywhere in between. Allied divides the country in 3rd's and has pick up and delivery on a weekly basis in all 3 zones. Allied drops trailers at depot which are then picked up to continue on to each coast or in between. They tighly coordinate the trailers so the don't sit waiting to get moving. Daily Direct has 2 trucks and they go all over the country picking up and dropping off as they go. The last time I had a bike delivered from California to the East Coast it took 3 weeks with Allied. I had a bike delivered from Michigan to the East Coast by Daily Direct it took 6 weeks.
                Use a reputable carrier who is experienced in moving bikes and has the facilities and equipment to do so. There are a lot of fly by night operators out there.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                AMCA # 12766

Comment

Just used Allied Federal to ship a bike from the mid-west to the east coast and very pleased with there service. Good communications and on time with no additional fuel surcharge. Will use them again if the need arises.
                  20scout

Comment

I've used Allied/Federal Companies(800-747-4100, ext.2219) probably 50+- times with only 2 issues, and both issues were handled professionally and made right.. If a high dollar move, I'd recommend Intercity Transit Lines(800-221-3936), a white glove mover of expensive auto's and motorcycles, and priced a tad higher than Allied. But, their transit times much faster, and nothing go's cross dock! The driver that picks up the vehicle with Intercity, will delivery it!! Just my 3 cents-BPK!!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your response. It helps a lot!!

Comment

I used Keyboard Carriage to ship from Georgia to Seattle a few years ago. They only ship motorcycles and pianos. They have a dolley made specifically for motorcycles and secure it to the van wall. I chose them cause I could pack all my camping gear and leave the gas and oil in the bike, where others required the bike to be necked. Only drawback was picking up and delivering in a residential area. They required a large parking lot type area for that. There is something to be said about your bike being secured in a van with a grand piano hanging on the wall...

Comment

Thanks Highlander. Keyboard also had the best price that I could find.

Comment

Working...
                          X